Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WWII POW's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I know that quite a few Irishmen were involved in the liberation of Belsen as the first British unit to get there was the Irish Guards.

I knew one man ( sadly RIP now ) who lied about his age to join the RAF - not yet 18 years of age he was flying to Berlin on night raids as part of a Lancaster crew :eek:

I guess the experiences were the same everywhere - boredom , terror , horror , elation , etc. The difficulty for many Irish though was that many felt they could not talk about it , that they were somehow seen as ' traitors ' , this had the result of many of their stories not being heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Although not strictly an "Irishman" my mother's first cousin was captured at Calais just before the fall of Dunkirk in 1940 and spent the rest of the war in POW camps in Germany.

He kept a diary of his first year of captivity which was found in his effects after his death in the 1980s and I believe might have been donated to the Imperial War Museum, after transcripts were prepared and sent to family members, which is how I come to have a copy.

He was the son of an Irishman who had served, along with three brothers two of whom were killed, with the Irish Guards in the first World War. After his release, he was sent over to his aunts in Dublin to be fattened up because he was a half-starved emaciated skeleton by the end of hostilities. My mother remembers him from this time.

Ireland may not have been a land of milk and honey in the immediate post war years but at least home-produced foodstuffs were available more plentifully than in Britain where rationing remained in place for long after the war.

His diary, although no great work of literature, is a candid and interesting insight into the experiences of the POW. It was an austere life, dominated by hardship and deprivation. There is little mention of any actual brutality. Indeed some of the German guards are described sympathetically. But the lack of proper meals and any form of amenities are quite stark when compared with our affluent society of today.

Changes of clothes were a luxury. At one stage, his boots fell to pieces and while he was waiting to have them repaired he had to work, in a coalmine in Silesia, barefoot for a few days!

His most heartfelt desire was for a letter from home. Several times large consignments of mail arrive for his comrades but none for him. His diary ends in Christmas 1940. He had had the unspeakable luxury of a shared Red Cross parcel with such delights as honey and jam. But all he wanted was the letter which he had never received.

A footnote to the diary shows that he later received several letters in successive days in January 1941. Shades of the old trope that one waits an hour for a bus and then three arrive at once.

How poignant does that sound to today's texting, Skypeing, Facebooking generation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Robert Widders has recently published a book about Irish POW's in the far east during WWII. It details many horrors from the experiences of these Irishmen- 650 people from Ireland were POW's of the Japanese with a 23% mortality rate. I was surprised at the number and the wide dispersal across the country, rural and urban. I thought it an important book in documenting these facts as he did manage to talk to many of these men (mainly) who are of course getting fewer and fewer. Book review here http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/review-history-the-emperors-irish-slaves-prisoners-of-the-japanese-in-the-second-world-war-by-robert-widders-3016721.html .One of the more extreme of death's suffered by Irish men was a crucifiction detailed in the book- apparantly this was quite a widespread method of execution as a deterrant to other prisoners. Naturally people generally did not survive to tell of this but one man -Ringer Edwards, an australian did.
    In Japan, crucifixion was used as a punishment for prisoners of war during World War II. Ringer Edwards, an Australian prisoner of war was crucified for killing cattle, along with two others. He survived 63 hours before being let down. http://www.websters-dictionary-onlin...&sa=Search#906

In another point the author writes of 2 brothers form Cork, the detail is repeated by same author here http://irishecho.com/?p=70250

This lead me to think what other experiences Irishmen and women active in WWII had, in either the far east or Europe.
    Once again the OP has started a thread which seems based on little fact but dodgy links and half truths. Something like the British propaganda myth of the Crucified Canadian soldier of WW1 which was featured on Discovery a while ago.

379px-Your_Liberty_Bond_will_help_stop_this_Crisco_restoration_and_colours.jpg

As per OP " One of the more extreme of death's suffered by Irish men was a crucifiction detailed in the book " If you actually read through the link * provided by him, you'll find it the OP's statement is based on little fact - " Sergeant Priestman did not use the words crucifixion when he later gave evidence for a post-war war crimes tribunal. But perhaps his description speaks for itself. In the undergrowth nearby we found three bamboo crosses, about seven feet by four feet. We also saw another bamboo cross jutting out of the ground. We uncovered it and found the dead body of a British soldier, tied to the cross with his arms outstretched"

* http://irishecho.com/?p=70250

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Once again the OP has started a thread which seems based on little fact but dodgy links and half truths. Something like the British propaganda myth of the Crucified Canadian soldier of WW1 which was featured on Discovery a while ago.

As per OP " One of the more extreme of death's suffered by Irish men was a crucifiction detailed in the book " If you actually read through the link * provided by him, you'll find it the OP's statement is based on little fact - " Sergeant Priestman did not use the words crucifixion when he later gave evidence for a post-war war crimes tribunal. But perhaps his description speaks for itself. In the undergrowth nearby we found three bamboo crosses, about seven feet by four feet. We also saw another bamboo cross jutting out of the ground. We uncovered it and found the dead body of a British soldier, tied to the cross with his arms outstretched"

* http://irishecho.com/?p=70250

Your post does not make any sense. You have contradicted yourself in the last part of the post if any logic is applied. Priestman states that he found a body tied to a cross and you in the same post say that he didnt mention the word 'crucifiction'. Do you have a different word for being tied to a cross and left to die? Which part of Priestmans sworn affidavit are you doubting anyway- are you saying that he did not find the body tied to the cross.

I suspect your comment is more to do with your recent infractions and bans issued by myself on this forum. If that is the case you should stop now. If you have a problem with bans or infractions you can PM me or contact boards.ie disputes resolution admins who will deal with it. Trolling on a thread is not the solution. Finally if you genuinely think a thread that looks at the fate of Irish POW's in WWII is "British propaganda myth" then you should take your 'knowledge' elsewhere. It is a serious topic and a very much worthwhile discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Your post does not make any sense. You have contradicted yourself in the last part of the post if any logic is applied. Priestman states that he found a body tied to a cross and you in the same post say that he didnt mention the word 'crucifiction'. Do you have a different word for being tied to a cross and left to die? Which part of Priestmans sworn affidavit are you doubting anyway- are you saying that he did not find the body tied to the cross.
    What in God's name do you not understand about " Sergeant Priestman did not use the words crucifixion " I can't make it simpler than that. Please don't reply with more questions.
    I suspect your comment is more to do with your recent infractions and bans issued by myself on this forum. If that is the case you should stop now. If you have a problem with bans or infractions you can PM me or contact boards.ie disputes resolution admins who will deal with it. Trolling on a thread is not the solution. Finally if you genuinely think a thread that looks at the fate of Irish POW's in WWII is "British propaganda myth" then you should take your 'knowledge' elsewhere. It is a serious topic and a very much worthwhile discussion.
    Wrong world war. What I stated was "Something like the British propaganda myth of the Crucified Canadian soldier of WW1 which was featured on Discovery a while ago."

And while I am at it since you asked, not trolling, only trying to improve the forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crucified_Soldier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have seen this article before and this struck me
    This is a grim book, but an important one. No subject is avoided, including the issue of collaboration with some POWs killed by fellow inmates for being "Jap happy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

There was an old soldier that lived a few doors away from me in Finglas when in was growing up and he was in Japanese POW camp.

I asked his son why his dad had a scar on each cheek and was told the Japanese did it to him in the camp. he also pointed out that his father was missing a diget on both his little fingers also happened in the camp. along with this he also said his father was tortured while a prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

A great and emotive read is 'Almost a lifetime' by John McMahon - known to his friends as Paddy Mac - an Irishman from the North.

He was shot down in a Lancaster on February 2, 1943, and his time as a POW is a remarkable testament to the human spirit. Not only did he trace the Dutch family who took him in for a while, risking death to do so, but he also found and made contact with the German pilot who had shot him down.

He emigrated to Canada shortly after his grocery business in Belfast failed to thrive in post-war rationed UK, and still lives on Salt Spring Island in the Juan de Fuca Straits between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

He is a truly remarkable man with a very human story to tell - I commend his book to all of you.

tac

On an aside , Terrence O'Neill the 1960's NI Prime Minister was also shot down over Holland and was reputedly sheltered by a Dutch catholic family and that influenced his policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There was an old soldier that lived a few doors away from me in Finglas when in was growing up and he was in Japanese POW camp.

I asked his son why his dad had a scar on each cheek and was told the Japanese did it to him in the camp. he also pointed out that his father was missing a diget on both his little fingers also happened in the camp. along with this he also said his father was tortured while a prisoner.

My great uncle (whom I have sadly never met) was captured by the Japanese after the boat he was on got torpedoed. From what my grandmother (who also lived in Finglas until she passed away) told me, he was as 'thin as a rake' because he ate so very little even later in life from the starvation his body grew accustomed to in the POW camps. I was also told that he was missing quite a few fingernails from where the Japanese tortured him during his captivity.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    On an aside , Terrence O'Neill the 1960's NI Prime Minister was also shot down over Holland and was reputedly sheltered by a Dutch catholic family and that influenced his policies.

Are you sure about that ? When O'Neill was Prime Minister he was called '' Captain '' which was a reference to his wartime rank in the Irish Guards , he did not serve in the RAF :confused:

P.S. Just saw that bit in Wikipedia , interesting , I never knew that.

Delancey wrote: »
    Are you sure about that ? When O'Neill was Prime Minister he was called '' Captain '' which was a reference to his wartime rank in the Irish Guards , he did not serve in the RAF :confused:

I certainly have read it and I always assumed that it was as a passenger as opposed to a pilot. I think I read it in connection with his wife who died in 2008.

I said reputedly as I don't have a source but when I came across it he has maintained a friendship and it was given as the reason for his views on catholics. Here is what I found in a rememberence by Sir Kenneth Bloomfield
    His wartime service
    with the Irish Guards meant a great deal to him and he never forgot his
    companions of those testing years, whether they were regimental
    brothers-in-arms or the Ten Horn family of Nijmegen, who opened
    their home to him when he was wounded during the attack. As O’Neill
    himself wrote
    As history records, we never reached Arnhem. I myself was slightly
    wounded on the north of the Nijmegen Bridge and, as we were cut off
    for a week because the slender line to Nijmegen had been recaptured,
    I spent a week in the hospitable home of the Ten Horn

http://www.ancestryireland.com/fileadmin/uhf_pdfs/Familia_pdfs/Familia_2002/Terence_O_Neill___1914-1990__Remembered.pdf

Henry Clark his friend was both unionist and non sectarian.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/obituaries/2012/0407/1224314498683.html

Delancey wrote: »
    P.S. Just saw that bit in Wikipedia , interesting , I never knew that.

I checked the wikipedia but couldn't see a source.

And his wife Jean was a devout christian and I wondered about her influence on him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/2494952/Lady-ONeill-of-the-Maine.html.

Anyway, these guys (O'Neill, Clark & George Forrest) challenge the stereotype of unionists as sectarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

'A Doctor's War' - an autobiography by Aidan McCarthy. Its publication came about by accident as a result of a chance meeting by Pete McCarthy (McCarthy's Bar) with the Doctor's family. A good read.
    As an RAF medical officer, Aidan had served in France, survived Dunkirk, and was plunged into adventures in the Japanese-American arena comparable with those of famous war heroes. Interned by the Japanese in Java, he helped his fellow prisoners with amazing ingenuity in awful conditions. En route back to Japan in 1944, his ship was torpedoed but he was rescued by a whaling boat and re-interned in Japan. His life was literally saved by the dropping of the Nagasaki atom bomb. He was then eyewitness to the horror and devastation it caused. This is an almost incredible account written with humour and dignity. More at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-War-Aidan-MacCarthy/dp/product-description/1904943403

A friend of mine's father was a Jap POW and even in the 1970's had not got over the horrors - he regularly woke up screaming.

A friend of mine's father was a Jap POW and even in the 1970's had not got over the horrors - he regularly woke up screaming.

Can you tell us more (if you have any) on this Pedro- Where was he, Burma, Japan, Singapore, etc.

I know a guy whose Step Father was an RAF pilot in the far east during WW2. This man says he still has never gotten over the sight of the '' walking dead '' he saw come out of Jap POW camps - he says that effected him far more than the stress of combat operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I visited Dachau a few years ago, there's a map of Europe displayed in one area with numbers of inmates on each of their countries of origin. Ireland is credited with ONE solitary inmate.
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/the-dublin-cinema-manager-who-became-the-only-irish-prisoner-of-dachau/

dmcronin wrote: »
    I visited Dachau a few years ago, there's a map of Europe displayed in one area with numbers of inmates on each of their countries of origin. Ireland is credited with ONE solitary inmate.
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/the-dublin-cinema-manager-who-became-the-only-irish-prisoner-of-dachau/

I hadn't known that and the Savoy Cinema connection as I know the buildings.

A bit more info on the Irish in the camps

http://furtherglory.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/update-on-the-irish-prisoner-at-dachau/

Can you tell us more (if you have any) on this Pedro- Where was he, Burma, Japan, Singapore, etc.
    Sorry JBG, no other info. We avoided the man and it hardly was a topic for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My uncle was captured at Dunkirk and spent the entire war in various POW camps. He wrote a book about his experiences that involved three or four escape attempts and also an attempted recruitment by the germans to become a spy.

• Advertisement

22 Irish POW's were victims of a controversial incident in the far east. The 'Lisbon Maru' Japanese ship was being used as a transport ship taking troops to Japan in September 1942. The ship had no identification to show its POW cargo and was sunk by an American submarine.
    lisbon_maru-2.jpg
    The Lisbon Maru.

The ship was one of what are described as 'hellships' due to the conditions on board. The following report seems to be on of the more balanced descriptions (as in it describes the positives of the first few days of the transport). It is worth reading:
    At 0700hrs on the 1st of October, all the prisoners were waiting in the holds for morning roll call, suddenly without warning a torpedo struck and the ship shuddered to a halt. There was no casualties among the prisoners, the torpedo having hit the bunkers below the water line. The few prisoners who at that time were on deck, were immediately pushed back into the nearest hold and Japanese sentries were placed on the entrance of each hold. The

prisoners remained perfectly calm as they listened to depth charges being dropped by the Japanese navy. The ships three inch gun on the after deck began to fire rather spasmodically, and later the sound of Japanese planes could be heard dropping bombs, and the sound of depth charges exploding.

Many of the prisoners were suffering from dysentery and diarrhoea, so the attack accentuated their predicament, and although requests were made to the Japanese for these men to be allowed on deck to use the receptacles provided, they were refused, with the inevitable results.

There was no breakfast issued, which might have been just as well

considering the stench and filth. No one was allowed on deck for any reason and for the next seven hours in the stifling heat there was no communication at all with the Japanese. Suddenly at dusk, around seven o'clock in the evening, the Japanese began to batten down the hatches.Lt Colonel Stewart the senior British officer on board began to remonstrate with the Japanese, requesting that they should at least leave one balk of timber to help provide a little air.

The request was followed by an order from the Japanese commander for all the hatches to be battened down and covered with tarpaulins, which were then roped down.There was now no means of exit and with no fresh air flow, the conditions worsened very rapidly, but through it all the men remained calm and obedient.
    By dawn of the 2nd October, twenty four hours after the torpedo had struck, the air in the holds was becoming dangerously foul, the ship began to lurch and stagger, it was evident that she was going to sink.Since all requests to the Japanese had been ignored or refused, Lt Colonel Stewart authorised a small party to attempt to break out, principally to persuade the Japanese to at least give them a fighting chance.

Men with long knives had already been stationed by the hatch, and on the orders of Colonel Stewart, began to push their knives up through the balks of timber above them to cut away the ropes and tarpaulin. The operation was successful, Lt Howell and Lt Potter plus one or two others climbed onto the deck and walked slowly toward the bridge asking to be allowed to talk to the captain of the ship.

The Japanese opened fire with their rifles hitting Lt Potter and one or two other ranks who had climbed onto the deck LT Potter subsequently died. The remaining men returned to the hold and reported to Colonel Stewart that the ship was very low in the water and evidently about to sink. From a distance, the Japanese started to fire into the hold. Suddenly the ship lurched and began sinking by the stern, the water rushing into the now open hold. The stern resting on a sand bank and the forward section remained protruding from the water for about an hour.

As soon as it was realised that the ship was sinking, the men with the knives began to hack at the ropes on the other hatches. The men from number one and two hold formed queues to escape, but the men of number three hold were unfortunately now below the water line, and it was not possible for those with knives to be able to cut away the ropes and tarpaulin The Japanese soldiers and sailors who were standing by aboard ships alongside, now began to fire at the escaping prisoners, and at those swimming in the water.
    http://www.fepow-community.org.uk/arthur_lane/html/sinking_of_the_lisbon_maru.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I worked with a man in Harland & Wolff who had been a prisoner of the Japanese. Any time a Japanese delagation was visting the shipyard his friends always took him away so he would not run into them. I pity them if he had have got at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fareastEddie

Hi, guys, can any body provide more info about this kind topic ( Irish fighting in Far East).

Originally from China, now living in Dublin, I personally have strong interest of getting into this part record of history, before it is too late.
    ^^^mod edit , forum is for discussion, not requests for private messages for research.^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Actually, the most recent evidence suggest that the story of the crucified Canadian was true.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Overton

It wasn't German policy, most likely just "red mist" anger on the spot.

It interesting now when people discuss the German invasion of Belgium in 1914, the things that comes up most frequently is the atrocity propaganda. The actual atrocities are now less well known. For example, in Dinant, believing that civilians had fired on them (no evidence that they were fired on), German soldiers executed 612 civilians, including some women, and destroyed most of the town. http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/dinant.htm
    Sergeant Priestman did not use the words crucifixion

RE: the Japanese and crucifixion, there is much documented evidence of this, including someone who survived: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_Edwards
    This wasn't out of character though for the Japanese, POWs also faced beatings, beheading, bayoneting etc. Sometimes as punishment, sometimes just random acts of cruelty. And arguably civilians in places like China and the Philippines were treated even worse by the Japanese.
    Hi, guys, can any body provide more info about this kind topic ( Irish fighting in Far East).

Originally from China, now living in Dublin, I personally have strong interest of getting into this part record of history, before it is too late.
    ^^^mod edit , forum is for discussion, not requests for private messages for research.^^^

Most of the Irish in British forces in Pacific theatre who didn't get taken prisoner would have fought in Burma after that. There were a lot of Irish priests in the Catholic Columban orders mission to China in the 1930s. They sent back a lot of information on the Japanese bombings and their treatment of the native Chinese. http://earthcaremission.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/china-in-the-20th-century-fr-sean-mcdonagh/

I’ve just finished reading Laura Hillenbrand’s book ‘Unbroken’ on Louis Zamperini -an amazing character, covers his early running career, survival in a liferaft, POW experiences in Japan (horrid) and a bit on his post-war life. The book is a bit over-written in places but a good if not at times depressing read. Apparently a film is in the can, for release end 2014. One of the POW research sites mentioned is very comprehensive http://www.mansell.com/pow-index.html

Advertisement