Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and straight through exhaust?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Just like in the title.

I just bought the car (used) and it failed NCT when the old owner was trying to put it through. Reasons: Exhaust System Noise - Silencer - Missing. It is also leaking a little which is easy to fix.

Can a car with a straight through exhaust pass the NCT nowadays or did something change since I remember people saying that it can...

Is is a Seat Toledo 1.9TDI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Pre 92 didn't need a cat. Silencer is needed to keep noise below 100db (I think)

Edit: 99db is the limit (measured from 1 metre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

no it wont pass!! everyone that has a straight through exhaust always has the original at home to bolt on for nct so you may go to a breakers and pick one up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had a straight through decatted exhaust with a bung to keep the noise down. It was rated at 98db. Passed every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Diesels that are running well will pass an nct without a cat. If it has pigeon sh1te welding on the replacement pipe that's also leaking, I can imagine it would be mentioned on the fail sheet alright. A leaking exhaust will definitely fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

The diesel is great but the pipe is a bit damaged (welding, o-ring or something like that) and I am going to fix it this week. To me it is not bad but you can hear the hole in the exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

so your saying they failed it on the hole in the exhaust not the fact its a straight through ? I'd of thought it would fail on emissions and noise but probably not noise as its a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

You see, the old owner put it through and it failed on the noise and it said the silencer was missing but it is probably it is too loud because the pipe disconected at some point. I just want to know if someone has a straight through exhaust and ever had any problems doing the NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Failing the test because of a hole would be more from a safety point of view. At a standstill there is a high risk of exhaust fumes entering the car, which could potentially kill you or your passengers.
    If the car passes the db and smoke test, it should make no difference if it's missing a silencer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    Just like in the title.

I just bought the car (used) and it failed NCT when the old owner was trying to put it through. Reasons: Exhaust System Noise - Silencer - Missing. It is also leaking a little which is easy to fix.

Can a car with a straight through exhaust pass the NCT nowadays or did something change since I remember people saying that it can...

Is is a Seat Toledo 1.9TDI

Won't pass, needs backbox.

Buy backbox, install for test, get cert, replace box with straight pipe

Source: I drove a full straight piped diesel (from the turbo) for a year and a half :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Just buy a car pre 1991 and you are graand !
    No stupid Cat needed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

betterget that hole fixed or the pidgeons will escape :eek:

Advertisement