Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Price increase??

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

califano wrote: »
    Is it possible to negotiate a price decrease but not go with tyhe horizon product instead stay with your old router and tv box?.
    Is is also possible to get 200MB on the old white thompson modem?

Pretty certain only the current Technicolor, the Cisco EPC3925 and Horizon support the 200Mb home (or 250Mb business) product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

califano wrote: »
    Is it possible to negotiate a price decrease but not go with tyhe horizon product instead stay with your old router and tv box?.
    Is is also possible to get 200MB on the old white thompson modem?

Rang UPC yesterday. I was paying almost e130 a month. I'm on the fibre power essential anytime world pack with sky sports, digital + and multiroom.

I told them I wanted to cancel and move to sky. Got put through to loyalty department and after a bit of haggling got it down to 82 a month with extra music channels & Disney channel included. I'm signed to a new 12 month contract.

It all depends who you get through to Califano. Some people on here may have gotten even better deals. The only advice I'll give is, don't accept the first offer or even the second. Haggle a bit.

They will try and push the Horizon product with you at first. I just told them I don't want it, that I'm happy with the product, it's the price I was paying I wasn't happy with.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

UPC Increase,
    My letter tells me that due to programming, development etc.etc that my monthly charge will be increased by €3.50 per month
    that's €42 per year ( for basic tv ).
    Here is the silly double speak....if I register within 30 days I can avail of a discount of that same charge WTF.

I rang UPC and complained that their letter was a contradiction in terms and that as they had my details ie. Name / address/ and account No.I was in fact registered .... but according to the website they wanted my Phone No. my Mobile No. email address and a secret question plus my date of birth. What does my date of birth have to do with my account ??.

My brother who lives in Terenure also rang UPC and that same charge of €3.50 was waived over the phone.
    When I phoned I was informed that I would have to Register all those extra details that I have mentioned to get that discount.

I sent a letter of complaint to the Customer Care Manager in UPC and to this date he has not had the decency to answer it.

Forward 2 months into my 6 monthly payment cycle I have installed a Triax Combo box TSC 114 (Satellite and Saorview ) cost €80 ..a dish same as the SKY one with 4 way LNB cost €49.00 ( to wire to bedrooms at a later stage ) and have yet to put up a small aerial for the Saorview even though Saorview channels are hopping in on a temp. rabbits ears. The only channel that will be missing is the Discovery one ...but who cares I have dozens of others available.

I rewired the system myself and it's independent of the UPC cable...so I have 2 systems running at the moment.

When UPC come looking for their next 6 months ( in advance ) payment I have a few options open to me.
    As they have ignored my letter I could also ignore their renewal demand...they can disconnect me from the system and perhaps I can charge them the use of my Facia board to relay their signal to the next house. If that is not a runner God help[ them if they want to upgrade the cableing.

OR.........

I might offer them €100.00 per year just to keep their cable service as a secondary one. Either way UPC are the losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

lionela wrote: »
    I rang UPC and complained that their letter was a contradiction in terms and that as they had my details ie. Name / address/ and account No.I was in fact registered .... but according to the website they wanted my Phone No. my Mobile No. email address and a secret question plus my date of birth. What does my date of birth have to do with my account ??.

There is no point in complaining. UPC give a discount for people who get ebills etc, and who do business over the internet, as it costs them less. They want your date of birth so that you can be identified if you lose your password. Now I suppose a menu of secret questions, rather than just DOB might be more flexible, but you could just also pay the €3.50.

As they have ignored my letter I could also ignore their renewal demand...they can disconnect me from the system and perhaps I can charge them the use of my Facia board to relay their signal to the next house. If that is not a runner God help[ them if they want to upgrade the cableing.

You have already agreed to allow them use your facia.

perhaps I can charge them the use of my Facia board to relay their signal to the next house. If that is not a runner God help[ them if they want to upgrade the cableing.

They will have a wayleave agreement in place. Won't get a cent out of them and interference with the cables / them while upgrading them would be an offence.

Said agreement may have been made with a former owner or even the developer of the house but that has no bearing - it still stands.

• Advertisement

Sorry Boys ...I do not have an agreement signed or verbal with UPC or any previous cable Co.other than the fact that the cable was placed on the property when cable first came on the market and that's going back some years.

I go back to RTE Relays :Phoenix: Cablelink and might I mention the Logo Cablelink was first penned by my younger brother when he was in the Aerial Erection business but he never registered that logo.

The fact that the cable is on my house over those years does not in my book give UPC any legal rights over my ownership of the property other than the consideration for my neighbours

Anyone on.. or at ..my property whether to service / upgrade or any other business would be obliged to firstly have my permission to do so and to say that it is an offence to impede them ..where are you.. coming from.

I bought my house New.... some 54 years ago and I own it lock stock and barrel and bought out the ground rent as well.
    So I am king of my castle.

I would have at least expected a reply to my letter from the Customer Care Manager but as I have said he does not have the decency to do that.

Correct me if I am wrong..I also note in the threads that some people are paying €17 per month for basic TV. (€204 per year) why I wonder am I paying at the moment without the increase €330.

Rant over.... I have said my piece

I'd be willing to lay money that if you tried to challenge it, UPC would find something you signed and forgot about for RTE. That's where I'm "coming from".

You would lose that bet, I signed nothing Re. wayleave but having said that.

I have been on cable TV since it's inception and have paid my fees when requested by whoever was flavour of the month.

Besides my previous rant it would appear that UPC in this instance also want paperless billing for all , and any customer not complying with their demands will be penalised.

To be compliant one firstly needs a computer /laptop then of coarse there are broadband ./bank charges / printer ink and paper costs and UPC and a lot of other service providers want users to absorb those costs.

A 60p stamp twice yearly is all it costs UPC to bill me outside giving someone employment to fill an envelope. and I give them €330 per year

I have been paying over the years for a basic TV cable package and in all those years there has never been a problem with the cable or any engineers having to call on me.

With the Satelite system that I have installed I am quite content with losing some channels and I will not have to put up with any dictatorial demands from UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

You would lose that bet, I signed nothing Re. wayleave but having said that.

I have been on cable TV since it's inception and have paid my fees when requested by whoever was flavour of the month.

Besides my previous rant it would appear that UPC in this instance also want paperless billing for all , and any customer not complying with their demands will be penalised.

To be compliant one firstly needs a computer /laptop then of coarse there are broadband ./bank charges / printer ink and paper costs and UPC and a lot of other service providers want users to absorb those costs.

A 60p stamp twice yearly is all it costs UPC to bill me outside giving someone employment to fill an envelope. and I give them €330 per year

I have been paying over the years for a basic TV cable package and in all those years there has never been a problem with the cable or any engineers having to call on me.

With the Satelite system that I have installed I am quite content with losing some channels and I will not have to put up with any dictatorial demands from UPC

Asking somebody to switch to paperless billing is hardly what you'd call dictatorial!

Look at your bill and it will tell you what you are paying 330 a year for.

In regard to the cable on your property, it may well have been a deal done with the house builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Asking somebody to switch to paperless billing is hardly what you'd call dictatorial!...

Maybe not. But lots of people but especially older people do not have a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe not. But lots of people but especially older people do not have a computer.

Nobody is forced to switch, as long as they pay the extra costs rather than expecting other people to pay for them.

Five lamps,

Cable Tv was not in existance when my house was built, there were thousands of aerials across the city skyline at the time so that puts to bed any contract or otherwise Re. wayleave for TV cables with the builders.

I have no problem with paperless billing per se. but UPC have concocted a story about "programming and developing as the reason to increase the fees per month and to then say that by " registering" the charge will not apply.

Why the big Lie....
    The letter gives a load of "bells and whistles" about controling the account online anytime ....that's tripe.. and if you read it with an intelligent mind there is no sense in it. If you recieved that letter read it again.

UPC is not a bank...that one would log onto to check your balance or see if payments etc. went in or out.

I personally would have no reason whatsoever to log into my UPC account at any time.

So that's it lads....Customer Care does not apply in my case, my letter has remained unanswered and that sums up what I can only describe as indifference and apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Five lamps,

Cable Tv was not in existance when my house was built, there were thousands of aerials across the city skyline at the time so that puts to bed any contract or otherwise Re. wayleave for TV cables with the builders.

I have no problem with paperless billing per se. but UPC have concocted a story about "programming and developing as the reason to increase the fees per month and to then say that by " registering" the charge will not apply.

Why the big Lie....
    The letter gives a load of "bells and whistles" about controling the account online anytime ....that's tripe.. and if you read it with an intelligent mind there is no sense in it. If you recieved that letter read it again.

UPC is not a bank...that one would log onto to check your balance or see if payments etc. went in or out.

I personally would have no reason whatsoever to log into my UPC account at any time.

So that's it lads....Customer Care does not apply in my case, my letter has remained unanswered and that sums up what I can only describe as indifference and apathy.

Why don't. You call upc and ask them to remove their cables/junction boxes from your property and let us know the answer instead of this thread filling up with speculation?

Ask UPC for a written copy of Wayleave or Easement that they have for your property.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=45601&p=618887

If they don't have one, you may be able to ask them to remove the cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

This thread is like a Joe Duffy show on acid.

...its a good match for the service so...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

"Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

We decided to downgrade at this point as fees were too high.
    Now when we want to cancel our subscription (13 months after opening an account) they are saying we will incur €200 fee as we changed to a new contract 7 months ago.
    We didn't WANT to change to a new contract, we were forced into it, it said "without penalty".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

"Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

Now when we want to cancel our subscription (13 months after opening an account) they are saying we will incur €200 fee as we changed to a new contract 7 months ago.
    We didn't WANT to change to a new contract, we were forced into it, it said "without penalty".

Any change in contract/service provided whether up/down or new hardware triggers a new 12 month contract.

Only premium channels can be taken/removed without affecting overall contract I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Ask here... http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Increase on UPC eh?

Makes me laugh, if you look on their web site, and try to find out what they offer in Ashbourne, there's nothing found.

Might be something to do with the problem that their "cable" system in Ashbourne is now 20 years out of date, it's still the old Ashbourne Relays network, operating on VHF channels that some (most) modern sets can't even tune in accurately, and the quality is dire, there are so many issues with it, but do UPC actually do anything about it? Not a thing.

It's as bad now as it was when we moved to Ashbourne some 20 years ago, the names have changes, Cable Management, then Chorus, then UPC, but the underlying issue is that UPC have ignored their cable systems for years.

Now that Eircom are installing Fibre locally, I can see a time coming when UPC will just abandon the cable network, and good thing too, I will be very happy to tear down the badly installed and untidy cable that was put all over the place at various times.

Gave up on them a long time ago, best thing we've done in a long time, once I'd got rid of the VHF signals, and put a Sky Quattro Multilink system in, the overall quality issues went away, and with Saorview now replacing the UPC signal, the system is watchable again.

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/print/a_id/320

I hope you can read with what I got by searching from Google.

Here is a little bit of information what I know about UPC analogue formally known as Cablelink.

You can still get the analogue upc service as it acts as a additional or complimentary spectrum to the VHF signal as well as getting Saorview. Saorview is an analogue terrestrial platform, upc analogue is a analogue cable platform. Both platforms operate on seperate signals within the VHF band from your local transmitter that are operated by 2rn formally RTE NL.

The only way you can get UPC analogue channels is still with a valid upc subscription. You have a total of 17 TV channels (all of which in SD) for upc analogue. If you use Saorview, you tune into the Saorview approved box or TV to only get the Irish channels like both RTE1 and RTE2 in HD and TG4 etc.

You are still allowed to have both Saorview and UPC analogue on your TV if you wanted them as one of your TV options for your home. My family had been subscribed to UPC analogue for years and found it good to use. I made a foolish decision to actually get rid of the analogue cable and get onto Saorview/FTA Satellite near the of time of the ASO/DSO. I was noted by many other posters on boards to keep the cable after all after initially not listening to them.

From my point of view the method in which UPC tries to bring new products onto their product line is that they use them as a way to entice customers off the analogue service to give their customers real extra valuable incentives like the BB, UPC Digital and the Horizon service so that the service does not diminish in it's popularity.

The customer base from the analogue cable service was one of the main targets in getting upc to sell their extra products to them. Today it has paid them huge dividends in investing in their products which should have greatly improved them overtime.

Sure we know there is no investment to maintain these cables properly. UPC is currently prioritising their efforts on the BB and Horizon because of gradual improvement of technology in the cable TV market. But their function to provide analogue TV is amazingly still there today. It is still quite a surprise to have a platform like this in the 21st century.

Did it surprise you to hear this news even it comes to you more than two years later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So, what's the consensus?

I'd be inclined to think that's it's always a good idea to exercise a contractual get out clause if you're offered it.

Is cancelling and re-signing the way to go here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This is one of the reasons WHY we don't drag up old threads - this is last years thread!

This year's one is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057353468&page=6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement