Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental controls

Options
  • 15-07-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, wondering if someone has advice.
    I am looking for parental control on the wifi modem to control Time of Day access. This feature does not work on the Horizon box, thanks UPC.
    Can I just buy any wireless router off the shelf in PCworld or wherever and connect it to the Horizon box via the LAN ports. Then disable the wifi on the Horizon box and use the wifi and parental controls on the new modem. Have I got that right?
    If so can anyone recommend one in the 80 euroish range?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Which router do you have?

I seem to remember that you had to go into device rules and add the devices as well on the TC7200...

also worth considering is that there are software solutions that may be more suitable such as http://www.opendns.com/ as they provide much better dynamic filtering.... I have not used it so cant really comment on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

Hi, I have the Horizon box but the Parental controls aren't enabled so I'm wondering can I connect any wireless router to it via LAN cable and use the wifi and parental controls on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Are you saying they arent enabled as per the above post or arent working as per your OP?

to setup ToD access
    You just login to the webpage http://192.168.192.1

goto parental control
    Goto Time filters
    Setup a new time filter
    Save that
    Goto Device rules
    Under ToD Filters select your new filter you setup, and the device details you are applying the filter to.
    save this.
    Done

Wabbit Ears, thanks I tried that but it does nothing when you save those settings. The official word from UPC is that the features are in the menu but they are really disabled.

Thanks for the suggestion about opendns.com I looked into it but UPC seem ignore/redirect from the dns on the router because it doesn't work. It works if I put the opendns IP onto my machine though. I would need it on the router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement