Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy-Romania

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

in fairness you gotta say the Italians deserve this game. they have tried to win it for a change. i think they will beat France if they play like this and go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

was a superb save alright. do you think he meant to kick it away too when he saved with the hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

was a superb save alright. do you think he meant to kick it away too when he saved with the hand?
    No. Was a good height/position for a keeper. Especially one as good as Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was pretty much exactly where a keeper wants in if he's going to make the save. Nice height and far too central. If anythign Buffon nearly dove past it.

Good save but Mutu helped as much as he could.

Italy WILL score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Think the kick away bit of the save was largely instinctive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

coud do with a de rossi goal now for my ff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

f*ck sake Toni you donkey. if he stayed on his feet that would surely have been a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mutu didnt look confident before the peno

He turned his back on it. When someone turns their back on it more often than not they will miss. From my experience of watching penos anyway.

What is with players in this tournament wasting free kicks by shooting from 35 yards plus? The keeper would want to be in a wheelchair to have ay hope of scoring. Even then the thing usually flies 2 yard over anyway.

• Advertisement

and we're done. the Italians can only go home feeling cheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

All over

1-1

Good match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Great game. Italy were the better team and really arnt getting the rub of the green. It should be a cracker of a game between them and France.

crap, they always have a reason to moan. They were lucky not to be a goal or 2 down in the first half and Romania missed a peno.
    They didnt score enough, thats their own fault.
    They had the better game but Romania had more than their fair share of chances to take 3 points.

LOL @ O'Herlihy "Italy finaly get a point". You'd swear it was 10 games into a league season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

they are not out of it yet are they? if they beat France and holland beat Romania they will qualify no? the goal diffrrence is against them though i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

fcuking officials are costing me a small fortune

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stekelly wrote: »
    What is with players in this tournament wasting free kicks by shooting from 35 yards plus? The keeper would want to be in a wheelchair to have ay hope of scoring. Even then the thing usually flies 2 yard over anyway.

Actually Every goal keeper has been saying that because the ball is so light and has so little wind resitance they are affraid of long shots because the ball moves so much in the last 5 yards it's almost impossible to judge the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Bollox, that's my accumulator down the swaney before it could even get going.

Good match, and considering Italy are the world champs, the Romanians really put on a good show. However, Italy didn't get a single decision their way, and had the first goal been given, I think the result would have been alot different. Also, I thought taking Del Piero off was madness. If Italy were to get a goal, it would have been through his play.

The officials at this tournament have been shocking.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Actually Every goal keeper has been saying that because the ball is so light and has so little wind resitance they are affraid of long shots because the ball moves so much in the last 5 yards it's almost impossible to judge the flight.

But they arent even getting them in the vague area of the goal. I mean theres a shooting distance that is very scorable from. Then theres the 2 or 3 I've seen this week that I'd fancy my chances better shooting from my couch.

Stekelly wrote: »
    They didnt score enough, thats their own fault.

i take it you weren't watching the match then? they did score, and it was unfairly ruled against. on any other day they would have done enough to win it. you can say what you want about missed chances or whatever for either side, but fact remains Italy scored two good goals that match.

anyway, that should be Donadoni gone.

Enjoyed the game even though the penalty didn't go in. Need Holland to beat France and field a weak team for the last game.

• Advertisement

i take it you weren't watching the match then? they did score, and it was unfairly ruled against. on any other day they would have done enough to win it. you can say what you want about missed chances or whatever for either side, but fact remains Italy scored two good goals that match.

anyway, that should be Donadoni gone.

They MIGHT have won if the goal was given. At the end of the day they pretty much struggled to a draw with Romania. They should not be struggling. They are supposed to be the best team in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SantryRed wrote: »
    Have a feeling that Romania will get out of this group. Draw with Italy tonight and if Holland win. It puts Holland through as group winners and then leaves Romania on two points and Italy and France on 1 point. They'll then be playing a second string dutch side in the last game. IT could happen;)

Come on Romania!

I'm telling yous. It's going to happen.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Nice match,sorry for Mutu coz he blew up chance to take Romania in 1/4 final,anyway they still have good chances coz Holland dont need points from last game,its gonna be fight to death between Italy and France in last round but i hope Romania will use chance and go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I also felt sorry for Mutu but I also thought it was about time Italy got some luck in the game.
    I can see them beating France in the last game but will it be enough?
    mike65 wrote:
    Anyone esle think Mutu looks like a Thunderbirds character?
    Now that you mention it, he does a bit :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

With all the talk about a potential penalty shootout between Czech-Turkey for a QF place it makes me wonder what is going to be the situation in the France-Italy group? If France-Italy draw then they will both finish on exactly the same points/goals.

Now, if Romania lose big to Netherlands then will there be a peno shootout between Fra/Italy for 2nd/3rd place? Will they go as far as make the French/Italians stand around waiting for a score report from the other game to come in and then march them off to the penalty spot? :confused:

Seems the likely option:confused:

Can't see Romania losing big though. They won't be caught out on the counter attack like the other two teams have.

They'd have to wait. Romania to slip through. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pigman II wrote: »
    Now, if Romania lose big to Netherlands then will there be a peno shootout between Fra/Italy for 2nd/3rd place? Will they go as far as make the French/Italians stand around waiting for a score report from the other game to come in and then march them off to the penalty spot? :confused:

Would France not go through on more goals scored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

You could have a situation, where if Holland win 3-0 and Italy and France draw 0-0, all 3 teams will be the exact same in terms of points, goal diff, etc etc (if I worked it out correctly). Wonder what would happen then - 3 way penalty shoot-out? Back to the coin toss?

But I can see Holland losing to Romania. Nothing to play for, won't want to risk suspensions, romania will have the hunger and by losing they knock out 2 potential rivals for the title in Italy and France.

3 way penalty shoot-out?

Please tell me your taking the piss:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You could have a situation, where if Holland win 3-0 and Italy and France draw 0-0, all 3 teams will be the exact same in terms of points, goal diff, etc etc (if I worked it out correctly). Wonder what would happen then - 3 way penalty shoot-out? Back to the coin toss?

But I can see Holland losing to Romania. Nothing to play for, won't want to risk suspensions, romania will have the hunger and by losing they knock out 2 potential rivals for the title in Italy and France.

Thought about this one also. If Romania/France/Italy all finished on the same points/goals then it would probably go down to the sum of the results between the 3 teams. This would mean France would automatically be eliminated on goals scored and it'd be left to decide between Romania/Italy as to who goes through.

Which raises the question what happens when two teams finish exactly level who AREN'T just conveniently playing each other on that day?

Which raises the question what happens when two teams finish exactly level who AREN'T just conveniently playing each other on that day?

The way it used to be before the new rules. Coeffiecients I think. Which would put the Italians through. Don't think we'll be getting this problem though in all fairness.

Thought about this one also. If Romania/France/Italy all finished on the same points/goals then it would probably go down to the sum of the results between the 3 teams. This would mean France would automatically be eliminated on goals scored and it'd be left to decide between Romania/Italy as to who goes through.

I think it's still possible for all 3 to end on the exact same points and head to heads being the same. Perhaps there would be a peno shoot-out between Italy and France, the winner of which gets a coin toss with romania to see who gets second? Certainly it makes the bringing in the shoot-out to the group stage seem a bit strange as it doesn't account for a possible 3 way tie.

This would mean France would automatically be eliminated on goals scored and it'd be left to decide between Romania/Italy as to who goes through.

Woops, see what you mean now. Not in this group then but the situation could arise for a 3 way tie.

What's the coefficients thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They feel pretty much ripped off in both games. The IFGC president has requested an explanation from Uefa for Toni's disallowed goal, given they were so quick to explain the Van Nistelrooy one.

Woops, see what you mean now. Not in this group then but the situation could arise for a 3 way tie.

What's the coefficients thing?

It's how they've performed in previous tournaments. I've always been against it though. IMO, it should be the team with the worst coefficients that gets out of the group as the bigger teams should be expected to go through.

Anyways, I say just throw the three names in a hat and pick a winner:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

That's what I thought. Holland won't risk their first team, will they? It would be ridiculous to pick up injuries in a completely meaningless match, and it's a chance to give the second string run-out in case they're needed. If Romania play like they did yesterday they could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The Italians are going to kick up a major fuss if Romania beat Holland, regardless of what team Van Basten plays. I can't remember the exact details but wasn't there a match in euro 2004 between Sweden and Denmark in Italy's group that finished 2-2, which meant both teams qualified and Italy were knocked out? I remember they made a huge deal over it

gogglebok wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Holland won't risk their first team, will they? It would be ridiculous to pick up injuries in a completely meaningless match, and it's a chance to give the second string run-out in case they're needed. If Romania play like they did yesterday they could do it.

I'm not so sure about that.

He might rest older players like RVN,but this just means that RVP will start. Robben will probably start to get more playing time into him, and is it not better to leave the likes of Schneider continue to build their momentum and confidence.

I mean, you want your best players going into the knock outs on a high, and full of belief. Knocking in a few against the Romanians will help to achieve this.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They feel pretty much ripped off in both games. The IFGC president has requested an explanation from Uefa for Toni's disallowed goal, given they were so quick to explain the Van Nistelrooy one.

Whats he looking for an explanation on? The linesman got it wrong. Fairly clear cut imo.**** happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

UEFA: Toni goal WAS offside
    Saturday 14 June, 2008

According to reports, UEFA will defend the decision to disallow Luca Toni’s goal against Romania.

FIGC President Giancarlo Abete asked for an apology from the officials who had been so quick to back Ruud Van Nistelrooy’s controversial strike against Italy.

Instead, it is suggested from sources within UEFA that referee Tom Henning Ovrebo was right to rule out Toni’s header.

Although the Bayern Munich striker was almost two yards onside, they insist the flag was raised for Alessandro Del Piero’s active position.

This too is a controversial assertion, as replays seem to show Del Piero was level with Paul Constantin Codrea.

It also clashes with AIA (Italian Referees Association) President Cesare Gussoni, who made it clear he was not happy with the decision.

“Toni’s goal was valid and the referee was not up to the standard of the match.”

Unlike the Van Nistelrooy incident and the contested penalty awarded to Austria against Poland, UEFA have not yet come out with an official verdict.

lol at it being del piero who was offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It'd be great to see the Dutch get rid of the Itlians and the French! :D Hope Romania do it ahead of the two old timers.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It'd be great to see the Clogs get rid of the Wogs and the Frogs! :D Hope Romania do it ahead of the two old timers.

Xavi, I kinda like you, but this clogs wogs frogs thing is a bit manky tbh.

Trippie wrote: »
    lol at it being del piero who was offside

Have you seen it? As a defense from Uefa it fails, because DP was level with the second last player!

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Xavi, I kinda like you, but this clogs wogs frogs thing is a bit manky tbh.

How so? :confused: Maybe it's the Australian in me but they're commonly used terms, same as Paddy or POM. No offence meant.

Maybe it's the Australian in me .

Ugh. I can't imagine having anything worse in me. Maybe a tapeworm ;)

How so? :confused: Maybe it's the Australian in me but they're commonly used terms, same as Paddy or POM. No offence meant.

ust my two cents: My cousin is Aussie, and from what I know speaking to him, it's a racial slur, similar to the N word.

Give racism the red card.

Fine, edited to be more PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement