Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is driving me crazy!!!

• 24-09-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Well its pretty much as the title suggests.......

My parents recently changed our broadband provider from eircom to talk talk. Eircom worked fine, albeit a little slow. Then a few days after the account changed, understandably the eircom wireless router thingy stops working and we have to set up the Talk Talk one. Since im the teenager and seen as a whizzkid(i am compared to my parents, but in real life im not:)) it was left to me to do all this.....

So off iwent, folloed the instructions, put in all the internet stuff blah blah, connected the router to the phone line, and i got the internet working. There are two computers running off the router, my one ( a mac) and my parents one, some pc running XP, the PC is also however responsivle for my dads business. So with the router changed, i went out to the windows computer and located the network, and connected the computer. Network connections said that the connection was made and the signal was good. Done. Then i went to my mac, found the nework, connected and began to surf the interwebz. Everyones happy, right? Nope

The next day, it turns out that the internet isnt working on the windows computer. Yet network connections says that the connection is there and the signal is, as ever, good. So i ring talk talk, and ask them why it isnt working. The guy on the line runs me through a pint test on the PC. The router replies 4 times saying 32 bytes blah blh or something. So the talk talk guy concludes that its the problem with IE 7 which is known to have problems on XP apparently. So i decide, right i'll download firefox, it being a better browser. I just installed it there. And still the browsers are telling me they cant connect to the internet when network connectios is telling me the connection is "good"

Apologies for the novel, but my dad kinda needs the net urgently. Also i put it in the computer forum as it doesnt seem to be a problem with the actual internet as it is apparently "connected"

HELP!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

how is the xp pc connected to the router? wired or wireless?

you metioned ping tests but can you actually ping out as it sounds like the guy just got you to ping the router ???
    start / run/ cmd/ then type ping www.boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

The PC is connected wirelessly to the router, the same way as my mac is..... He ran the ping test to the router and the router responded, and seeing as the computer im using right now is using the same router,and im connexted, surely the PC that connect to the router, can connect to the internet?

or is that just crazy talk:(

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Did you start / run/ cmd/ then type ping www.boards.ie ?

ping the router and ping a web site outside are different , go ping www.boards.ie and see what you get, while your there in the command
    prompt run ipconfig /flushdns with the space.

Also what security is on the network ie wep /wpa etc? is it possible this info was entered wrong on his connection??? maybe try and create a new network connection and re enter the details on that pc

I didnt secure the connection as the router is too far away from any neighbours for people to get at it, and also i wanted to ensure that everything was smooth before i did. I did the ping test stuff

It pinged the router fine
    It couldnt find boards
    and the DNS flush worked

• Advertisement

ok so no connection to the outside world. any chance of conneting to the router from that pc with a cable for the sake of testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wait a sec, we have not established there is no connectivity to the outside world, we have just established it can not ping boards.

OP, click start -> run, type in cmd, then type ping 62.231.32.10

Do you get a reply from that?

Also, what make of router is the talk talk router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Ok go to run type cmd and then ipconfig /all dose it look any thing like

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 ( my router)
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

the Gateway may be set wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Mach wrote: »
    Ok go to run type cmd and then ipconfig /all ...

the Gateway may be set wrong

Do this and post the results up here. Perhaps the computer was given a static IP address previously.

Go to network connections, into the properties of TCP/IP and make sure that settings are obtained automatically.

I pm'ed the OP last night offering some telephone advice but have heard nothing. Either he got it fixed or he has buggered up the other connection as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Do this and post the results up here. Perhaps the computer was given a static IP address previously.

Would imagine that is/was the issue alright, still connecting to the same router so that will be fine, different gateway because of new provider.

I pm'ed the OP last night offering some telephone advice but have heard nothing. Either he got it fixed or he has buggered up the other connection as well.

Thats nice of you mate....

well CSI was about to finish and there was nothing else on until father ted at midnight so I thought why not. It should only have taken about 10 mins to fix via the phone, rather than hours via here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think this is general enough to leave in this forum for now. Not windows specific, not broadband specific. If it gets more narrowed I'll consider moving.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! especially you syklops.....your right, for a while i had screwed up this connection too, but its all working fine now..... Eventually what i did was change the DNS server... it has two of them autoatically configured by windows, and neither of them were the same as the DNS for my mac, so i changed one of them, made it the primamry server and bingo....

Collectively ye have saved my dad like 50 quid because he didnt have to call the computer guy..:D

Advertisement