Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Did you write? If so, what was the reply?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

D7 wrote: »
    Did you write? If so, what was the reply?:confused:

To be honest with you I haven't written to them yet, I've been trying to locate another building to use for this project because we have to obtain approval and start our preliminary report before before xmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

Just back from a walk in the Park today and was thinking about the fort and how it should be renovated, my idea was for hostel type accommodation, cheap yet comfortable and not requiring the fabric of the fort to altered too much. Many of the visitors to the park are young foreign tourists, Germans, French, Spanish who love the freedom the park offers in the heart of the city.

Renovations such as this are labour intensive, lots of jobs, plus they leave a lasting legacy and ongoing tourist attraction. Kilmainham had to be saved by enthusiasts, maybe the Fort will require a similar approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vonny232

Yeah I was also wandering around the outside of the fort yesterday.

I am sure that the fort will have a use. Unfortunately the fort is quite a treck away from the centre of dublin so it may not attract the visitor numbers to justify its restoration.

The OPW will have to be smart to find a decent use for this magnificently well built structure.

Regardless of its history, its a piece of Ireland heritage and should be respected.

I am originally fron England and have been surprised how the Irish government would allow so many historic buildings to fall into disrepair (AbandonedIreland illustrates this).
    The UK has official organisations such as the National trust and English heritage and there would be an uproar if these buildings were allowed to fall prey to vandals and the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KieranM

Hi, I wasnt able to access the picture S-Murphy put up...is there any chance anyone could send them to me? I am doing a product launch project for college and this would be a great location. I just need to use the photos for a mock up type thing. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Kieran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

KieranM wrote: »
    Hi, I wasnt able to access the picture S-Murphy put up...is there any chance anyone could send them to me? I am doing a product launch project for college and this would be a great location. I just need to use the photos for a mock up type thing. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Kieran

You are in luck - Tarquin Blake posts here and he is an expert on what you are looking at
    AI wrote: »
    My exhibition 'Abandoned Mansions of Ireland' reopens at Castletown House, Celbridge on Friday 1st April and runs until 2nd May.
    The exhibition is installed in the main front hall of the house and is FREE admission.

exhib_castletown1.jpg

Castletown is one of the finest historic houses in Ireland and is well worth a visit. Enjoy.

Castletown.JPG

Here is a link to his site and the Magazine Fort pages

http://www.abandonedireland.com/pf.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aruale

Hi Focus Mad,

I'm studying Architecture in DIT and i'm also wanting to do my project about the Magazine Fort in Phoenix Park. I was wondering if you finally managed to get any plans of the area and if you could share with me the information you were able to obtain. Maybe we could talk through email...
    I would be very grateful if you could answer soon as I need to decide in less than a week whether i choose the Fort for my project or not, depending on how much information i'm able to collect.
    Thank you very much and kind regards,

Aruale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EdFine1

Is it still possible to get into the fort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

EdFine1 wrote: »
    Is it still possible to get into the fort?

Good question.

You should probably look at Tarquin Blake's Abandoned Ireland and email him. He is always helpful with info and replies to emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EdFine1

Thank you kindly, CDfm. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Artcru

Hi Al,

I'm an architecture student at London met and our project this year is in Dublin.
    I'm also interested in Fort Magazine but I'm finding difficult to get the plans.
    Did you manage to get them? If so, would you please share or tell me who should I speak too?

Thank you

Artur Félix da Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

head over to the Bureau of Military History website

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/maps-plans-drawings-collection

There are a number of documents/plans relating to the Magazine Fort as well as other military buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Artcru

head over to the Bureau of Military History website

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/maps-plans-drawings-collection

There are a number of documents/plans relating to the Magazine Fort as well as other military buildings.

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fortresident

Hi All, I know this coversation is old, but I just came across it..... I lived in the Magazine Fort from 1968 to 1978. It was awonderful place for children to grow up...not so good when we became teenagers & could not have our friends visit our home....Security was tight then. There definately no tunnel in the fort.....No ammunitions have been held there since the raid in 1939. Just stores for the army & the pagentry items that were used in 1966 for the 50th anniversary for 1916. There is a very good reason why the Fort cannot not be used for other purposes, such as a musium .....I cannot divulge the reason here as it is protected under the State Secrets Act...I am happy to comment on the buildings & interior of the fort, if there is anything you wish to know.........Glad to see my old home place stirring some interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

focus_mad wrote: »
    The Office of Public Works have refused permission to the surveyors to release drawings to me so I think Im back to the drawing board, unless someone has a big ass ladder they want to lend me!!!!
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can you request them under the FOI act?

Let me know how you get on with this one as someone robbed me ladder last year! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Google Earth's satellite image of the Magazine Fort is quite informative when you zoom in:

Interesting design. What's the background to the fort's star-shaped architecture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seanchai wrote: »
    Interesting design. What's the background to the fort's star-shaped architecture?

Star shaped forts (traces italiennes) are a standard military design to improve fields of fire. Supposedly initially created by Michelangelo and ‘perfected’ by Vauban, Louis XIV’s military architect. The Phoenix park fort dates to the 1730’s so its design is of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 macmurphe

hi i have just joined as i was looking up on the raid, i to am hoping to do some work on the 1939 raid as i believe the MP on the gate was my grandfather. So if i can find out more about as i am family i hope to pass on as a story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Seanchai wrote: »
    Google Earth's satellite image of the Magazine Fort is quite informative when you zoom in:

There was also plans to build an enormous star-fort in the Pheonix Park, I don't have a proper reference to this a quick google just gives mentions of Wharton's Folly in relation to Finegans wake and this earlier planned fort, I do remember seeing it on a map on the wall of (I think) TCD and it was going to be very very large (a refugee for the Protestant population of Dublin AFAIK)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So it's not the only star shaped fort in the park? There was one prior it seems which is now 'under sports fields'
    'The buried remains of a star-shaped fortification may survive buried beneath the sod to be rediscovered by archaeological investigations. It was constructed in the early part of the 18th century at the Dublin Gate in the SE end of he park. In September 1834 a number of improvements were made to the Park under the direction of Decimus Burton including the levelling and in-filling of the star-shaped fort and underground drains which replaced open drains. The OS 1837 map shows part of this fort which is labelled as 'old star fort'. Currently there are sports grounds on the site.'

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Stumbled across this thread by accident. What a cool place. Gonna try and get in for look around and take a few pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUlSf0V1t4

Some drone footage.

Advertisement