Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland Vs Romania (in before the allegations)

• 14-06-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Right so hollands next match is against Romania.

They have no reason to win they are guaranteed 1st spot.
    If they lose Romania will go through to the quater finals.

If they win it is likely that either france or Italy would go through.

It is also likely that they will play a team from their group in the semis so will holland lose to avoid playing france/italy?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its not likely they will play a team from their group in the semi's its likely they will play Spain in the game of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

It is also likely that they will play a team from their group in the semis so will Holland lose to avoid playing france/italy?

Going on performances so far in their group, is it not better to knock Romania out, and play either Italy or France. Holland have both of those teams under their thumb.

Also, whilst Holland's big players have performed (unlike other teams) and this has been a contributing factor to their success, I think alot of the it boils down to how Van Basten has set the team up, and the philosophy of football he is trying to play. This shouldn't change even if personal do.

Also, I made this point in another thread about whether Van Basten will rest players
    He might rest older players like RVN,but this just means that RVP will start. Robben will probably start to get more playing time into him, and is it not better to leave the likes of Schneider continue to build their momentum and confidence.

I mean, you want your best players going into the knock outs on a high, and full of belief. Knocking in a few against the Romanians will help to achieve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah I'd say you're right, pity babel isn't around as well,
    they should give huntelaar a start, get the united fans going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

basically, from my point of veiw, holland need to beat or draw against romania, italy have to beat france

i'm slighty nervious about this group

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Also, I made this point in another thread about whether Van Basten will rest players

continuation or not, a full strength Holland could beat Romania at a stroll if they wanted too. however they lost to them (twice?) in qualifiers. I think this has the potential to turn into something of a grudge match so i don't think van Basten will be bothered about fielding a full strength side. especially if they are losing i'd say the Romanians will kick the living sh*te out of the Dutch, most teams would with the stakes that are in it. I fully expect Schnierder, van der Vaart and van Nistelrooy to be rested at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It all depends on the dutch team and attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Cant ever see van Basten going out deliberately to lose the game.

I can see him making a lot of changes to the starting line-up.g. more time for Robben, RVP, Huntelaar, Allefay etc.

Romania know that both Italy and France will be playing 100% for the win in the other game because if either side loses they are out. France and Italy know one of them will be going home. If they lose they are definately going home and even if they draw, there's a good chance both will go home.
    The Romanians know this and know their destiny is in their own hands. I think they are a naturally defensive side but will know that given the situation in the other game, they can't rely on just getting a draw. They will know their destiny is in their hands and if they win they will go through. They too will have to try to win the game, which sets it up perfectly for a counter-attacking Dutch side. I don't think the Dutch would be capable of going out and playing defensively.

I think the outcome will depend on how the Romanians react to the penalty miss (if Mutu had scored they would be through now) - will this affect them? Also I think the Romanians are an instinctively defensive team - they like to stiffle teams and win by the odd goal - how will they perform against a Dutch side who look very dangerous if you give them any sort of room at the back ?
    For the Dutch I'd imagine there will be quite a few changes in the team and how these replacements perform will be the key. The players who come in will be looking to put up a good performance to force themselves into the first team pecking order. How they perform will be key?

For some reason I fancy the Dutch and Romanians to go through.

Tis beautifully balanced for two cracking games anyway - cant wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

irish-stew wrote: »
    basically, from my point of veiw, holland need to beat or draw against romania, italy have to beat france

why?

holland dont need to do either they are guarented top stop

table so far is
    holland 6pts
    romania 2
    france 1
    italy 1

holland cant but finish top and all other teams need to win to qualify, the romanians have the advantage at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Even if Holland rest players, their squad is that good it won't be that much of a drop in quality, although I fancy Romania to sneak through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Holland beat Romania by 3, Italy France draw, 3 way drawing of lots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cant ever see van Basten going out deliberately to lose the game.
    No manager ever sends his team out to deliberately lose a game, but the point that's being made this time is that he may field a weaker team which may result in them getting beat. Although looking at their bench I don't think the team will be that much weaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

No way - if, for instance, Huntelaar starts, do you think he's not going to try? Imagine he gets a hat-trick? It'll be very difficult for him to be dropped, ditto for Kuyt/Van Persie. Too much at stake for the players to take their foot off the gas.
    Also, as for France and Italy, it's becoming obvious that neither are just that good. As shown by Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Right so hollands next match is against Romania.

They have no reason to win they are guaranteed 1st spot.
    If they lose Romania will go through to the quater finals.

If they win it is likely that either france or Italy would go through.

It is also likely that they will play a team from their group in the semis so will holland lose to avoid playing france/italy?

Bazmo - It was the OP raised the possibility of the Dutch deliberately losing, in order to knock Italy & France out and thus avoid them in the semi.

I was replying to this saying i don't see Van Basten doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bazmo - It was the OP raised the possibility of the Dutch deliberately losing, in order to knock Italy & France out and thus avoid them in the semi.

I was replying to this saying i don't see Van Basten doing this.
    Yeah but I was just saying that "no" manager would deliberately want their team to lose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

even if they lost 10-0 (they wont) Holland are through on top and will play Greece,Sweden or Russia most likely Sweden. While the 2nd place team be it Romania, Italy or France will play Spain (more than likely).

so Holland will Rotate some players i.e RVN and give people like Robben and RVP needed gametime and others like Huntelaar a chance to play. They wont underestimate or take Romania litely though and would probably prefer to play one of Italy/France again than the team that topped their qualifying group.

watching todays Spain vs Sweden game it can be said that Holland are the most on form team in the hardest half of the draw and have to be taken very seriously in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

bohsman wrote: »
    Holland beat Romania by 3, Italy France draw, 3 way drawing of lots?
    I posted this on another forum last night...

"If the Netherlands beat Romania, then a score draw between Italy and France will put Italy through. A scoreless draw would put it down to overall goal difference and so would depend on how badly Romania lose. If they were to lose 3-0, Italy would go through on the coefficient rule."

So to correct some myths in this thread -

1) Italy can still possibly qualify with a draw. France cannot.
    2) Penalties can only ever be used when two teams are level, not three.
    3) No drawing of lots will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

AdrianII wrote: »
    why?

holland dont need to do either they are guarented top stop

table so far is
    holland 6pts
    romania 2
    france 1
    italy 1

holland cant but finish top and all other teams need to win to qualify, the romanians have the advantage at the moment

a small acumalter is invloved, both holland and italy need to qualify for it, if romania were to beat holland, they would qualify along with them, putting italy out, regardless of their result against france

:o

Advertisement