Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going away parties

Options
  • 23-03-2012 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember these? In the middle of the Celtic Tiger, I recall a few people going abroad for work but mostly just to travel for a year.

Some threw a party in their local. It always bemused me. I find most people just GTFO without the need to highlight it. I'm sure a lot of people would still like their party but realise no one cares and people simply can't afford it. Another thing we don't miss imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Going away parties still happen just so you know. Was at one a few months ago for someone leaving the country. There's also leaving work place parties, leaving the general are parties, any excuse for a party really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Going away parties still happen just so you know. Was at one a few months ago for someone leaving the country. There's also leaving work place parties, leaving the general are parties, any excuse for a party really.

They're a lot rarer now. During the boom there was even 'coming back' parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Far too many leaving parties now for my liking actually, and the saddest part is it's not for the sole purpose of broadening their horizons. I can't see there being many "coming back parties" for quite a few years to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Anyone remember these? In the middle of the Celtic Tiger, I recall a few people going abroad for work but mostly just to travel for a year.

Some threw a party in their local. It always bemused me. I find most people just GTFO without the need to highlight it. I'm sure a lot of people would still like their party but realise no one cares and people simply can't afford it. Another thing we don't miss imo.

It's just a piss up with people you might not see for a while. No one is forcing you to go. Stay at home sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

sure if some one going away for a year could be 3 whats the harm in giving them a good send off... Wheres the harm in having a session amongst friends ? :confused:

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    It's just a piss up with people you might not see for a while. No one is forcing you to go. Stay at home sure.

I'm not talking about meeting up for a few drinks.

I'm talking about bands and a venue being booked with all the trimmings.
    I was at one a few years back and the guy was home 2 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I prefer to celebrate their departure after they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought this was another FF bashing thread.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought this was another FF bashing thread.

Fire in, I won't stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've been to around 9 or 10 going away parties in the last 3 months.

I'm talking proper parties in hotels with music, food etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

They're a lot rarer now. During the boom there was even 'coming back' parties.

That is true, they are a lot rarer nowadays. Coming back parties? I'll have to add that to the book of excuses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I like parties! :(

Don't go if you don't! :confused:

That is true, they are a lot rarer nowadays. Coming back parties? I'll have to add that to the book of excuses :D

"Coming back party? Sure I didn't even know he was gone" :D
    Guill wrote: »
    I like parties! :(

Don't go if you don't! :confused:

If I was leaving the country I'd probably just leave. Wouldn't need my ego massaged to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've been to around 9 or 10 going away parties in the last 3 months.

I'm talking proper parties in hotels with music, food etc.

man this is you your on a different level to classy :cool:

those chocolate fondants, )not better man( :cool:

If I was leaving the country I'd probably just leave. Wouldn't need my ego massaged to do it.

Wow you are bitter. I was at three recent going away parties. They were a chance to get everyone together and have a laugh and say goodbye. No ego masaging, just friends parting ways for a time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Money racket is all it is.

Wow you are bitter. I was at three recent going away parties. They were a chance to get everyone together and have a laugh and say goodbye. No ego masaging, just friends parting ways for a time.

Wow you're dramatic. They're not going to a death camp.

All they're doing is hopping on a plane and going to work somewhere else. Half will be home before you know it. Odds are you'll be talking to them on Skype anyway,.

I'm not talking about meeting up for a few drinks.

I'm talking about bands and a venue being booked with all the trimmings.
    I was at one a few years back and the guy was home 2 months later.

Sure you just need new friends in that case. Maybe he blew all his money on the band? Maybe you should be grateful he wasted his money on trying to feed and entertain you?

Wow you're dramatic. They're not going to a death camp.

All they're doing is hopping on a plane and going to work somewhere else. Half will be home before you know it. Odds are you'll be talking to them on Skype anyway,.

So having one last session with people that I would normally spend my weekends with is as good as a chat on skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sure why bother having friends at all.

• Advertisement

Sure you just need new friends in that case. Maybe he blew all his money on the band? Maybe you should be grateful he wasted his money on trying to feed and entertain you?

No he didn't blow his money. Parents paid for it all, he just couldn't hack it. I've no problem with that but people were making fun of him when he came back after having a party like he did.
    So having one last session with people that I would normally spend my weekends with is as good as a chat on skype?

Have a session but there's no need to over do it by inviting all your long lost relatives and people you wouldn't have seen for years anyway? People take the piss with these things that's my point.

Are you paying for these parties or wha?

I tried to do that.. Birthday was just before I left and I just chilled out with 2 good friends and a bottle of Buckfast instead of makin a deal of it. One of the best moments in a long time when I walked straight into a surprise party everyone turned up for. Proper shock.

So I'm all for leaving parties.. (As in, get all your friends out for a drink). I dunno what I was thinking not getting everyone together but it worked out good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds like you have no mates OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Are Fianna Fail having one for Bertie Ahern? Followed by one for Fianna Fail.

Sounds like you have no mates OP.

I've plenty that are gone abroad. One has been gone for near four years, his going away party was having his mates over to his for a few drinks. He didn't feel the need to invite the town..

No he didn't blow his money. Parents paid for it all, he just couldn't hack it. I've no problem with that but people were making fun of him when he came back after having a party like he did.

Have a session but there's no need to over do it by inviting all your long lost relatives and people you wouldn't have seen for years anyway? People take the piss with these things that's my point.

But it doesn't really affect you? In fact you're getting free food and music. So you're benefitting by getting two parties and your friend is back in town! And you still complain! :pac:

But it doesn't really affect you? In fact you're getting free food and music. So you're benefitting by getting two parties and your friend is back in town! And you still complain! :pac:

Spot on, it was his business but don't you think it was a bit daft though?

Having a party like that and coming home after a couple of months? I'd be embarrassed.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Jesus get some real problems!! You're not even complaining about something that is currently happening!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sure why bother having friends at all.

****ing friends are more hassle than their worth, expecting you to spend time talkign to them and whatnot. Better off spending your life alone.

Advertisement