Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CMax suspension upgrades

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭

My CMax is getting a bit weak in the knees after 270k km and I was considering uprating the suspension while I'm at it.
    I have researched PU bushes, but ran into a problem:
    You will only find PU bush sets for the normal Focus and most resellers give an answer along the lines "No idea, but should be grand"
    Since this could lead me to putting the car up on stands, dismantling the suspension and then find it doesn't fit, I am reluctant to splurge out on the parts and just hoping for the best.
    Does anyone have any idea if the suspension parts are the same?
    What is a good manufacturer of PU bushes (I have looked at a few, but I have no idea which one of them are any cop) and is it worth it?
    I do a lot of motorway, but a good bit of potholed backroad as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I know of a few people who fitted PU bushes to cars from various manufacturers (Superflex, Polyflex and others). Some swore at them as they wore out very quickly and replaced them with heavy duty rubber. Others thought that they were excellent and would fit them again.

Word to the wise. I looked at them before and found that the material of crush tubes was critical. Some cheaper ones use ordinary steel which rusts and then wears the bush. Some more expensive ones use stainless steel which won't corrode. In the end I went for O/E spec rubber rather than heavy duty rubber as I didn't want it too harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ianobrien wrote: »
    I know of a few people who fitted PU bushes to cars from various manufacturers (Superflex, Polyflex and others). Some swore at them as they wore out very quickly and replaced them with heavy duty rubber. Others thought that they were excellent and would fit them again.

Word to the wise. I looked at them before and found that the material of crush tubes was critical. Some cheaper ones use ordinary steel which rusts and then wears the bush. Some more expensive ones use stainless steel which won't corrode. In the end I went for O/E spec rubber rather than heavy duty rubber as I didn't want it too harsh.

That's an interesting point, as PU bushes are marketed as firmer than rubber (what I want) and harder wearing (what I definitely want).
    If they now wear out quicker than rubber, it would definitely be a large drawback.
    Bit like a stainless steel exhausts system that rusts away quicker than a regular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

PU bushes best coupled with coilovers on a Cmax is overkill. You sacrifice serious running comfort with them for everyday driving and the potholes you saying. This level of modification is finer detail and having them is a necessary part of much tightened cars. Unsupported by other suspension mods its gains and usefulness almost reduces to zero.

OEM will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

A number of years ago I used to drive a Land Rover Discovery ( D1 and later D2) and there used to be alot of discussion on various forums as to the advs/disadvs of , for example , polybushes .
    Some of the contributors , with many years experience , always recommended that for general use the original bushes were best for everyday use - polys for competition , extreme off road etc .
    Many who fitted polybushes were not very impressed with the results ; the vehicle often became much 'harsher' on the road and it was even suggested that the polybushes contributed to the early failure of other suspension components due to their hardness/lack of 'give' etc .
    For this reason I always used OE bushings etc and couldn't fault them.
    This is only my experience on a 4X4 but from what I read I would never consider using them in a car and I would consider OE well up to the job .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Advertisement