Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Servicing

• 12-08-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to give me a bit of advice here. Looking to service my car myself both just to know how to do it and save a bit of cash instead of bringing it to a mechanic.

Whats tools would i need? I know i need a new air filter, spark plugs, oil filter and oil anything else?

Any help is appreciated looking to see if i can do little small things for myself:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What car, year and engine is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Bora 2001 1.4 petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

First thing you're going to need is a decent socket-set, a set of combination spanners and, ideally, a light-range torque wrench. A water-pump pliers should handle those VW oil filters at a pinch, but ideally you'll want the cap-wrench type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jimgoose wrote: »
    First thing you're going to need is a decent socket-set, a set of combination spanners and, ideally, a light-range torque wrench. A water-pump pliers should handle those VW oil filters at a pinch, but ideally you'll want the cap-wrench type.

Proper jack and axle stands or ramp and axle stands would be handy.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Proper jack and axle stands or ramp and axle stands would be handy.

You can get away with that if you have an oil vacuum pump, but a good one costs a few shillin's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

In terms of tools, you will need a good socket set.
    I'd suggest buying a good all round comprehensive set of good quality. If you are planning on looking after your car long term then the tools will pay for themselves..

These sets from halfords are of good quality and will be enough for most jobs you will be doing though you could probably start out with a smaller set just for servicing.
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets

I have the big set above and have found it very good. I'm sure someone will critique those sets but the genereal gist of my advice is invest in a good comprehensive set if you are serious about doing the work long term.

You might want to invest in a set of ramps to get under the car to drain the oil though you may not need to if you have kerb handy that might allow you access to the sump with some creative parking.

If money is tight then the bare minimum you could probably get away with will depend on the car (make/model). You will need some small sockets probably or torx screw driver to remove an engine cover and possibly coil packs depending on the make/model.

You will also need a long spark plug socket to actually remove the plugs.
    If you haven't done it before then when you are putting the new plugs back in you should tighten them by hand first, you really don't want to cross the threads!

Then it will also depend on your make/model as to what kind of sump plug there is and you will need an appropriate socket etc to open it.

Also the make/model will determine what kind of oil filter you need and in turn how you remove the original one...

Cheers,

~LTD

thanks for the replies, am i right in all the car parts ive mentioned didnt leave anything out?

...These sets from halfords are of good quality and will be enough for most jobs you will be doing though you could probably start out with a smaller set just for servicing.
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets

I have the big set above and have found it very good...

Yeah, I have the 150-piece. It is excellent. :cool:

Havent got that sortve money to be forking out for tools can prob borrow them off a friend sure someone has the bits i need.

Looked at a few videos and it seems easy enough and the only messy part seems like the oil change. Other then that seems very screw this out, take it out put new one in and tighten again

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Havent got that sortve money to be forking out for tools can prob borrow them off a friend sure someone has the bits i need.

Looked at a few videos and it seems easy enough and the only messy part seems like the oil change. Other then that seems very screw this out, take it out put new one in and tighten again

Be very careful with the oil filter, if you overtighten it you'll roger the seal and she'll piss oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Be very careful with the oil filter, if you overtighten it you'll roger the seal and she'll piss oil.

Hand tight means just that.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Hand tight means just that.

Correct-and-right.

Sound lads give it a shot tomorrow so i reckon if the weather dosent take a turn for the worse i know ill manage all the other bits only bit im worried about is the oil change/filter change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

There should be plenty of guides on youtube at this stage.

Another tip is always change the spark plugs when the engine is hot, same applies for draining the oil.

yeah watched a micks garage vid on servicing a mk5 golf so hopefully shouldnt be to different to the bora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the sticky. Generally servicing is similar for all cars, you just need to find out if there is anything different about your particular model.
    Well done on giving it a go DIY :)

Havent a clue how i didnt see that :eek::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Biko bet me to it, that thread started by Voloboy started me off. Have serviced my two cars now with no issues and knew little before. This forum has great folks and really helpful people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get away with that if you have an oil vacuum pump, but a good one costs a few shillin's.

There's more to servicing a car than changing the oil. One way or another some wheels are gonna have to come off to check the pads or shoes, at least.

ahh i know how to change a tyre now :pac::pac: As for brakes and shoes i can learn as i go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

See here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89534930&postcount=53

Here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89535774&postcount=56

And here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89536536&postcount=57

For a general service on any car, same thing applies to most cars, bar one or two little bits on mine, but the general jist is there! :)

Also fair play for having a go! :D

Ps. Invest in a haynes manual, it'l be the best 25 euro you'l ever spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

The Haynes manual has been excellent for my Mark 4 Golf (Bora).

bbk wrote: »
    The Haynes manual has been excellent for my Mark 4 Golf (Bora).

They're bloody invaluable for some cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    ahh i know how to change a tyre now :pac::pac: As for brakes and shoes i can learn as i go

As sure its only the brakes. Nothing important like:O

Ffs, a decent local fella or someone after a nixxer would do your service for 50 quid(u supply parts) an engine or even a damged coil pack will cost more

what oil you using btw?

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's more to servicing a car than changing the oil. One way or another some wheels are gonna have to come off to check the pads or shoes, at least.

To be sure. And you can drop-and-change all the fluids every two years as well, as you're at it. Halfords sell a decent range of lifting gear - trolley-jacks and wheel ramps - at good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

tossy wrote: »
    There should be plenty of guides on youtube at this stage.

Another tip is always change the spark plugs when the engine is hot, same applies for draining the oil.

Tossy, never heard about changing plugs when the engine is hot. Whats the logic behind that?

nc19 wrote: »
    what oil you using btw?

Told to use 5w40 full synthetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

They've this in aldi this week. It might get you by for an oil change, until you've the money for a full set. But yeah a decent set is invaluable.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-14th-august/products-detail-page/ps/p/ratchet-handle-with-sockets-1/

nd wrote: »
    They've this in aldi this week. It might get you by for an oil change, until you've the money for a full set. But yeah a decent set is invaluable.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-14th-august/products-detail-page/ps/p/ratchet-handle-with-sockets-1/

Never a better word said, my first set cost me a tenner and it done me great, got my halfords one now for 150 and even though it's nothing fancy, it's paid for itself a million times over already

• Advertisement
Advertisement