Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airport - taxi?

Options
  • 07-07-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I am going finally on holidays for 15 days.
    I was wondering if it's better to leave my car in the long term car park or go by bus when I leave (will be afternoon so I can go to city centre and take a bus) and a taxi when I come back (will be 11pm).

How much would be the taxi from the airport to ongar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Check out these guys regular shuttle buses just like Long Term car park

http://www.quickpark.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

i always take a car on long term blue or red, one times in midle of night we was waiting one hour for a taxi, we has lot of bags and we need seven seater taxi. Often they have some deal, one week free or similar.

http://www.dublinairport.com/home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

This post has been deleted.
    It won't be 37quid, or near it. Ring mulhuddart taxis on 8218080. They were running a fixed fare (€20) to the airport, or €25 if you needed a people carrier for the family and kitchen sink. I know they moved to a new premised outside of d15 but AFAIK they were still running the deal. Eitherway, €37 is off the mark.

LT carpark is a pain in the hole, and not a viable option for 15 days IMO. Nothing worse than getting off a plane at night, loaded with kids and bags, to walk to a bus, to get to LT red at best! Taxi, at a good price, FTW !

Oh, and enjoy ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The key to taxis is pre-book your return one, there's a pre-booked taxi area where you can pick it up. Pre-book Mulhuddart or 8202020 or Fixicab. We got caught on a recent trip to London, €20 to the airport, pre-booked, €30 from the rank home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ask a friend or neighbour to drop you at the airport and collect you?

You can return the favour when they need it.....

That's what we do.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The key to taxis is pre-book your return one, there's a pre-booked taxi area where you can pick it up. Pre-book Mulhuddart or 8202020 or Fixicab. We got caught on a recent trip to London, €20 to the airport, pre-booked, €30 from the rank home.
    Forgot to mention above. Spot on. That's what I do also ( and will be doing again on 17th August bound for a fortnight in Majorca :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Polar101

dodzy wrote: »
    Eitherway, €37 is off the mark.

It's not far off, last time I paid about €32 (it was at around midnight so very little traffic).

So fixed fare is a good idea.

Used Mulhuddart taxis to the airport this morning and got charged meter price, just over 26 euro. Don't think I'll be rushing back to them while alternatives like 8202020 still exist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I rang 8202020 before and they didnt know where Mountview was so i hung up. €26 from the airport is the right price.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I rang 8202020 before and they didnt know where Mountview was so i hung up. €26 from the airport is the right price.

From the airport it would be right, given the airport premium. To the airport it was pricey and more than I needed to spend.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Used Mulhuddart taxis to the airport this morning and got charged meter price, just over 26 euro. Don't think I'll be rushing back to them while alternatives like 8202020 still exist

€26 is ok.

Called a cab (van) for last sat 3pm. Just over 30quid on the meter when we arrived. €26 with discount. 4 people, 4 suitcases & hand luggage. can't really argue with that price. Just be aware, if you need a van when you return, for family and luggage, I believe that they are not calling up individual vans anymore so be prepared for a wait, or ad I seen a few do last week, getting 2 cabs:eek:

As a result, obviously a lot of vans won't pickup there now due to this sh1te setup, adding to the problem.

Got a card in the door today from "Dublin 15 taxi's" (Yes that dodgy apostrophe does feature). They are offering fixed fares to the airport and ferry ports. No mention of what the fare is. A google search for the number (8224402) reveals that it's Clonsilla Cabs behind it. Might help some people,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Recently got a late night taxi from the Airport rank home to Dublin 15.

Only when I got home and thought about the route taken, did I realise just how much how your man had taken us for a ride and gone the scenic route. Cost E29.50. I gave him a .50 cent tip for his trouble.

What your man did was to drive straight on from the Airport onto the M1 where he turned right. He then drove onto the start of the M50 and continued on, adding miles to our journey.

What I should have done, was to tell him to take the old Swords Road towards Santry (turn right at the first big roundabout rather than going straight on, drive past ALSA on your left).

Continue for about 2 Kms and turn right onto the Old Airport Road. Drive along here beside the runway (on your RHS) until you come to the first junction/traffic lights and turn left, and the B'mun M50 roundabout is about 300 meters in front of you.

Take the third exit and you are on the M50 Southbound.

This obviously doesn't just work for D15, anyone heading South bound on the M50 should use it.

That would be the default route, in my experience. Unless you direct them otherwise they will head straight for the motorway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

By going M1 would he not avoid traffic lights thus saving time in the long run? I've no idea if taxis are charged on distance only or a combination of distance & time. (Feels like they just make up charges randomly, can never figure them out!)
    There's only about 2k difference between the 2 routes anyway, so I dont think it would lead to any huge difference in price.
    I know you get charged a premium for getting a taxi at the airport anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Murt10 wrote: »
    What I should have done, was to tell him to take the old Swords Road towards Santry (turn right at the first big roundabout rather than going straight on, drive past ALSA on your left).

Continue for about 2 Kms and turn right onto the Old Airport Road. Drive along here beside the runway (on your RHS) until you come to the first junction/traffic lights and turn left, and the B'mun M50 roundabout is about 300 meters in front of you.

Take the third exit and you are on the M50 Southbound.

This obviously doesn't just work for D15, anyone heading South bound on the M50 should use it.

Or you could turn right at the lights near Harristown Bus Depot instead of turning left to Ballymun and head up towards Kilshane Cross and on up the back way to come out the back way into Mulhuddart / Tyrellstown.

Feck that. When you get out of the airport, you just want home and that's the quickest route, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

If you're travelling to the aiport make sure you tell them which day you need the cab for.

I rang Blanchardstown Cabs/Taxis and ordered a taxi for 1pm. I did this several hours before.
    At 1.45, Didn't turn up.
    I called back several times but no answer at all. At this time we were waiting outside with our bags.

Eventually called another cab company in Clonee who turned up in 10mins.
    Luckily we had allowed enough time.

The next day, in Madrid, i get a call saying that my taxi is waiting outside and where am i?

Advertisement