Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

breeno wrote: »
    Hey guys, bit of advice needed if possible. I'm with sky at the moment for TV(Inc sports) and broadband. They've jacked up my price from 80 a month to 130. Eventually offered half price on the TV but that still left it at 105 a month altogether. The internet is approx 12mb a sec but for the last month or two the connection has been really bad and struggling to stream video etc. I'm thinking about moving to upc as they would be half the price and super Internet speeds. My question is, am I mad to move to upc and horizon from sky. I never record so that aspect/bug shouldn't affect me! I had horizon briefly during the beta trial and it was okay,buggy but usable. I know sky is a different league for TV but would anybody else change if they were in the same situation?

Any advice is appreciated!

As far as I'm aware you can go to UPC without taking horizon. Just get a normal hd box.Maybe that's changed now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

breeno wrote: »
    Hey guys, bit of advice needed if possible. I'm with sky at the moment for TV(Inc sports) and broadband. They've jacked up my price from 80 a month to 130. Eventually offered half price on the TV but that still left it at 105 a month altogether. The internet is approx 12mb a sec but for the last month or two the connection has been really bad and struggling to stream video etc. I'm thinking about moving to upc as they would be half the price and super Internet speeds. My question is, am I mad to move to upc and horizon from sky. I never record so that aspect/bug shouldn't affect me! I had horizon briefly during the beta trial and it was okay,buggy but usable. I know sky is a different league for TV but would anybody else change if they were in the same situation?

Any advice is appreciated!

Take the broadband from UPC but do not under any circumstances take the Horizon TV...pure rubbish. Sky is at least 100 times better for the Tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

mfceiling wrote: »
    Take the broadband from UPC but do not under any circumstances take the Horizon TV...pure rubbish. Sky is at least 100 times better for the Tv.

no sky atlantic on upc tv

• Registered Users Posts: 7 itstomb

as other poster said maybe get UPC without Horizon .... Horizon is by far the worst piece of technology i have ever used. They know this and yet make no changes except of course for the pathetic 'upgrade' of a single word, 'WARNING' on the 'delete everything' button

Just got control of the tv tonight and straight away the box feels much snappier, flicking through the guide which has been my main issue with it now seems more responsive, the menus seem even faster.

I checked the update page and it did get an update today, version screenshot attached. Has anyone else noticed or have I simply become accustomed to it by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

cisk wrote: »
    Just got control of the tv tonight and straight away the box feels much snappier, flicking through the guide which has been my main issue with it now seems more responsive, the menus seem even faster.

I checked the update page and it did get an update today, version screenshot attached. Has anyone else noticed or have I simply become accustomed to it
    by now?

The last update was on the 20th of May, the first date mentioned on the last update line in the pic. I'm not sure what the second time/date is, think it might be the last time it checked for an update (if you look today it will have a more recent time).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just noticed Planet rock is gone........:mad::mad::mad:

onform wrote: »
    The last update was on the 20th of May, the first date mentioned on the last update line in the pic. I'm not sure what the second time/date is, think it might be the last time it checked for an update (if you look today it will have a more recent time).

Yeah I think I spoke to soon, it's sluggish again. I think that second listed update is just the EPG schedule update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

cisk wrote: »
    Yeah I think I spoke to soon, it's sluggish again. I think that second listed update is just the EPG schedule update.

The update on the right 26/07/2014 is just the latest EPG daily update
    It updates most days and mostly done at night time with sometimes done in the afternoon

The Update date on the left 20/05/2014 is the last firmware update date your horizon box was updated
    You have the latest firmware that was updated on 20th of May 2014

If at any stage do do a factory reset the last firmware update date will be none until there is a new firmware update

Conor Pope tries to help a consumer with a Horizon issue in today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/pricewatch-readers-queries-1.1878454

UPC oblivious to all the issues with Horizon that I have seen on here " “We are very sorry to hear of the inconvenience for this customer,” the company said. “We are disappointed the customer did not have a satisfactory experience. That is not the norm with UPC Horizon""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just got email asking to take part in new horizon trial. Features to be tested

A ‘Delete Series’ option
    A ‘Skip-by-Day’ option in the TV Guide
    Improvements to Favourites Management

said yes. Have to wait for them to contact me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

pippip wrote: »
    Just got email asking to take part in new horizon trial. Features to be tested

A ‘Delete Series’ option
    A ‘Skip-by-Day’ option in the TV Guide
    Improvements to Favourites Management

said yes. Have to wait for them to contact me now.

I got this mail also, I registered too.In fairness the 3 points above are things that would improve the box, if they actually fix the issues.

I also got the email and have registered for the trial

The Delete Series option
    Skip by day option in TV Guide

The above are probably the most wanted missing features that's been requested by most users

Will be interesting to see if they work well as we expect

When I get the update I will let you know how it goes

After this update fix and if all goes well

They then need to sort out the scrolling speed of the TV Guide and other improvements needed

The Wifi is hardware related and I doubt a firmware would improve it much but any improvement of course would be welcome if was possible with a firmware solution

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just got a mail asking me if I' intrested in a trial. Which includes a delete series option . Finally ..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

awful service imo, useless epg, shocking remote and wifi range is terrible

is there an equivilant of sky eye for upc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Ok- am once more considering changing my TV to UPC but the threads on here have me spooked.

Currently I have 120mps BB from UPC for €42 a month inc phone. I also have Sky variety pack with one multi room for €45 a month. I have a HD box but not a HD subscription which means I don’t get the non-terrestrial HD channels. I had Sky Sports until June when I got rid but despite all my best intentions with the new season approaching (and Ryder Cup) am tempted back but they want €32 more for this. So that would be €119 for all the above. Rang Sky and they won’t cut me a deal on the sports.

I can move my TV to UPC, Horizon Max, get 200mps BB, Sky Sports and HD for €86 a month for 6 months, €123 thereafter. This works out €174 cheaper over a year and if I sign up in DID I get a €100 voucher for that shop – seems like a no brainer.

But is the Horizon service still that awful that its not worth it? Am I better off slogging it out with Sky again?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

Coat22 wrote: »
    Ok- am once more considering changing my TV to UPC but the threads on here have me spooked.

Currently I have 120mps BB from UPC for €42 a month inc phone. I also have Sky variety pack with one multi room for €45 a month. I have a HD box but not a HD subscription which means I don’t get the non-terrestrial HD channels. I had Sky Sports until June when I got rid but despite all my best intentions with the new season approaching (and Ryder Cup) am tempted back but they want €32 more for this. So that would be €119 for all the above. Rang Sky and they won’t cut me a deal on the sports.

I can move my TV to UPC, Horizon Max, get 200mps BB, Sky Sports and HD for €86 a month for 6 months, €123 thereafter. This works out €174 cheaper over a year and if I sign up in DID I get a €100 voucher for that shop – seems like a no brainer.

But is the Horizon service still that awful that its not worth it? Am I better off slogging it out with Sky again?

Yeh its still awful... I mean they haven't changed anything as far as I can see so everything still applies.

They did send me an email the other day asking me to trial a new version of the software on the box... but it only had 3 changes in it. Important changes sure, but it mentioned nothing about fixing performance issues.

the box is annoying to use, slow, clunky, horrible laggy remote, the wifi on the box is AWFUL, it got so bad I had enough and at the weekend I bought a cheap TP-LINK router from Argos for €26 to stop the wifi drops.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but that said, I can 'put up' with the issues and with how **** it it, I don't spend a lot of time going through the guide or flicking channels - once I land on a channel the tv is fine, no issues with playback, just the interface. and the wifi.

I don't think the jump from 120 to 200 will be very noticeable to you, especially if on Wifi since you'll never hit that speed on wifi, and even if you could the horizon wifi is so bad you'll be lucky to stay connected.

if it were me i'd probably just make the switch since you save €€ and I can put up with how awful the performance of the box is. The wifi is the killer, but a router fixes that. Alternatively you can give out to UPC and see if you can get them to give you money back/new boxes/seperate cable modem/router

CyCaboose wrote: »
    Yeh its still awful... I mean they haven't changed anything as far as I can see so everything still applies.

They did send me an email the other day asking me to trial a new version of the software on the box... but it only had 3 changes in it. Important changes sure, but it mentioned nothing about fixing performance issues.

the box is annoying to use, slow, clunky, horrible laggy remote, the wifi on the box is AWFUL, it got so bad I had enough and at the weekend I bought a cheap TP-LINK router from Argos for €26 to stop the wifi drops.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but that said, I can 'put up' with the issues and with how **** it it, I don't spend a lot of time going through the guide or flicking channels - once I land on a channel the tv is fine, no issues with playback, just the interface. and the wifi.

I don't think the jump from 120 to 200 will be very noticeable to you, especially if on Wifi since you'll never hit that speed on wifi, and even if you could the horizon wifi is so bad you'll be lucky to stay connected.

if it were me i'd probably just make the switch since you save €€ and I can put up with how awful the performance of the box is. The wifi is the killer, but a router fixes that. Alternatively you can give out to UPC and see if you can get them to give you money back/new boxes/seperate cable modem/router

Well you save that money this year but it's 48 a year dearer every year following that for a poor product (horizon). Sky's tv service is much better if you are getting the sports channels because upc has no red button

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You will have no brain if you take Horizon. I have practically stopped watching tv now that we have Horizon. It is rubbish, absolutely pathetic, beyond crap. The wife has admitted that she made the mistake of ordering it - we weren't allowed a dish on our new house - something i'm looking into at the moment. The kids could work the Sky easily - Horizon has them stumped.

There is more button pressing than you could imagine, no series delete, no page up/down, no red button, no going to the start of your program guide when you press the guide button, you can only see what's on now and next on the on screen guide (you have to go back into the program guide to see what is on later) - the list is endless.

How in the name of god they released this box is beyond me. You should know there is something wrong when you see Craig Doyle's gormless face advertising it on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Pros:
    Smart functions like YouTube app and streaming content from your phone or PC to your TV.
    HD as standard.
    Picture quality in SD is better than Sky.

Cons:
    No Sky Atlantic, no red button.
    User interface not as slick as Sky.
    On Demand content not nearly as good as Sky.

They have just released a new update which seems on first use to have solved some of the problems (see other thread).

You need to figure out what aspects of the box are important to you and go from there. You mention DID; go in and get a demonstration from them before you decide.

Thanks All

Can't believe the strenght of feeling about UPC on here. The product must be truly shocking.

Had UPC/NTL before sky. Disaster trying to get them set up the first time (took 3 attempts from installers - they kept advising me to "find the electrician who built the apartment" because that wa sgoing to be easy - but once I had the service it worked) and had to threaten them with solicitors letters when I disconnected and they kept charging me and sending me legal demands! Thought all this customer service sh*t had been sorted in there now but obviously not.

Sky really do a poor job of defending their price on the basis of service. If they had the balls they wouldn't budge on the basis that their product actually works.

Mad Ted

I just got the trial Firmware update
    317543.png

Delete Series
    This allows you to delete a series of recordings or bookings. To do this you can select ‘Delete this Series’ from the menu or use the ‘DEL’ key when you are in ‘My Recordings’ or ‘My Planner’ in the Library section.
    Note: The ‘Delete All’ option has been moved to the Advanced Settings part of the ‘Settings’ menu

10433897_10204167288442998_5335499186902068556_n.jpg

Delete series works done a test on a series I no longer needed
    It had 3 episodes delete series and deleted the 3 episodes with no effect to any different programmes I had recorded

Skip By Day
    This appears in the top left hand corner of the TV Guide beside the date. With this you can use the ‘fast forward’ and ‘fast rewind’ keys on your remote control to skip forward or back through the days in the TV Guide.

Skip By Day
    Using the Horizon Remote Control
    Press Fast forward to advance to next day
    Press Fast rewind to go back a day
    2 Weeks guide in use

It works so far with quick test I done

Favourites Management
    You can now choose to only view your favourite channels when you open your TV Guide by selecting ‘Favourites Mode’ in the settings menu.
    You can add or remove channels as you wish and you can even choose the order of preference in which they appear. If you want to return to normal view, all you have to do is ‘Disable Favourite Mode’ in the same menu.

Horizon Setting Preferences
    Favourites Channels
    Set Favourites
    Select what favourite channels you want
    When finished click confirm

Renumber Favourites
    You can arrange what order the channels are listed
    When finished click confirm

Note

Enable or disable favourite mode

Watching any channel pressing ok
    You will see remove or from favourites or add to favourites
    Enable or disable favourite mode

Note
    If change channel by entering for example 101 using the remote it disables favourite mode
    You will have to enable favourites mode again if you want to use it

If you use the Horizon Go App, please make sure you have the latest version of the App downloaded.
    Note for me the Horizon Go does not work fully with the Trial Firmware

Horizon GO App not working fully with new firmware update
    Horizon GO Recording works ok

But there is a problem
    Horizon GO Remote control or push to TV does not work since I updated to trial firmware
    Horizon Go App probably needs an update for this to work fully

Other improvements I have noticed and horizon settings different
    TV Guide its lot faster changing channels
    Select channel you want to watch press ok click view instantly changes channel
    Its not as slow as it was before so that's an improvement

The remote CH UP/DOWN
    Channel changes instantly

Note
    The crazy fast scrolling is gone using the back button
    You don't have that mad option anymore

Horizon
    Advanced settings
    I see option for linking a Horizon multiroom box so we can expect something to be announced in regards to a horizon multiroom box at some stage

Note
    Some Network Settings also changed
    Wireless Channel
    If you need to change the wireless channel you need to use a web browser to access Advanced Network settings
    http://gwlogin.net/

username is admin
    password is admin (unless you have changed it to something different)

Can't believe the strenght of feeling about UPC on here. The product must be truly shocking.

It's not. It has its problems but people are just far more likely to come on the internet and complain than they are to express satisfaction. Some of the "complaints" are just users' inability to use the product, not a fault of the product itself.

If you're reasonably tech-savvy and can handle a new system, go for it. If you're happy with Sky, stick with it.

I'd repeat my advice to try it out, either in-store or in a friend's house, and then decide. I would never sign up to a new contract purely on the basis of what you've read on the Net.

Rang Sky and cancelled, they offered me 20% off for the next 6 months so went ahead and cancelled. They then magically transferred me to their "L2" team in Cork who within seconds gave me 50% off for the next 6 months!

Happy with that so will stick around for now and see if Horizon gets any better.

Good point though Former Legend - and while I am rather tech savvy my wife isn't so not sure its worth the hassle at the moment.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Some of the "complaints" are just users' inability to use the product, not a fault of the product itself.

If you're reasonably tech-savvy and can handle a new system, go for it. If you're happy with Sky, stick with it.

If you believe this tosh you will seriously seriously regret getting Horizon.

Rang Sky and cancelled, they offered me 20% off for the next 6 months so went ahead and cancelled. They then magically transferred me to their "L2" team in Cork who within seconds gave me 50% off for the next 6 months!

Can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Some of the "complaints" are just users' inability to use the product, not a fault of the product itself.

Sorry, this is not correct. There is a big difference between an inability to use a product and frustration on the users part with a poorly designed product. The Horizon system is a poorly designed user interface, pure and simple. Maybe they'll fix it in the future but that doesn't change the fact that is is poor on release.

Giruilla wrote: »
    If you believe this tosh you will seriously seriously regret getting Horizon.

I have had Horizon for well over a year and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I have had Horizon for well over a year and am very happy with it.

I've worked in STB/RF interface design and testing.. I can guarantee to you that my complaints are entirely due to "a fault of the product itself" and not my "inability to use the product".
    The UI of Horizon is extremely poorly designed and clearly a rush job. Thats the biggest problem. Then there's the insane amount of button presses to do simple tasks. Not to mention the weak and unreliable wi-fi. The DVR is littered with bugs. There is effectively NO channel browsing feature for when you want to continue watching current channel in the background.

I honestly believe anyone who is happy with their Horizon box just has lower standards of value.

Advertisement