Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Advice for a young couple heading for Austraila

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iBeast

If you cant lift her dont shift her, If you cant hide her dont ride her. Nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

CiaranC wrote: »
    Theyll need more than 4k each then. Theres a whole industry set up here to cater for young travellers arriving and getting on their feet, if they are going to ignore that for whatever reason they are going to stuggle as a couple of kids with no qualifications. I struggled in Melbourne as a 30 year old with 10 years professional experience and far more cash than that. Rent alone in our last place was 500 dollars a week.

C'mon, where are you living? the top of the eureka tower?

I came here with $5000, got a bus to the countryside, got a menial job within two days making fairly decent money and living comfortably. My rent is $90 a week and im living much more comfortably working in my menial job in oz than i was working in my "skilled" degree needed job in Ireland.

Whats with all the scare mongering on here? If your proactive and willing to work hard here, you'll do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I came here with $5000, got a bus to the countryside, got a menial job within two days making fairly decent money and living comfortably. My rent is $90 a week and im living much more comfortably working in my menial job in oz than i was working in my "skilled" degree needed job in Ireland.

Whats with all the scare mongering on here? If your proactive and willing to work hard here, you'll do alright.

It's not scaremongering, it's trying to give a realistic picture of the reality here, not just enforcement of the perception at home that you can land here with no skills and make $150k p/a working in the mines. It's better that people come here expecting it to be tough (which it is for many people) and prepare for that, rather than come here expecting everything to be handed to them and then having to leave because they couldn't find work before their savings ran out. I think most regular posters on here have seen mates have to leave and they just want people to avoid making the same mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If I wanted to work a menial job in the countryside I could have moved to Leitrim and got a job in McDonalds. I travel to enhance my quality of life not to work ****ty jobs in the arse-end of nowhere where noone wants to live. Funnily enough, most people feel the same - hence the living in backpackers while they hunt work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I know that..

All I want to do is spend two years in Oz, make money and get some good hospitality experience. Me and the girlfriend have been here 3 months, have saved 12K and landed jobs as supervisors. I don't see my time in Oz as a holiday as a result
    Mark while you may not see your time in Oz as a holiday the state classes your stay as just that.

In the end it makes no difference what you call it.

However I am impressed with your results keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nope. One of the girls in work her family owns a farm. Her folks are hippies and are very understanding of our situation :)

I.E. they are going to sign you off on your regional work...

If I wanted to work a menial job in the countryside I could have moved to Leitrim and got a job in McDonalds. I travel to enhance my quality of life not to work ****ty jobs in the arse-end of nowhere where noone wants to live. Funnily enough, most people feel the same - hence the living in backpackers while they hunt work etc.

Well lar de dar,

Lot's and lots of backpackers will work in a rural area to save funds to enable them to travel/ settle somewhere else. I will be heading back to Melbourne next month, considerably richer than when I arrived in Oz, i'll also have the 2nd WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Have a look at realestate.com.au or domain.com.au etc. The prices displayed to rent an apartment are per week.
    Maybe you are just used to living in a shack in Ireland but most people want somewhere clean, secure and close to shops, restaurants, pubs, public transport.
    My rent here is not quite $1900 a month for a shoe box sized one bed apartment. When you move in they want minimum 1 months rent up front and a bond (deposit) of usually 4-6 weeks. There goes your 4k.
    Furniture, appliances, everything else - you must supply. Furnished apartments/houses are very rare here.
    I would love to see photos of your $90 a week abode..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Nope. One of the girls in work her family owns a farm. Her folks are hippies and are very understanding of our situation :)

Well if you don't do the 3 months work and try to scam the system I hope you get caught. :D

Have a look at realestate.com.au or domain.com.au etc. The prices displayed to rent an apartment are per week.
    Maybe you are just used to living in a shack in Ireland but most people want somewhere clean, secure and close to shops, restaurants, pubs, public transport.
    My rent here is not quite $1900 a month for a shoe box sized one bed apartment. When you move in they want minimum 1 months rent up front and a bond (deposit) of usually 4-6 weeks. There goes your 4k.
    Furniture, appliances, everything else - you must supply. Furnished apartments/houses are very rare here.

Yeah, well its not The Ritz, by any means, but it's a good starting point, It's a two bed apartment for $180 a week. We picked up lots of cheap furniture etc. from the likes of vinnies, salvos, garage sales

• Advertisement

Where abouts in Melbourne are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

When you move in they want minimum 1 months rent up front and a bond (deposit) of usually 4-6 weeks. There goes your 4k.
    Furniture, appliances, everything else - you must supply. Furnished apartments/houses are very rare here..

you'd be surprised. Me and the gf found a fully furnished apartment in st kilda After two days of looking.(sharing with another couple). There was no bond and they only asked for 1 weeks rent up front. If we wanna leave we only have to give 1 weeks notice and we get the deposit back

Although this could leave us exposed if a land lord was dodgie, the company we pay the rent to are pretty good. Always repair out replace anything that is faulty or missing and if we need anything they are always pretty quick to help out

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Yeah, well its not The Ritz, by any means, but it's a good starting point, It's a two bed apartment for $180 a week. We picked up lots of cheap furniture etc. from the likes of vinnies, salvos, garage sales

Where did you find a two bedroom apartment for $180 a week??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

s.c wrote: »
    Where did you find a two bedroom apartment for $180 a week??

Think he means he is rent one of the bedrooms for $180

The $180 is for the entire two bed apartment, but its not in any of the big cities, which obviously are more expensive. But I have seen some good deals on gumtree in Melbourne.

The $180 is for the entire two bed apartment, but its not in any of the big cities, which obviously are more expensive. But I have seen some good deals on gumtree in Melbourne.

Where can you rent a 2 bed apartment for $180 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

283079-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Xavi6 wrote: »
    283079-14.jpg

haha I can just about hear the banjo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

283079-14.jpg

Estate agent listing:
    A bijou, detached dwelling in the most tranquil of woodland settings. Original period features and well ventilated, open plan living space. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

^ don't forget the Outdoor living space, room for at least a 2 burner.

• Advertisement

Thats actually nicer than the gaff I was paying 500 a week for in St Kilda

Griffith, NSW. If you look hard enough, you can get one cheaper.

You should have done your research and stayed away from St. Kilda, probably the most overpriced suburb in Melbourne.

Griffith, NSW. If you look hard enough, you can get one cheaper.

You should have done your research and stayed away from St. Kilda, probably the most overpriced suburb in Melbourne.
    • 803 km (499 mi) from Adelaide
    • 568 km (353 mi) from Sydney
    • 512 km (318 mi) from Melbourne
    • 358 km (222 mi) from Canberra

I'd rather pay the extra tbh

Good for you, I'm just trying to give a reasoned and honest response to the OP, There is work here and rent is affordable.

Also I added that more affordable places(far less than $500 a week) can be found in Melbourne too! Have a look on gumtree, Its not an absolute necessity to live in the centre of Melbourne, public transport is quite good and affordable.

Id rather stay at home than live there tbh

Id rather stay at home than live there tbh

Each to their own, but I would rather be here working, earning a half decent wage rather than signing on at a dole office in Dublin, I found that quite depressing last year.

But then you sound like quite a privileged chap, I'm sure thats beneath someone like you:pac:

Also I'd like to add there is some really beautiful national parks out this way, with an abundance of wildlife. I do intend on moving back to Melbourne, but i've enjoyed my stay so far in semi rural Australia.

Good for you, I'm just trying to give a reasoned and honest response to the OP, There is work here and rent is affordable.

Also I added that more affordable places(far less than $500 a week) can be found in Melbourne too! Have a look on gumtree, Its not an absolute necessity to live in the centre of Melbourne, public transport is quite good and affordable.

To be fair you were disingenous by saying you can get a two bed for $180. You didn't say it was in the back arse of nowehere.

And I don't think it's the best or most suitable advice to the OP when the couple in question can't even wipe their arses by the sound of it (their fault of course but still).

Id rather live in Perth!

You still getting to the games Xavi? Hopefully Wellington can do themselves and Perth a favour Saturday

To be fair you were disingenous by saying you can get a two bed for $180. You didn't say it was in the back arse of nowehere.

And I don't think it's the best or most suitable advice to the OP when the couple in question can't even wipe their arses by the sound of it (their fault of course but still).

Read the post at the top of page 4, I said I wasn't living in any of the big cities, Griffith has a population of roughly 30,000 people , its not really the back arse of nowhere, certainly not by Australian standards.

Also It's a bit presumptuous to say they can't even wipe their own arses, so without knowing the couple, I would say my comment is a little bit more helpful than the " do you have any idea how expensive this place is? I was paying $500 in St. Kilda" type comments tbh.

Anybody planning to come here obviously needs to do their own research, but there is alot of opportunity here, it's just up to the potential immigrant to be smart and work hard and at the very least they'll have an enjoyable 2 years and save a few quid.

• Advertisement

Id rather live in Perth!

Fuck you!
    You still getting to the games Xavi? Hopefully Wellington can do themselves and Perth a favour Saturday

Yep every home game (working for Glory now) and it's a lot better since we're winning games. A home final would be awesome.

Advertisement