Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sony bridge for mac: can't transfer apk file to phone

Options
  • 29-12-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

i am home for the xmas, and trying to install shazam encore apk file onto both of my sisters phones: xperia u & xperia S.

This file is located on my laptop by the way, and I need to use sony bridge for mac in order to transfer the file over to both their phones.

I have already successfully installed this file onto my galaxy s2, so there is no issue with the file.

ony bridge for mac,appears to only allows me transfer music and pics, but what about docs, and other such files?

Maybe I am missing something here....

I have tried creating a new folder and transferring the apk file (by creating a folder under both photos and music on the left hand side of sony bridge for mac, however the file is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

not sure of the ins and outs of sony bridge, but emailing it to your sisters and checking it from the phone should prob allow you to install it. I've done this before with other android phones, without a problem.

you might need to allow apps to be installed from 'unknown sources' in the android settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

not sure of the ins and outs of sony bridge, but emailing it to your sisters and checking it from the phone should prob allow you to install it. I've done this before with other android phones, without a problem.

you might need to allow apps to be installed from 'unknown sources' in the android settings.
    +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dropbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Astro File Manager and Google Drive/Dropbox.

On my Mac I use Google Drive for Mac which shows as a location in finder.

Copy the file to google drive then start Astro on phone, go into Astro and it will be allow you to connect to Google Drive.

Tap the apk and it will download it and start the install dialog for you without the need to copy it to the phone first.

Easiest way I found. You can do it with Sony bridge for Mac, not on my Mac at the moment but there is a way to do it. I think you can drag and drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I only use Sony Bridge for updates.

I bluetooth the files from my laptop to my phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the tips lads, but surely its a case of the phone appearing as an external disk drive, drag and drop??

thats how it is on my galaxy s2?

I would be utterly dissappointed if this is the case.

thanks for the suggestions, but i am trying to send across a 200MB folder to my sisters phone, not even sure if bluetooth would do that?

thanks, sorry for sounding so disheartened, it's just that i bought these android phones for my 2 sisters on the basis that everything would be drag and drop unlike the iphone.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So, instead of using the Sony Bloatware, try going to my computer and opening the SD card on the phone as removable storage. this may require you to connect from the phone via a pop up notification.

TBH I have never installed the PC software that comes with phones since I started using Android.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

thanks for the tips lads, but surely its a case of the phone appearing as an external disk drive, drag and drop??

thanks for the suggestions, but i am trying to send across a 200MB folder to my sisters phone, not even sure if bluetooth would do that?

thanks, sorry for sounding so disheartened, it's just that i bought these android phones for my 2 sisters on the basis that everything would be drag and drop unlike the iphone.

thanks

I reckon it is due to Apple still not supporting MTP for some reason, and your Sony phone uses that particular protocol possibly. Of course Mass Storage would definitely be my preference but MTP is more widely accepted for media devices these days (DRM & other stuff)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

both the phones only have internal memory, i.e. neither had sd card slots.

not sure if this influences whether this internal memory can or cannot be listed in disk drives on MY COMPUTER....

utterly disappointed by the fact that the sony's are not as wide open for use as the samsung's

thanks gang

I reckon it's coz it's MTP and Mac.

I can't drag and drop stuff on my kindle coz it's only MTP. I had to download other software to allow me to do that.

As MagicMarker said, Dropbox. It's the handiest out there for large files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

try this:

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I use it with my Motorola Xoom tablet. Can't guarantee it, but should hopefully work if the issue is with MTP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

thanks

It is drag and drop...

Sony bridge for Mac is drag and drop. The only reason you need the software for Mac is because Apple don't have OS level support for MTP.

It works seamlessly in Windows without the need to install any software. It is an Apple support issue and the Sony work around software supports drag and drop for Mac.

try this:

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I use it with my Motorola Xoom tablet. Can't guarantee it, but should hopefully work if the issue is with MTP.

Yeah that's what I have for the kindle and it works a treat OP.

I wouldn't blame the phone either as thebman says, it's an Apple issue.

Advertisement