Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

My girlfriend recently had her credit card used unknown to her. The person who used her card bought a mobile for €250 from an online mobile shop. She has no idea how this person got hold of her information. Has anybody else suffered anything like this and is there anythig we can do to find the culprit? We have got the bank's fraud department onto it but although they might be able to reimburse her she still will not know how the person got her information. The reason I posted this under computers is because I feel more than likely the information was gained by using one.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So many ways. She could have used it in a machine that was being skimmed. She could have put her credit card bill in the bin and it was lifted. She could have used it online on an unsecure site. Did she get a phone call from her credit card company at all warning her of "unauthorised transactions" and get asked for the last 3 digits on the back of the card to prove that she is the card holder? If she did then it's most likely lifted from a discarded bill - they need those three digits to use it online. Never - ever - give those three digits to anyone - not even the credit card company - they don't need them for any reason!

She should be covered by the cc company for fraud but either way I would suggest cancelling the card and getting a new one issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

Macros42 wrote: »
    So many ways. She could have used it in a machine that was being skimmed. She could have put her credit card bill in the bin and it was lifted. She could have used it online on an unsecure site. Did she get a phone call from her credit card company at all warning her of "unauthorised transactions" and get asked for the last 3 digits on the back of the card to prove that she is the card holder? If she did then it's most likely lifted from a discarded bill - they need those three digits to use it online. Never - ever - give those three digits to anyone - not even the credit card company - they don't need them for any reason!

She should be covered by the cc company for fraud but either way I would suggest cancelling the card and getting a new one issued.

Yeah we cancelled the card. Never got a phone call requesting last three digits. They only got 250 but as u say we should be able to get that back. We are bemused. She only uses highstreet sites eg topshop. I'd love to know the shipping address but credit card company won't give it. Do you think if we told the guards they might be able to tell us more? Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why do you want to know where the phone was shipped, sounds like you want to pay them a visit???

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

Why do you want to know where the phone was shipped, sounds like you want to pay them a visit???

MC

No not at all but would just like to know who stole the information and if my girlfriend could press charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Leave the credit card company worry about that, they have a whole department dedicated to this.

Advise the GF to take better care of when and how she uses the CC and to shred the bills before throwing them away, this could have been skimmed but highly unlikely.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I assumed you'd told the guards already. You should contact the fraud squad or your local station immediately. They will get the shipping address and if it's in Ireland they'll pay a visit. You will never get the address yourself. This is a crime - you must contact the gardai. If you don't you can also forget about compensation from your credit card company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

the most common way to get credit card info is through bogus emails from your credit card bank. so if she received an e-mail from the bank saying something like they need to update the info or anything like that and they made her write the info in some form then that's most certainly the way they did it. i doubt the person who's done it lives in ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

could have been skimmed but highly unlikely

AFAIK it's the most common way of getting shafted. You hand over your credit card in a restraunt, shop, wherever. One swipe for the credit card company, one swipe for me.

Got shafted like this in Indonesia before. 9 months after we'd come back the credit card company phoned to ask if I was in Bali. :) Someone had bought something small (to verify that the card was working) and then went for a camcorder. The card was automatically flagged because I'd used it in the petrol station in Ireland that day.

Never actually heard of anyone getting stung through online means.

Advertisement