Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HR875 - Prevent self-sustainable people

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Martyr wrote: »
    Alright, I made it up, thought you would have seen the funny side of it.

OK, I give in King Mob, the world is perfect and government are nice people who want nothing but the best for the people.

Yes, we're ruled by gentle men who are worried about the quality of our food consumed.

Yea that exactly what I'm arguing.

The reason you can't provide a scrap of evidence to support your position is obviously because the governments are perfect.:rolleyes:

That's some awesome logic there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

King Mob wrote:
    Wow that's a lot of back tracking there.

If the government where to introduce registration to ban cigarette and alcohol people would still cry conspiracy.

But is that your only supporting evidence? The government is evil?

King Mob, the government really care about people, I know this for a fact because even a starving man on the street can have a warm meal and a bed to sleep on at the end of the day.

Government have always cared for welfare of people, this is very true.

King Mob wrote:
    Yea that exactly what I'm arguing.

I know, and I was wrong..I'm sorry but it was only meant as a joke.
    King Mob wrote:
    The reason you can't provide a scrap of evidence to support your position is obviously because the governments are perfect.

Yes, I know they are, why would they ever hurt people that voted for them?
    That's some awesome logic there.

you said it, boss.

King Mob, the government really care about people, I know this for a fact because even a starving man on the street can have a warm meal and a bed to sleep on at the end of the day.

Government have always cared for welfare of people, this is very true.
    Therefore any government action that does attempt to protect people's health is obviously an elaborate conspiracy?
    Yet more awesome logic.

I know, and I was wrong..I'm sorry but it was only meant as a joke.

Yes, I know they are, why would they ever hurt people that voted for them?

you said it, boss.
    So have you anything to support you claims other than the belief that the government is evil?

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote:
    Therefore any government action that does attempt to protect people's health is obviously an elaborate conspiracy?
    Yet more awesome logic.

No, of course not.
    I was just winding people up.
    Its true, the government have the welfare of people at heart.

Blue Lagoon actually made the best comment on here, when mentioning that Michelle Obama was growing her own vegatables for the white house.

What do you think about that?

I think its good, obviously.

King Mob wrote:
    So have you anything to support you claims other than the belief that the government is evil?

No, nothing. Government are perfect.

So no you have absolutely no evidence to suggest that HR875 is going to be used to prevent people from growing there own food?

King Mob wrote:
    So no you have absolutely no evidence to suggest that HR875 is going to be used to prevent people from growing there own food?

nothing, but the excrement pre-treatment technology does exist..

nothing, but the excrement pre-treatment technology does exist..
    You're really not getting this.

How do you know that this technology exists?

• Advertisement

See how King Mob doesn't give an answer to what he thinks of Michelle Obama growing vegetables for the white house.

See how that goes ignored?

Why don't you tell us?

Are you worried about something being uncovered?

King Mob wrote:
    You're really not getting this.

How do you know that this technology exists?

You're not really getting this, I MADE IT UP.

See how King Mob doesn't give an answer to what he thinks of Michelle Obama growing vegetables for the white house.

See how that goes ignored?

Why don't you tell us?

Are you worried about something being uncovered?

And why won't you back up any of claims?

I think the first lady can do whatever she likes with her garden. Why is it important?

King Mob wrote:
    And why won't you back up any of claims?

about the excrement pre-treatment process? are you serious?
    I already said it was a joke, thought it was obvious.

about the excrement pre-treatment process? are you serious?
    I already said it was a joke, thought it was obvious.

That or the stuff you were claiming about HR875 preventing people from growing their own food?

Just to clarify my opinion on this.

The purpose of HR875 is to protect american people from diseases.

I was completely wrong about it being a way to stop people producing their own food.

Mods, feel free to delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I see no reason to delete anything.

I am, however, considering how to react to your approach here. Your reaction to being asked about stuff is to basically say you were on a wind-up...and I don't think mods should tolerate wind-ups.

I am, however, considering how to react to your approach here. Your reaction to being asked about stuff is to basically say you were on a wind-up...and I don't think mods should tolerate wind-ups.

No, in order to avoid further confrontation, I admitted being wrong.

Now, I admit that bonkey, you are the supreme being.
    Whatever you say is the truth, I swear to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Once again, I doubt that HR875 will get through the House committee given the poor bill passage record of the primary bill sponsor Rep Rosa DeLauro, thereby rendering this whole conspiracy theory as moot. Only 3 successful enactments out of 166 bills introduced (3/166=1.8%) since 1991 is not much of a threat. It would also have to get through the US Senate and be signed into law by Obama. To reiterate:

"Rosa DeLauro has sponsored 166 bills since Jan 3, 1991, of which 156 haven't made it out of committee and 3 were successfully enacted..."

Source: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400103

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No, in order to avoid further confrontation, I admitted being wrong.

Now, I admit that bonkey, you are the supreme being.
    Whatever you say is the truth, I swear to this.

No need to be like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

For me, for anyone to suggest that this and other "food safety bills" are for the benefit of the consumers displays some serious shortcomings. Its just another example of corrupt government and big business through their lobby groups being one and the same.

The bill written by Monsanto and the like at best is to squeeze the last life out of the smaller farmers which are tiny businesses themselves which have grossly innapropriate regulations imposed so as to make their existence dysfunctional, giving control of the food supply to a mere few.

See Codex Alimentaries.

Don't know about anyone else but I would be much happier eating uncertified organic food from the local farmer than the mass produced, genetically engineered, factory-farmed, laced with chemicals crap with a certificate. Food safety? I think not.

Don't know about anyone else but I would be much happier eating uncertified organic food from the local farmer than the mass produced, genetically engineered, factory-farmed, laced with chemicals crap with a certificate. Food safety? I think not.

But why is GM bad exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

King Mob wrote: »
    But why is GM bad exactly?

Intelectual Property Laws on Seeds are a bad thing Duuuuuuuuuuuude

also playin God does not bode well with a large conservative sector of the population

Intelectual Property Laws on Seeds are a bad thing Duuuuuuuuuuuude

also playin God does not bode well with a large conservative sector of the population

Ok so the food itself isn't dangerous.

Why are Intellectual Property Laws on seeds a bad thing?

well I didnt want to lead off with the Fact that some of the Genetic modifications have led to foods becoming poisonious, there is also the issue of the unknown variable of cross polentation of GM and non GM crops leading to dangerous and poisonous hybrids after a few generations.

but first off, Why are Intellectual Property Laws on seeds a GOOD thing?

well I didnt want to lead off with the Fact that some of the Genetic modifications have led to foods becoming poisonious, there is also the issue of the unknown variable of cross polentation of GM and non GM crops leading to dangerous and poisonous hybrids after a few generations.

but first off, Why are Intellectual Property Laws on seeds a GOOD thing?

To protect the right of the people and companies who developed the crop? Just like any other product.

But I'm calling bull**** on the GM foods become poisonous.
    You're gonna have to back that up with something substantial.

toxic spuds was the one I was thinki of, but there are a fair few more instances Recorded.

I'd be afraid to hazard a guess as to how many ended up in the bin with people gettin hush money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_controversies

ya know anyone who claimed to be openminded about these things would look this up for himself, a quick wiki is not that difficult is it

toxic spuds was the one I was thinki of, but there are a fair few more instances Recorded.

I'd be afraid to hazard a guess as to how many ended up in the bin with people gettin hush money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_controversies

ya know anyone who claimed to be openminded about these things would look this up for himself, a quick wiki is not that difficult is it
    As of 2004 no adverse health effects in humans had been documented and feeding trials had not observed toxic effects

What evidence do you have that some where hushed up or are you just assuming that without anything to support it?

King Mob wrote:
    What evidence do you have that some where hushed up or are you just assuming that without anything to support it?

Yes, because corporations are honest hard working people with integrity - absolutely.

GM companies want nothing more than to improve the lives of people in 3rd world countries where there are food shortages.

They want to solve the banana problem so that the US government can feed its FEMA prisoners not just corn, but banana fritters too.

• Advertisement

Yes, because corporations are honest hard working people with integrity - absolutely.

GM companies want nothing more than to improve the lives of people in 3rd world countries where there are food shortages.

They want to solve the banana problem so that the US government can feed its FEMA prisoners not just corn, but banana fritters too.
    Again, no you have no verifiable evidence. Just an insistence that everything the government does is evil.

Advertisement