Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo ID to be needed to collect welfare

• 06-04-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

The above title comes from this link
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0406/welfare.html
    which contains the following
    The Department of Social & Family affairs said in a statement that more than 10% of Social Welfare claimants investigated in a targeted spot check have had their payments suspended.

The Department said the vast majority of those whose payments were suspended were non-Irish nationals.

My question is why is is necessary for a Government Dept to publicly point the finger at the non-nationals?

Is this an attempt by the Government to harness innate Irish racism in advance of the budget tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its from a report, I'd like to see what was actually said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Carlow52 wrote: »
    The above title comes from this link
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0406/welfare.html
    which contains the following

My question is why is is necessary for a Government Dept to publicly point the finger at the non-nationals?

Is this an attempt by the Government to harness innate Irish racism in advance of the budget tomorrow?

No its to do with folk scamming the system sending others to collect their money and signing for them. Whether they are Irish or non nationals it has been a problem for the social welfare. From all the talk on the radios today it seems they have caught a couple of hundred of scammer of all nationalities including Irish.

But there is a high number of non nationals doing it and everybody knows its going on. But there is the same amount of Irish folk doing it also. Obviously its easy for them to do it and now the Welfare want to put a stop to it in general.

Anyway caught doing it should be fooked in jail regardless of where they are from. But I will say this is if the report shows that it is a majority of foreign nationals doing it how is this racist? In fact folk like you starting this thread are bringing attention to this by linking the two together. Anyone with a brain wont tar everyone with the same brush. There is always a minority making everyone look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Anyway caught doing it should be fooked in jail regardless of where they are from.

Hope they get them flowers first

"Spot Checks" My arse, (that just sounds wrong). I'd be fairly sure that there were far more Eastern European and African names "spot" checked. The Irish are as big a chancers as anyone and statistically for the "vast majority" at least over 50% being non-nationals suggests to me that the "vast majority" inspected were non-nationals.

What annoys me though is the hullaballoo made over this when there are real fraudsters fukin up the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Anyway caught doing it should be fooked in jail regardless of where they are from.

Putting them in jail will cost us even more! Just cut off their payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

6th wrote: »

Still not going to stop them now is it. Think about it there is more than one person involved in the scam. The person doing it will just go to a different office under a different name. So do we leave Fraudsters on the street? They will adapt their methods and continue to scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

6th wrote: »

Think productivity 6th, there are roads to build and work camps to erect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Kernel wrote: »
    Think productivity 6th, there are roads to build and work camps to erect!
    Edited: 'Think productivity 6th, there are roads to build and FEMA camps to erect!" :eek:

My theory is that this will be the first move for the Government to creep the chipped National ID card into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Edited: 'Think productivity 6th, there are roads to build and FEMA camps to erect!" :eek:

My theory is that this will be the first move for the Government to creep the chipped National ID card into the country.
    And why would we be erecting camps for the US Government in Ireland?

I would have never guessed you'd have a theory about the government requiring IDs to get Social Welfare Payments...obviously because it's such an outlandish concept that the government would like you to prove who you are before they give you free money and to make sure you won't just feck off to some other country or go to some other dole office and collect more money

And why would we be erecting camps for the US Government in Ireland?
    I should have been more specific "Euro" version of holding camps.
    I would have never guessed you'd have a theory about the government requiring IDs to get Social Welfare Payments...obviously because it's such an outlandish concept that the government would like you to prove who you are before they give you free money and to make sure you won't just feck off to some other country or go to some other dole office and collect more money
    I dont have an issue with picture ID, Its the type of card that will be introduced and where it can lead to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I should have been more specific "Euro" version of holding camps.

I dont have an issue with picture ID, Its the type of card that will be introduced and where it can lead to.
    And where is there any mention of this type of card you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Everyone knows you have to produce Photo ID to actually apply for the dole right? And that you have to produce your social welfare card as well.

And regardless of the ratio of non-nationals to nationals involved in welfare fraud, it is a fairly sizable problem. A problem that bringing a photo ID would help solve.

Also last year they stopped allowing new applicants receiving payment direct into their bank accounts, due to fraud.

And where is there any mention of this type of card you suggest?
    As I said before, this was knocked on the head due to Government finances but will no doubt raise its ugly head again. It mentions compatibility with the EU E_Borders, which is the 13.56 RFID frequency as used on current all international E Passports since 2006.

Here:
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/new-state-id-cards-on-way-1446912.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So you're saying the evil government refused to implement the evil national ID cards that they are so evily trying to force on us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭jackiebrown

Yeah, bloody dole scroungers. If only they'd went to uni and studied business and learned to fleece us for millions it'd be alright. Filthy layabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yeah, bloody dole scroungers. If only they'd went to uni and studied business and learned to fleece us for millions it'd be alright. Filthy layabouts.

All stealing is illegal (or should be) and wrong. As for some of the stuff the banks did, well it seems it wasn't illegal at all. So we have to ask ourselves why we kept voting for a government that allowed this.

meglome wrote: »
    All stealing is illegal (or should be) and wrong. As for some of the stuff the banks did, well it seems it wasn't illegal at all. So we have to ask ourselves why we kept voting for a government that allowed this.

I'm confused. Are you saying legal/illegal = right/wrong?. Who created these rights/statutes which banks used to STEAL millions? And do you think that under different stewardship this wouldn't of happened? You can say what the banks did was legal but that doesn't change the fact it was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It seems that in their elaborate and meticulous schemes and complete control the government forgot to tell the post offices to check for ID.
    Their evil plan to implement a national ID has got off to a bad start.

I'm confused. Are you saying legal/illegal = right/wrong?. Who created these rights/statutes which banks used to STEAL millions? And do you think that under different stewardship this wouldn't of happened? You can say what the banks did was legal but that doesn't change the fact it was wrong.

Sorry thought I was clear. All stealing=wrong.

We voted for a government that allowed these things to happen. If you facilitate greed you can't be too surprised when people get greedy. I have no idea if a different government would have done anything differently. As I have no way to know I'm not assuming either way, I'd like to think they might have though.

Who did you vote for?

Sorry thought I was clear. All stealing=wrong.

We voted for a government that allowed these things to happen. If you facilitate greed you can't be too surprised when people get greedy. I have no idea if a different government would have done anything differently. As I have no way to know I'm not assuming either way, I'd like to think they might have though.

Who did you vote for?

I didn't vote. (I can hear it now. "A weakness" they cry. How can someone complain about government and not even vote)

The government didn't allow these things to happen, they had no CHOICE. We would be here now no matter who was in power. The banks control everything. EVERYTHING.

I didn't vote. (I can hear it now. "A weakness" they cry. How can someone complain about government and not even vote)

The government didn't allow these things to happen, they had no CHOICE. We would be here now no matter who was in power. The banks control everything. EVERYTHING.

Well it seems that we are talking two different languages here and we may never understand each other.

The banks are on their knees and somehow they are also in control of EVERYTHING. You'll forgive me for pointing out that if they control everything they shouldn't be on bended knee begging for help nor should any of them have gone bust.

You openly admit to not voting for anyone yet you seem to have a major problem with the system. Systems do change if we try to change them. Sure some things never do change but most things can and do get changed eventually, even in some small way. If you care, which you appear to, shouldn't you be fighting for this change.

• Advertisement

Well it seems that we are talking two different languages here and we may never understand each other.

That was evident ages ago.
    The banks are on their knees and somehow they are also in control of EVERYTHING. You'll forgive me for pointing out that if they control everything they shouldn't be on bended knee begging for help nor should any of them have gone bust.

The banks are fine, its the people and small businesses who are struggling. Where did the bailout money go? To the bankers or to stimulate the ec`onomy? Central control. Nationalise the banks, its now the peoples debt. Who will we be in debted to? The ECB.

I didn't mean BOI or the AIB is the devil, whoever owns the money i.e power is?
    If you care, which you appear to, shouldn't you be fighting for this change.
    I can picture a world without banks and money. Can you?

The banks are fine, its the people and small businesses who are struggling. Where did the bailout money go? To the bankers or to stimulate the ec`onomy? Central control. Nationalise the banks, its now the peoples debt. Who will we be in debted to? The ECB.

We'll be indebted because we were stupid, end of. The ECB warned us about our property boom and we ignored it. We can use the example of the last big recession and compare what happened when the banks were not saved. Again the fact is it was much much worse then.
    I didn't mean BOI or the AIB is the devil, whoever owns the money i.e power is?
    I can picture a world without banks and money. Can you?

You're naive in the extreme if you think removing money will stop anyone seeking power. We could I suppose look at history to see that.

I can picture a lot of things but I've yet to hear of (or dream of) a system that is likely to work better than we have now given the way humans are. That's not to say we don't need and want improvements to the current system.

We'll be indebted because we were stupid, end of. The ECB warned us about our property boom and we ignored it. We can use the example of the last big recession and compare what happened when the banks were not saved. Again the fact is it was much much worse then.

Yes, England, The US, Australia, Africa etc etc etc were all stupid and deserve it. Or were we duped?
    You're naive in the extreme if you think removing money will stop anyone seeking power.
    Am I?.
    I can picture a lot of things but I've yet to hear of (or dream of) a system that is likely to work better than we have now given the way humans are. That's not to say we don't need and want improvements to the current system.
    So you never heard of a better system but you feel it needs improvement. What improvements?

Advertisement