Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Pedals

Options
  • 30-08-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to expand my pedal collection but I'm, not sure which ones are best.
    At the moment, I'm using a boss metal zone and a marshall guv'nor.
    I was thinking about expanding further into the Marshall series.
    Does anybody else use them and would they be able to provide some more info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well I suppose it would depend on what kind of pedal you're after. I'd say if you'd give us an idea, you'd get some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

An idea to a sound I'm trying to mimic?
    Well, I guess that's not what I'm getting at.

I want to know if anyone else uses these series and can vouch for the quality, reliability to cost etc...especially compared to other series.

Sorry if I didn't explain this clearly first time.

In fairness, you did say:
    I'm looking to expand my pedal collection but I'm, not sure which ones are best.

That was the part that stuck out the most.

So what you're really asking about is specifically Marshall pedals. Well honestly, it's entirely pointless to solely consider a single brand, especially considering the limited range Marshall have on offer, and the fact that a lot of companies will excel with one particular pedal, the Ibanez Tubescreamer and ISP Decimator for example.

You're still far better off saying what kind of pedals you're after, not what sound you're trying to mimic, but what function you need to add to your collection. Do you need another overdrive? EQ maybe? Reverb? Chorus? What exactly are you looking to add?

Then we can get on with recommending some specific pedals that would be the best for that particular function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A tuner pedal is a guitarists best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

when u say u wanna branch out do u mean new sounds or inprove your own sound

tuner pedal and an eq pedal will improve on your existing sound/setup.

chorus and delay an/or reverb will add an extra depth to your sound and make it more interesting (well thats the idea anyway)

• Advertisement

For the moment I'm looking at a chrous and a delay, but I only have experience with two brands.
    I assumed that I could figure out which was best to buy from the feedback on all the brands instead of individual pedals, but since that's not the case, I guess I'm just asking which brands do the best chorus and delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

the line 6 echo aprks a cool delay, boss dd-3's or dd-6's are nice simple and reliable, the danelectro delay isnt half bad either,

never tried the digitech one

i use a marshall ed-1 compressor and its a grand lil compressor, i much prefare it to the digitech or boss one, there not bad pedals really

ive only ever tried the boss chorus, the ch-1 is a simple classic and effective the chorus ensemble is good too, more acousticy suited

but just go into town and try a few out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Can't beat an EHX Small Clone for that classic chorus sound, theyre cheap too. I second that vote for the Line 6 EP delay, best delay out there by far under €200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

another echo park here and its line6 tonecore range brother space chorus is fantastic...i don't think i could buy another choruspedalafter having a boss ch-1 tho

so echo park and boss ch-1 thats my 2 cents

Can't beat an EHX Small Clone for that classic chorus sound, theyre cheap too. I second that vote for the Line 6 EP delay, best delay out there by far under €200

Agreed on the Small Clone. ElectroHarmonix do some great stuff. I'd say the Deluxe Memory Man would be worth checking out if you don't want to go down the digital route, still under the €200 mark.

• Advertisement

Cool.
    Thanks a lot all.

Cool.
    Thanks a lot all.

Just one question though. Have you considered a high end Multieffects unit? Could be a hell of a lot handier than having a few pedals, and work out much cheaper in the long run.

Advertisement