Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's wrong with my car?:(

Options
  • 13-08-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

was driving my car today and was just taking a turn and i heard a bang and it felt like it was at my wheel,felt like someone threw something at it or maybe tyre blew. i pulled in and noticed it wasn't the wheels. started car again and the gears were all over the place, didn't want to move as it wouldnt go into to gear as smoothly as it should! rang a friend that knows a lot about cars and he said brake fluid was in it and it wasn't engine and everything looked to be in proper order and he left confused!! I was able to drive my car home but i had to make it an effort to get into gears and it felt like the car was dragging itself home as if it was overweight! A note to you's who are good with cars is i got a new clutch in it around 2 months ago, new bushins last week along with a new water pump and it sailed past the NCT last week! my car is an 02 golf that i own near 10 years, i drive it very little in comparison to other cars its age,it only has 95,000 miles on clock!
    I've spent a good bit of cash lately on it to make it as good as it can be and as I said its passed nct last week but not sure what now! :( please help!
    I was thinking maybe gearbox is on its way to blowing?? but i know nothing about cars!
    thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Take it back to the mechanic who did the clutch and explain what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Is it a TDI? Sounds like a DMF might have let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

its a petrol! just took it for a spin there and when i parked it there,i put foot down on clutch fully and there is a squeak, don't know if that's normal or not! would clutch affect the gears though?? switching gears feels weird,its like as if i have to find the gear myself instead of just slotting into them! when i drove it that time,weird sounds comes from under the front left hand side of the car.

thanks for replies lads!

read up on the internet last night about the problems and some lead me to the bushings!! i got bushings done last week and the bang that came yesterday sounded like it was at the wheel! would that be it? and would it play a part in the gear problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Suspension bushings will not cause the problems you're describing.

If you're having difficulty in changing gear, it's a problem with the clutch or gearbox. Either something went wrong with the replacement clutch or you have a new problem with the clutch or gearbox. You need to bring it to a mechanic.

• Advertisement

left it in with mechanic! waiting to hear back, will post what the problem is here later.

I was told the gearbox mount is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was told the gearbox mount is gone!
    In a way, that's almost good news. Shouldn't cost a fortune to get fixed.

pablo128 wrote:
    In a way, that's almost good news. Shouldn't cost a fortune to get fixed.

all done, he said he got one from a scrap yard, 50 euro completed! happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The type of car might help ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The type of car might help ?

And if you look up right away, you'll see the conversation passing straight over your head.

Advertisement