Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 'Horizon Go' app for Android and iPhone launched

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭

This new app combines the functions of 'Horizon TV' and the (iTunes only) 'TV Remote' apps.

For Android user the good news is that the new app gives you the function of the TV Remote app which was previously only available on Apple devices.

It supports Apple iOS6 and later so will run on the 4th gen iTouch and the iPhones 3GS and later models.

If you already have 'Horizon TV' installed, do an update (iTunes or Android) and it will be replaced by Horizon Go. When you're happy with the remote functionality you can uninstall the Horizon 'TV Remote' app (iTunes only).

If you do not have the Horizon TV app installed, select the appropriate link below....

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/horizon-go/id549148968?mt=8

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgi.orionandroid&hl=en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Havent got it to record yet, but box is busy so will try later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I like the new UI it's a pity they didn't add 3G streaming. It would be great if BT allowed 3G streaming through UPC overall it's a nice update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Android version working well for me on my Galaxy Note 3 :) Thanks for the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I updated last night and, apart from it now being called 'Horizon Go', I can't see any difference...

(That said, it's a good app and I use it fairly frequently, was a godsend during the world cup).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I updated last night and, apart from it now being called 'Horizon Go', I can't see any difference...

You probably haven't yet noticed the remote control icon at the bottom of the functions menu. For Android users this is a new facility, Apple users previously had this function but in a separate app.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You probably haven't yet noticed the remote control icon at the bottom of the functions menu. For Android users this is a new facility, Apple users previously had this function but in a separate app.

Yeah, I saw it but that was there before the latest update too (on Android anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Yea android its just a new name for me also, The UI was updated to this layout week or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Still can't get the remote record to work on the ANdroid app. Anyone else having problems with it? Have uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted box (Thomson). Don't think it has to be a Horizon box as the laptop version is working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is it any better than the piece of junk that the entire Horizon tv system is?

Its a free app, try it for yourself.

• Advertisement

Good info in that about how different content rights affect providers ability to offer differnet services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wonder where they got the name from...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I know I couldn't believe it either, talk about the laziest marketing ever.

You'd almost think Sky would have a possible trademark/copyright infringement case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

At least we know now that UPC are planning an out of home viewing service at some point down the road. Perhaps if RTE hadn't taken proceedings it would have been launched along with this app (otherwise the name change to Horizon Go doesn't make an awful lot of sense)

Its actually a decent app, very fluid on my 5s. In fact i think ill be using the tile view to see whats on and changing the channel that way rather than trying to navigate the guide with the remote.

icdg wrote: »
    At least we know now that UPC are planning an out of home viewing service at some point down the road. Perhaps if RTE hadn't taken proceedings it would have been launched along with this app (otherwise the name change to Horizon Go doesn't make an awful lot of sense)

I would say they have the rights for all the channels they currently offer on Horizon.tv but as you said RTE is the stumbling block.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I would say they have the rights for all the channels they currently offer on Horizon.tv but as you said RTE is the stumbling block.

UPC should offer to pay RTE for every complete programme viewed, it cant be that much!

Another case of RTE failing to offer the license holders what they want and penalizing a competitor for providing a better service. Will UPC get any of this new broadcast license money i wonder? They absolutely deserve it more than that shower out in Donnybrook.

I wonder will this be added to Horizon Go when it launches it's on the go service no need for SKY Atlantic then.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/215842/upc-czech-republic-adds-hbo-go/

I wonder will this be added to Horizon Go when it launches it's on the go service no need for SKY Atlantic then.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/215842/upc-czech-republic-adds-hbo-go/

It would be awesome but HBO have an exclusive deal with Sky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement