Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon vs sky box

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all sorry to ask a question that has been asked before but I currently have sky and I am thinking of switching to UPC for the fibre broadband and tv but I am not sure about the horizon box I was wondering what are people opinions of this box

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

sky box is better

you can move the sky box anywhere in the UK and ireland

sky tv is better than upc tv, there is no sky atlantic on upc tv

but keep upc broadband as its the best around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The Horizon box is grand, it's not as easy or intuitive to navigate as Sky TV menu but it performs very well once you get used to it.

The Sky 'on demand' content is much better than what you get with the UPC box, so if you find yourself using that a lot, then reconsider, but for just watching TV, UPC is very good. HD channels come as standard with UPC whereas you'll pay extra with Sky, but then as pointed out above, Sky Atlantic isn't available on UPC. Horizon has a built-in YouTube app and other 'smart' features, which Sky doesn't.

So there's no single answer really, decide what you want or what you'll use the box for, then decide on your provider.

I'd imagine keeping Sky TV but getting UPC broadband is a very expensive way of doing things, compared to getting all your services from one supplier. UPC broadband is awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Please don't consider UPC for the television. I got it 3 weeks ago and it's rubbish. It's very user unfriendly compared to Sky. Just read the UPC thread on here to see the horror stories about it.

Just last night i sat down to watch a programme i recorded on monday night...it only recorded about three quarters of it - i've no idea why.

If you've used or had Sky before then you wouldn't have the horizon box near your house. I'm waiting to hear back from my management company about the "no satellite dishes" rule in our development. If it comes back that i'm really not allowed i don't know what option to take - i can't keep Horizon - it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just on one point above - although HD with UPC is 'free', the HD versions of Sky Sports & Movies channels aren't. Even if you're paying for the Sports & Movies, you need to pay extra again for the HD versions of those channels. And I believe not all Sky Sports HD channels are available on UPC either, even if you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

who_me wrote: »
    Just on one point above - although HD with UPC is 'free', the HD versions of Sky Sports & Movies channels aren't. Even if you're paying for the Sports & Movies, you need to pay extra again for the HD versions of those channels. And I believe not all Sky Sports HD channels are available on UPC either, even if you pay.

Additionally the only 'free' HD channels are limited to Sky 1/Living/Fox/Arts/Discovery and a few more on UPC.

UPC broadband is excellent however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement