Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unemployed after self-employment - status?

• 10-10-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I am self-employed but have had no work for several months. I haven't applied for any benefits yet as 1) I was hoping that more work would come in, and 2) I think it might be a waste of time as my partner's income is over the means test limit for Jobseeker's Allowance.
    If I am not entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance, so be it, but what I am trying to find out is, what is my exact status in the "system" now?
    I am effectively unemployed, but if I am not entitled to JA, I cannot register with FAS or JobBridge.
    I think I am stuck in some kind of limbo but it is very hard to figure it out from citizensinformation.ie. Even my local social welfare office doesn't seem to know.
    Any information / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 STAR2011

You don't exist! We are in the same boat, my husband was self employed and is entitled to nothing because I earn just above the max rate for him to qualify! Therefore, he gets no payment, therefore he is not entitled to partciapte in any FAS/Training scheme and can't even sign on for credits or future pension payments. The only record of him is that I claim his tax credits! I often wonder how many more people are "actually" unemployed but there is no record of them for this reason!
    Apply for JS anyway, we were just above the limit! Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You CAN register with FAS, but you may have to pay for any courses that are on offer. You can also register with your Local Employment Services offices, they can provide great support in finding employment or identifying training or education opportunities that are out there (although again there's little funding support there).

As far as pension entitlement is concerned, you can make voluntary contributions (about 250 Euro a year) to ensure that your pension entitlement is not adversely affected.

You CAN register with FAS, but you may have to pay for any courses that are on offer. You can also register with your Local Employment Services offices, they can provide great support in finding employment or identifying training or education opportunities that are out there (although again there's little funding support there).

As far as pension entitlement is concerned, you can make voluntary contributions (about 250 Euro a year) to ensure that your pension entitlement is not adversely affected.

Yes, you can register with FAS and pay to do a FAS course which nobody in their sane mind would do, what local Employment Service are you referring to?
    I am very curious as to the pension entitlement which won't be adversely effected??? Self - employed people are not entitled to a social welfare pension, it will be means tested, so if your partner is working you will get zero! That is what we have been told.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

To become a voluntary contributor after self-employment, you must:

have worked and paid PRSI for at least 260 weeks,
    and
    apply within 12 months after the end of the tax year during which you last paid PRSI.
    For more details about the Voluntary Contribution Scheme see voluntary contributions or information booklet or contact:

Voluntary Contributions Section
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Cork Road
    Waterford.

Tel: Waterford (051) 356000 Dublin (01) 704 3000

Thanks for the link but it really just confirms what we already knew! The Voluntary contributions scheme is very restrictive.
    In my case my husband has never been employed in Ireland. He worked abroad for years and has been self employed in Ireland for the last 20 years and is entitled to absolutely no assistance from the state!
    I wonder are there any figures compiled for the amount of people in this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The government's attitude to the self-employed and entrepreneurs is appalling. People who have actually created employment for other people are discriminated against when it comes to welfare if their business goes under. While the people they employed get benefit, the entrepreneur gets nothing. There is no motivation for anyone to try to start out on their own. Why would you take the risk if it negates your entitlement to benefit?

No wonder we're in this mess. The powers that be should be putting the money from the jobbridge scheme into people who want to start-up their own business rather than giving it to rich companies like Tesco to 'employ' people for no wages.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This is not the forum to discuss the policies of the government.sorry.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement