Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation entitlements very confusing

Options
  • 07-04-2015 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, so I'm separated from my ex 15 months now. House has been sold and we are splitting the money halfway after the mortgage is paid off, I'm just wondering about his business. He became partner of his business while we were married and I have worked there part time doing admin since 2008, it's not ideal being there now but I have no other experience and need the job. He pays me maintenance every month for our two children but I'm wondering when everything is done legally and we file for separation and then divorce am I entitled to anything from the business.
    Although it's not written in paper anywhere, I have contributed in a way to building the business up and I worry about whether I'm entitled to anything from that. If anything, I think of security for the children's future, something to put into a college fund for them but if I thought I had absolutely no right to ask for anything I wouldn't. Any help of advise welcomed. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tough one this.

What do you mean by 'entitled to anything from the business'? Do you mean for your ex to give you a lump sum? If so how, bearing in mind the same business is paying you to work there and is the vehicle for him to give you maintenance for the children??

If I were you, I'd be getting legal advice. Personally, I'd leave the business alone. I can't see your ex leaving the kids potless, and would assume he would leave his share to them. If you want to make sure, then get a legal agreement stipulating this.

And I would also be making moves to get another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lostsoul01

Tough one this.

What do you mean by 'entitled to anything from the business'? Do you mean for your ex to give you a lump sum? If so how, bearing in mind the same business is paying you to work there and is the vehicle for him to give you maintenance for the children??

If I were you, I'd be getting legal advice. Personally, I'd leave the business alone. I can't see your ex leaving the kids potless, and would assume he would leave his share to them. If you want to make sure, then get a legal agreement stipulating this.

And I would also be making moves to get another job.

Thanks, I was thinking the same, just wanted opinions and advise from anyone in similar circumstances. I have no doubt he will always look after the children and that is all thats important to me.

Advertisement