Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am I becoming homeless with my 2 year old?

• 24-04-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I need some advice please!
    I recently found out that my fiance was cheating and then he told me he wants to break up and he wants us(with his son) out of the house(he is renting) and his new gf in!!!
    I need to move out ASAP, cause now he's new gf already is living in here(I moved to a separate bedroom obviously)
    But the thing is im on social welfare at the moment and I'm afraid they're going to cancel all my payments if I go and tell them about my new situation, because I was getting social for the three of us, due to ex working only part time hours. Can they do that? Can they left me and my child without any payment? Or are they going to start a single parent payment progress and we would have to survive somehow without money for months??
    Or is it possible they're going to give us a social or council house?
    My life is such a mess at the moment and I have no idea what do I have to do next, so sorry if the questions are stupid!?..
    Anyone who has been in similar situation, can you please give me some advice?
    I also have no family in here so moving back to home is not an option for me!

And I really hope you don't start any negativity about me not working at the moment, because thats the last thing I need right now and please note that I have been working all my life until my child was born and I couldn't go back to work through health issues and just havent been lucky to find a new job cause it's a really small town!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Wow your ex sounds like such an ass. The cheek of him to move his girlfriend in. Go in to social welfare first thing Monday and explain the situation to them. They won't cut you off - you can't live on thin air.
    Is it just his name on the lease? If yours is on it can he not go somewhere else. Start looking up daft straight away for alternative accommodation. You don't say where you live but are there any shelters near you that you can stay temporarily?
    Awful situation to be in and I hope you get sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Why would you move out. You have to put yourself and your child first.

Let them shag away. I presume he means less than nothing to you right now.

By all means work on getting a new place, but until then make it clear you are going nowhere.

If he threatens you involve the guards.

Congrats on your lucky escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get on to your local Welfare Office ASAP. Tell them what happened. You will most likely get Single Parent allowance for yourself & child. You should also ask them how long are you likely to be without money. If its any more than 2 weeks, you should apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance. If you are lucky enough to get accomodation, you may be entitled to Rent Allowance. And apply for maintenance from your ex for your child. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Singlemum89

thanks guys, but I just can't afford the house myself and also can't afford to rent something on my own :(
    besides he says they're not leaving anyway. So If I don't want to live like this I need to move out, but where would I go? :(

thanks guys, but I just can't afford the house myself and also can't afford to rent something on my own :(
    besides he says they're not leaving anyway. So If I don't want to live like this I need to move out, but where would I go? :(

Am I missing something. Nothing changes re the rent. He and the lucky lady cannot stay there without paing rent either.

• Advertisement

No you are not missing anything, they can afford it, I can't on my own now, that's the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

And whatever about the OP, the ex has an obligation to contribute to the housing of his son. With this contribution the OP may be able to afford to live elsewhere.

No you are not missing anything, they can afford it, I can't on my own now, that's the point

So, you offer to pay a third. How long are you living there? You have rights. Your ex cannot just decide you are to leave.

even if they would accept that, who can possibly live like this? we were together so many years and now he's just f***ing another woman in next bedroom. I have to leave ASAP if I respect myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

Geniass wrote: »
    So, you offer to pay a third. How long are you living there? You have rights. Your ex cannot just decide you are to leave.

If she is not on the lease he can.

• Advertisement

hopgog wrote: »
    If she is not on the lease he can.
    There must be some common law (or is that tbe UK) Provision.

Might require legal advice but I cannot see how the father of a child could evict his own child at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭sham58107

What a total dick how you end up with him? have you any family/friends you could go to for now and then to social welfare and make sure you take mr wonderfull to the cleaners for child support!!

even if they would accept that, who can possibly live like this? we were together so many years and now he's just f***ing another woman in next bedroom. I have to leave ASAP if I respect myself!

Okay, I couldn't possibly put myself in that position so I'll leave that aspect after my very next comment - do not leave until you have another place to stay arranged.

I'm sure it's possible to get, it just may take time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Op you can take him to court for maintenance to help you with the costs of bringing up your son

You needs to talk to social welfare about your payments and the community welfare officer about rent supplerment so you know what you can afford to rent

thanks!
    So you think they wont let me homeless and without any income?
    I will go to the social welfare office first thing on Monday!
    Still scared but feel a little bit better now, thanks :)

As long as you keep your head you'll be fine.

Good luck Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

In your position, i would be leaving a lot of nappies lying around, forgetting to clean up and playing loud music. Creating a bit of a stink you could say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

He wants his two-year-old son out? what a piece of ****

Advertisement