Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about Part Time Jobseeker's Benefits

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody could help me. I was on the x's and o's around this time last year, but stopped because I was picking up close too 5 Days work. Work is beginning to get slow now and my hours are bit all over the place, 10 hours one week, 45 the next! What I'm wondering is would I be still entitled to go on the x's and o's even do I work 5 day week's sometimes? I ask because I have read that you must be out of work for at least 3 days to apply but my friends all tell me they work 4 and 5 days sometimes with no problems. Cheers for any feedback would greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You can open a casual claim if some weeks you are working 3 days or less. The weeks you work >3 days you will not be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Just called in to them today to check and was told because some weeks I work 5 days I wasn't entitled to anything, which is absolutely ridiculous because my brother whose on the full dole and rent allowance ends up with more money(after rent and bills)for the week than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Why are you expecting to get paid dole for days you are working?:confused:

If that was the case, all full time employed people should get the dole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

LickiRake wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering if anybody could help me. I was on the x's and o's around this time last year, but stopped because I was picking up close too 5 Days work. Work is beginning to get slow now and my hours are bit all over the place, 10 hours one week, 45 the next! What I'm wondering is would I be still entitled to go on the x's and o's even do I work 5 day week's sometimes? I ask because I have read that you must be out of work for at least 3 days to apply but my friends all tell me they work 4 and 5 days sometimes with no problems. Cheers for any feedback would greatly appreciate it!

If you work a ten hour week consisting of five 2 hour days then you won't be entitled to anything for that week. It basically doesn't matter if you work an hour or twelve in a day, it's still classed as a day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Why are you expecting to get paid dole for days you are working?:confused:

If that was the case, all full time employed people should get the dole too.

sometimes the dole is more, I know that when I work 2 hours on x's and o's I get 18 euro. I am means tested each day I work by 20 euro. It costs me almost a tenner to drive to and from work a day. Sometimes its not worth declaring that you worked for one day when the pay is so low and the hours so utterly crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

mitty87 wrote: »
    sometimes the dole is more, I know that when I work 2 hours on x's and o's I get 18 euro. I am means tested each day I work by 20 euro. It costs me almost a tenner to drive to and from work a day. Sometimes its not worth declaring that you worked for one day when the pay is so low and the hours so utterly crap.
    Not declaring a day would be fraud.
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement