Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Most likely. Take the old library, I'd imagine that it was probably considered impressive at opening, however by the time I'd started (09 - before building for the new part started) it looked pretty awful. My dad (i.e. Mr Architect) used to rant about it every time we drove past it. Some "modern" building styles don't really tend to stay relevant.

That old rte archive footage of the library opening on the thread ages ago definitely confirms that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Wow, I would never have thought SUSI were still screwing up like that nowadays.
    aaabbbb wrote: »
    After almost 7 months of waiting I just found out finally that I GOT MY GRANT :D:D

My sisters was rejected yesterday so I was expecting the same (and I'm slightly still fearing my approval is a mistake)

but staying optimistic does anyone know how I can find out what kind of grant I got using the online tracker or do I have to wait for the letter to arrive in the post on Monday ?!

It seems odd I've just read the letter there and I've been awarded 100% full grant non-adjacent (I actually live slightly under 45km to Maynooth) but my sister was refused on the basis of our family income being too high it just doesn't add up but I'm too afraid to call them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seeing as we are being nostalgic and all BRING BACK THE FOOTBRIDGE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Can someone tell me about this mythical footbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It looked as if it was made out of plywood and reused scaffolding. At least, that's what I can remember.

• Advertisement

While you're all feeling nostalgic, what's this phantom shítter story I keep hearing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

It looked as if it was made out of plywood and reused scaffolding. At least, that's what I can remember.
    Methinks you may be confusing the actual concrete footbridge with the little temporary bridge to the library when the new part was being built...?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

So apparently this is the mythical footbridge!

5351422357_6aba5458d4_z.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Westeros wrote: »
    So apparently this is the mythical footbridge!

5351422357_6aba5458d4_z.jpg

That picture does not show the danger. Slipping and sliding all over the place. But yet we all miss it! <3s for the Footbridge! You youngsters just don't understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh, THAT footbridge. :pac:

I'm also interested in the Terrible Tale of the Phantom Shitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Well, PayPal certainly chose a great day to randomly stop working again:

Screen-Shot-2014-12-01-at-17.29.58.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

As kids we would go to the top of the bridge and drop stuff off it, then run to the other side and see if we could see it. It was only small bits of paper etc, but we got great mileage out of it. One lad threw something and a fella pulled his car in and came after us, going mental!

That was a scary day actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It was an absolute beast trying to run over that bridge from a tutorial down by the swimming pool up to the arts block for a lecture in 5 minutes, I miss being a student at the moment only thing I can do is indulge my OCD with Pokemon Omega Ruby but as Arnold once said I'll be back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

thelad95 wrote: »
    How many computers roughly are available on campus? Am I right in saying the only places that have them are the library, the Callan building and the Arts block?

Callan has computer labs though always found a free computer in there! and it doesn't matter if there's a lecture if you're in the big one once you're not distracting them or interrupting etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Stinjy wrote: »
    Callan has computer labs though always found a free computer in there! and it doesn't matter if there's a lecture if you're in the big one once you're not distracting them or interrupting etc. :)

I assume you're a CS student though. Students that don't need to use the labs for their course aren't allowed in and wouldn't have an account anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone else getting pissd off with them LIST announcements in the library, they be roaring into the mike. jaysus if people cant do something at this stage... dont mind the first few weeks, why do they have to announce it anyway?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone else getting pissd off with them LIST announcements in the library, they be roaring into the mike. jaysus if people cant do something at this stage... dont mind the first few weeks, why do they have to announce it anyway?

''Attention all library users there is a LIST session starting at 2.15 pm on how to turn on a laptop in Training room A. If you are in this training room, can you please move to a seperate area''

So a college with a chronic shortage of computers and laptop areas moves 30-40 students who genuinely want to do work so a library secretary can give a handful of mature students a lecture on something they could figure out in a few minutes if they tried.

thelad95 wrote: »
    ''Attention all library users there is a LIST session starting at 2.15 pm on how to turn on a laptop in Training room A. If you are in this training room, can you please move to a seperate area''

So a college with a chronic shortage of computers and laptop areas moves 30-40 students who genuinely want to do work so a library secretary can give a handful of mature students a lecture on something they could figure out in a few minutes if they tried.
    Granted everyone's experience is different... and I'm basing this entirely on the frankly incredible questions I get asked by people who have just come from the Leaving Cert, people who you would, I think, naturally assume understand how to use the internet or computers, but simply haven't a clue. A large proportion of first years seem incapable of using the library at all, and many of them certainly have severe difficulties searching for relevant information, and in figuring out how to use that information. The sessions are clearly needed. Not so clear, despite what you may think, is the age group that needs them. There are students that need them and students that don't. Doesn't matter the damn age.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Granted everyone's experience is different... and I'm basing this entirely on the frankly incredible questions I get asked by people who have just come from the Leaving Cert, people who you would, I think, naturally assume understand how to use the internet or computers, but simply haven't a clue. A large proportion of first years seem incapable of using the library at all, and many of them certainly have severe difficulties searching for relevant information, and in figuring out how to use that information. The sessions are clearly needed. Not so clear, despite what you may think, is the age group that needs them. There are students that need them and students that don't. Doesn't matter the damn age.

I didn't mean to be ageist here. To be honest, one thing that should be included in orientation week is actually incorporating LIST sessions into the timetable. Instead of talks from the SU about how much craic freshers week will be, would this be more useful?

I think a lot of 1st years find the library intimidating to use at first and probably classify themselves as to cool or even ashamed to attend a LIST session off their own initiative. Some people still need to have their hands held after leaving secondary school.

I think that's a really good idea, making it part of orientation week, a tour and explanation of how to search for stuff maybe. Then they could figure out how to use the place without disrupting people at this time of the year who are studying / writing essays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i knew you would get pulled up on the mature students comment! careful now...! im mature student now 24 today hi, ya big ham!

Legitimate LIST announcement : Attention all library users, there is a LIST session taking place in blah blah blah at blah blah blah blah on Panic attacks, how to cope with them and what to do when you think you're having a panic attack, can all students not attending the list session please vacate the area.
    WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Announcements about preventing panic attacks should always be down to the background noise of a siren and dogs barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

GarIT wrote: »
    I assume you're a CS student though. Students that don't need to use the labs for their course aren't allowed in and wouldn't have an account anyway.

I'm not actually... Oops

Though I'm trying to remember what I used to log on... (Its bad it was only last year...)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm not actually... Oops

Though I'm trying to remember what I used to log on... (Its bad it was only last year...)

Please stay the hell out of the Computer Science labs, they are for CS students.
    I've been demonstrator a full for a lab and had to go hunting every week for people who shouldn't be there so my students can have computers to get their lab work done.

Also when it says "Exam in Progress", that means there is an exam in progress and you shouldn't walk in with your headphones blaring, saunter to the nearest computer, plonk yourself down and then get pissy or start yelling when I tell you that everyone here is taking an exam and ask you kindly to leave.

Plenty of other computers on campus for you to use. Long Corridor, the Arts Block, The Computer Centre, etc, how about using them?

The last few weeks of term are the busiest for most CS students with lab exams, assignments, projects and presentations due. How about not using the only machines on campus with the tools they need installed on them?

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Please stay the hell out of the Computer Science labs, they are for CS students.

Lovely attitude. I'd nearly be tempted to go out of my way to be an inconvenience to someone with your obvious derth of manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Plenty of other computers on campus for you to use. Long Corridor, the Arts Block, The Computer Centre, etc, how about using them?

Cos they're always full?

Lovely attitude. I'd nearly be tempted to go out of my way to be an inconvenience to someone with your obvious derth of manners.

To be fair they are specific rules, not just the choice of one poster.

Planemo wrote: »
    Cos they're always full?

That doesn't matter, students aren't allowed into the CS labs if they are either in use or the student is not taking a computer science module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I'm just saying there's not enough computers in the PCRs to meet demand.

Advertisement