Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going away parties

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Spot on, it was his business but don't you think it was a bit daft though?

Having a party like that and coming home after a couple of months? I'd be embarrassed.

I wouldn't be having a party because I'm a tight c*nt with money, but it wouldn't bother me if someone else did! In fact I'd skip my dinner and go early for some free munch. People never turn up early for a party, you get the best food and you're pissed when everyone arrives ;)

I wouldn't be embarrassed at coming home after two months. It's his own business. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Doesn't make him less of a man or some stupid sh*t like that. I'd say his parents are probably delighted. I'd be happy for them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

****ing friends are more hassle than their worth, expecting you to spend time talkign to them and whatnot. Better off spending your life alone.

"I don't keep friends, in times of war they can betray valuable secrets about you."

-Carlton Banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Andy!! wrote: »
    Jesus get some real problems!! You're not even complaining about something that is currently happening!:pac:

It's obvious it isn't a problem. Just something I'm commenting on.

Do you go around every thread on boards making sure every topic is a real problem? GTF.

token101 wrote: »
    It's his own business. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Doesn't make him less of a man or some stupid sh*t like that. I'd say his parents are probably delighted. I'd be happy for them tbh.

I agree with that but I reckon it puts pressure on people to stay longer than they might. If I went abroad after having a big shindig I'd be embarrassed coming home a few weeks later. You'd have people giving the "home already?" routine. It would definitely bother some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I agree with that but I reckon it puts pressure on people to stay longer than they might. If I went abroad after having a big shindig I'd be embarrassed coming home a few weeks later. You'd have people giving the "home already?" routine. It would definitely bother some people.

Why do you give a sh1t?

Honestly unless these going away parties are in a 5 star hotel function room with ice sculptures and thousands of euro spent on food and drink and entertainment, then what the hell is your problem?

Someone is going away for a few months, years, maybe even for good, and they want to have one last night with all their friends and familys. Sure most weekends people have a p1ss up for no reason, so I don't see why ya shouldn't when somebodys leaving the country.

The things that bother people...I will never understand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Where did he say it bothered him? In the OP he mentions that it bemuses him

Why do you give a sh1t?

Honestly unless these going away parties are in a 5 star hotel function room with ice sculptures and thousands of euro spent on food and drink and entertainment, then what the hell is your problem?

Someone is going away for a few months, years, maybe even for good, and they want to have one last night with all their friends and familys. Sure most weekends people have a p1ss up for no reason, so I don't see why ya shouldn't when somebodys leaving the country.

Truth be told it doesn't bother me at all. I started the thread because you see them less because people are leaving in droves now.

You seems outraged at me giving an opinion on a forum, seems every thread on AH has to be about something serious. F*ck if I linked it to the bankers or Bertie I might have got away with it too..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sure why bother having friends at all.

Exactly. I don't need friends as they are just an ego massage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Truth be told it doesn't bother me at all. I started the thread because you see them less because people are leaving in droves now.

You seems outraged at me giving an opinion on a forum, seems every thread on AH has to be about something serious. F*ck if I linked it to the bankers or Bertie I might have got away with it too..

Not outraged. I just think it's a ridiculous opinion to have, for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. After all, this is a forum and - shock, horror - some people are going to disagree with you ;)

To get back to your original point, I'm young enough myself so I wouldn't know if there were a lot of going away parties in the past, but they are fairly common today. I have a leaving party at least once every 3 months - dunno if that's considered more common than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Im leaving for Saudi, where there's no booze. I'll be f*cked if Im not asking my mates to come on the piss with me before I go! Although no hotel, band stuff. Cans in the gaff and then into town for some dancing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

They will be back with there tail between there legs within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Think the idea that you go for a few pints with your mates is the best, these are the lads you have been with most of the time not the person that doesnt even know how you are getting on when you are abroad or even knows you. You can make the most of your night then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5gtGk9XZ8

'buy me beer and whiskey cause I'm going far away'

any excuse for a few free drinks...

Advertisement