Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flip open bumper camera

Options
  • 03-02-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking to get my hands on a small camera that would flip open once powered up to act as a front bumper cam. Something that functions similar to the vw reversing cam that is located within the vw badge on some models and flips open when reverse is selected but I would be looking for something just the size of the camera so small as possible.
    Anyone know where I would get such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where on the car would you be mounting it? On the front bumper?

Is it for parking?

A number plate that shifts upwards to reveal a camera might work?

Wouldn't water/rain be a problem though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ah its more a gimmick than anything else. I have a rear camera fitted and I love it as a gadget.
    If I could fit a front one invisibly, I would as I have the xcarlink box fitted to the car that can take more video feeds. Considering how the rear camera gets dirty, Im figuring a front one would need to be sealed from dirt while not in use thats why Im thinking the flip open one. The rear cam is auto when reverse is selected. The front one can be selected anytime with a press of the mode button on steering. Would be useful for pulling up to high kerbs although more a gadget than anything.
    The plate idea is good for protecting it and making it invisible but possibly abit too flash.

How about inside the headlight units?

Ive a feeling it would distort the picture.

Clear lenses?

• Advertisement

yes but I think they have a double cover - plastic outer

What car are we talking?

Audi A5

Does it have headlight washers?

Yes

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes

Cameras mounted those that pop out of the bumper would be class :)

Im pretty sure that the popping out action is caused by water pressure only so that wouldnt really be very easy. If an electric motor pushed them out, it would be easy enough.

Im pretty sure that the popping out action is caused by water pressure only so that wouldnt really be very easy. If an electric motor pushed them out, it would be easy enough.

Pretty sure its a solenoid that pushes it out.

I will double check tomorrow as I may be mixing it up with another car but I have a feeling there is no electrical connection to them other than power to the pump at the water tank.

I will double check tomorrow as I may be mixing it up with another car but I have a feeling there is no electrical connection to them other than power to the pump at the water tank.

Maybe, I know on toyotas and stuff they're electric. Quick google says Touareg and phaeton are as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have one of those exact cameras here but I figured it would need a cover that would flip open as it would get covered in dirt from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Interesting, must be some motor or solenoid you could repurpose. Ill have a think. Any pics of a similar spec car for ideas for mounting?

Not my car but it should show enough detail

rurzhy.jpg

I could fit the the camera as linked earlier by cartman as I have it here. Im thinking recessed into the bottom edge of the panel that holds the reg plate with the camera angled down and out. Dirt is the issue though.
    A flip open towing eye cover would be quite cool but fiddly to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

My immediate thoughts would combine something like the removable ash tray insert on some cars - ie a box with spring loaded lid, and a motor or solenoid to pop camera out of box. Hidden behind bumper until camera extends. Dunno would you have the throw on a solenoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Would you not hide a pinhole camera in the grill.

the police and also stealth radar detector systems do this.

Would you not hide a pinhole camera in the grill.

the police and also stealth radar detector systems do this.

Ya but it would be always dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Could you plum in an extra windscreen washer in front of it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

take the camera i linked you to and put it inside a clear perspex cylinder facing sideways, glue a gear with a freewheeling bearing to both ends of the perspex cylinder and attach a motor to a smaller gear and have it rotating one of the gears on the cylinder , build a small metal frame for the whole lot and on the bottom of the frame have a sponge pressed against the cylinder , then install it just behind the grille and wire a DPDT switch to the motor, camera normally faces forward and sees clearly, when it gets dirty you throw the switch on in either direction and give it a quick wipe up / down to clear the dirt , If you knew somebody handy with microcontrollers you could even get it to automatically wipe every time the car starts / by push button / in time with the windscreen / headlight washers.

take the camera i linked you to and put it inside a clear perspex cylinder facing sideways, glue a gear with a freewheeling bearing to both ends of the perspex cylinder and attach a motor to a smaller gear and have it rotating one of the gears on the cylinder , build a small metal frame for the whole lot and on the bottom of the frame have a sponge pressed against the cylinder , then install it just behind the grille and wire a DPDT switch to the motor, camera normally faces forward and sees clearly, when it gets dirty you throw the switch on in either direction and give it a quick wipe up / down to clear the dirt , If you knew somebody handy with microcontrollers you could even get it to automatically wipe every time the car starts / by push button / in time with the windscreen / headlight washers.
    Thanks
    You put alot of thought into that.
    I don't think id ever get around to building that though.
    Im thinking the previous suggestion of a washer jet faced at camera might not be a bad set up.

Definately think having two in the actual headlight clusters would work now, you already have headlamp washers and they're Perspex lenses. Just replace a DRL LED on each side with a camera.

That would involve breaking open the lamp unit. Wouldn't be interested in pulling out an led each side either.

Advertisement