Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus pass for both Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann

• 30-06-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a bus pass that works on both Dublin bus and Bus eireann anybody got any idea's or know that best place to buy them ?

thanks Nathan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can get them from Dublin Bus certainly, probably BÉ also. There are various combinations, so check what suits you best. You can also get Irish Rail and Luas add-ons.

If you are an employee, look at taxsaver.ie

Where are you travelling between?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

Victor wrote: »
    You can get them from Dublin Bus certainly, probably BÉ also. There are various combinations, so check what suits you best. You can also get Irish Rail and Luas add-ons.

If you are an employee, look at taxsaver.ie

Where are you travelling between?

I'm starting fas soon and need two buses to get there one is from Meath to Dublin then the other from Dublin to Dardale (Malihide road) but don't won't to be spending money on two different bus passes if there is a way to get one that works for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Seeing from the other thread that you are coming from Ratoath, then the Medium Hop ticket covers you for all travel on Bus Eireann, Iarnrod Eireann and Dublin Bus within the Medium Hop Zone. It is only available in a weekly form for EUR 52.50 and is valid from a Sunday to the following Saturday.

However, you could get a 10 journey ticket for EUR 31.50 for the Bus Eireann journey by buying online at www.buseireann.ie - it is valid for 1 week, and 10 trips on the 27 bus will cost EUR 18.50 by paying cash on the bus which gives a total of EUR 50.

The Bus Eireann 10 Journey ticket is valid for ten journeys for a period of seven consecutive days inclusive of date of issue and including Sundays, for the journey selected only. For example a Ticket issued on Tuesday is valid up to and including the following Monday.

The Medium Hop ticket can be bought in Busaras, any Irish Rail station, or Dublin Bus Head Office in O'Connell Street and you'll need a CIE photo ID to go with it.

There is no taxsaver option for this ticket unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

useful info from http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ticketing.php
    The pricing structure and validity of many weekly, monthly and annual tickets is expressed on a zonal basis in the Greater Dublin Region. Tickets are valid for all journeys within specified zone. The details of these zones is not available in recent timetables for reasons unknown.

Zone List:
    Inner Short Hop: Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Bray and all Luas services
    (Outer) Short Hop: Balbriggan, Maynooth, M3 Parkway, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Kilcoole and all Luas and Dublin Bus services
    Medium Hop: Gormanston, Kilcock and Sallins & Naas
    Long Hop: Drogheda, Enfield, Kildare and Wicklow
    Giant Hop: Dundalk, Mullingar, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Carlow and Gorey
    now, THERE is intrgrated ticketing in action already in the Dublin area for the past 10 years+.

If only they sold single transsferable tickets on the same basis we'd be flying.

These tickets have been available since the 1980s and certainly not just the last 10 years!!

The zones are listed here:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=94

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

So basically I cant buy a Dublin bus week pass and use it on a Bus Éireann bus ? Nor there is a pass I can buy that does that :/ ..

Standard Dublin Bus prepaid tickets are not valid on Bus Eireann.

The only options are as I outlined above, repeated below. I am suggesting that if you are only going to use the Bus Eireann and 27 each way, then it is slightly cheaper to go with a Bus Eireann 10 journey ticket and pay the driver on the 27. If you plan on doing more, then get a medium hop ticket.

1) The CIE Medium Hop weekly ticket - valid for unlimited travel on Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Iarnrod Eireann in the Medium Hop zone - Costs EUR 52.50 and valid Sunday to Saturday

2) As I suggested above - get a 10 Journey Ratoath-Dublin ticket online at www.buseireann.ie and pay the driver on the 27 - Costs EUR 50.00.

The choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

Can't get a commuter pass for Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann. Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

nathancool wrote: »
    So basically I cant buy a Dublin bus week pass and use it on a Bus Éireann bus ? Nor there is a pass I can buy that does that :/ ..
    If you buy your Bus Eireann ticket online you will save 5% on the cost and you should get a leap card which will save you money on the 27 bus fare, but your best option is probably the medium hop weekly ticket as it allows unlimited travel for 7 days on Bus Eireann, Irish Rail and Dublin bus within the medium hop zone.

This thread is from a year ago.

I suspect the OP had made his choice by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement