Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HR875 - Prevent self-sustainable people

• 29-03-2009 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 is a bill proposed in the US which places government restrictions on people who want to produce food.

The reality, not theory.. is that only large corporations and the government will be able to produce/distribute food.

Any individual attempting to do so for themselves or others could be "breaking the law"

What do others here think about this?

What higher purpose would this law serve?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Martyr wrote: »
    H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 is a bill proposed in the US which places government restrictions on people who want to produce food.

The reality, not theory.. is that only large corporations and the government will be able to produce/distribute food.

Any individual attempting to do so for themselves or others could be "breaking the law"

What do others here think about this?

Looks like its just to provide better standards for food safety.
    Where exactly does it prohibit producing you own food?
    Where does it say only the government and corparatins will be able to produce/distribute food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

No,it doesn't say that, of course.

But if the cost associated with producing your own food under government regulations is high, if you're to sell that food, it would cost more too.

Hard to compete with bigger corporations.

The conspiracy was that government could determine who can produce food and who can't under any national emergency ;)

No,it doesn't say that, of course.

But if the cost associated with producing your own food under government regulations is high, if you're to sell that food, it would cost more too.

Hard to compete with bigger corporations.

The conspiracy was that government could determine who can produce food and who can't under any national emergency ;)
    Wow that's a slippery slope there.

The reason the government regulations are there are to maintain a good standard of food safety. A local farmer investing a little more to reach these standards isn't a bad thing.

Where exactly in that bill was there any mention of giving the government emergency powers over food production?

Every legislation is open to abuse and this would be no exception.

Of course its intended to safeguard the publics health and would be seen as a step in right direction.

But c'mon, who is naive enough to believe the government cares what you eat?
    If they really cared, would they have been allowing GM foods to be produced?

Common sense would dictate that you can't play god with nature and its only asking for trouble when you do.

If a solitary individual wants to survive on their own in national emergency, without depending upon the government, or indeed would prefer the choice of Organic food without the high cost attached, this HR875 is just another law for the government to have you or an organic farmer arrested.

thats the theory ;)

Every legislation is open to abuse and this would be no exception.

Of course its intended to safeguard the publics health and would be seen as a step in right direction.

But c'mon, who is naive enough to believe the government cares what you eat?
    If they really cared, would they have been allowing GM foods to be produced?

Common sense would dictate that you can't play god with nature and its only asking for trouble when you do.

If a solitary individual wants to survive on their own in national emergency, without depending upon the government, or indeed would prefer the choice of Organic food without the high cost attached, this HR875 is just another law for the government to have you or an organic farmer arrested.

thats the theory ;)
    Except there is nothing in the bill that would allow you to be arrested for producing your own food.

And as for GM food. Do you eat bananas?

• Advertisement

Thats just dis-information about bananas

why wasn't this fungus around hundreds of years ago?

Thats just dis-information about bananas

why wasn't this fungus around hundreds of years ago?

Except it's true.

Modern bananas are the result of selective breeding a form of genetic engineering.

Can you provide a single negative effect from eating GM food?

King Mob wrote:
    Can you provide a single negative effect from eating GM food?

No, but what research has been done?

Its extremely arrogant for man to think he can modify the genetic structure of an animal or plant which has evolved thousands, even millions of years and that the longterm result will be positive.

What i can say is that humans have only been on this planet a short time and couldn't possibly claim to understand how the ecosystem works.

What is the cause of this fungus on bananas?
    And why haven't we seen this fungus until now?

You don't ask these questions because you think genetically modifying the banana will actually be a better solution?

No, but what research has been done?

Its extremely arrogant for man to think he can modify the genetics of an animal or plant which has evolved thousands, even millions of years and that the longterm result will be positive.

What i can say is that humans have only been on this planet a short time and couldn't possibly claim to understand how the ecosystem works.

What is the cause of this fungus on bananas?
    And why haven't we seen this fungus until now?

You don't ask these questions because you think genetically modifying the banana will actually be a better solution?

Except we have been modifying crops and animals for thousands of years through selective breeding.
    Selecting positive traits such as better output and resistance to disease and breeding out undesirable ones.
    Modern genetic engineering is the exact same, only now we know which genes do what and can select positive traits more efficiently.

So why exactly do you believe GM food may be harmful when there is nothing in the slightest to support such a claim?

And what fungus are you on about exactly?

Edit: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Science/story?id=1036562&page=1 Is this what you are talking about? The only reason this is connected to genetic engineering is that some people have suggested using crops engineered to be resistant to this fungus to continue production?
    Do you think the fungus was somehow created because of genetic engineering.

Except we have been modifying crops and animals for thousand of years through selective breeding.
    Selecting positive traits such as better output and resistance to disease and breeding out undesirable ones.
    Modern genetic engineer is the exact same, only now we know which genes do what and can select positive traits more efficiently.

:D haha..really?
    Theres a huge difference between breeding and genetic engineering..in the latter sense, its the scientist who decides on the final product, not nature.
    So why exactly do you believe GM food may be harmful when there is nothing in the slightest to support such a claim?

We'll have to wait and see, won't we.
    Because there is nothing to suggest man or the ecosystem can benefit from it either.
    And what fungus are you on about exactly?
    oh, i thought you knew..maybe you should read about it.

its called black sigatoka and if you can find out the cause of it, i'd love to know.
    I'd love to know why its only surfaced in the last few years and how GM has come to the rescue.:rolleyes:
    The only reason this is connected to genetic engineering is that some people have suggested using crops engineered to be resistant to this fungus to continue production?
    Do you think the fungus was somehow created because of genetic engineering.

i don't know, what do you think? eh? bananas grown perfectly for thousands of years, then man comes along and..well, you know the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Theres a huge difference between breeding and genetic engineering..in the latter sense, its the scientist who decides on the final product, not nature.

Because there is nothing to suggest man or the ecosystem can benefit from it either.

its called black sigatoka and if you can find out the cause of it, i'd love to know.
    I'd love to know why its only surfaced in the last few years and how GM has come to the rescue.:rolleyes:

i don't know, what do you think? eh? bananas grown perfectly for thousands of years, then man comes along and..well, you know the rest.
    ill have to look some of this stuff up 2moro,:) interesting!!

No there's no difference at all. You really don't understand how genetic engineering works at all.
    A farmer has a cow that produces more milk then the rest. he breeds this cow a lot. He takes the calves that share this trait and breeds them and so on... Till the farmer has a herd of cows that produce more milk than the one he started with.
    A scientist identifies a gene that allows fo better milk production. He modifies that gene in cow embryos. till the scientist has a herd of cows that produce more milk than the one he started with.

How is it different?

Except for crops that produce bigger yields and are more resistant to disease.
    What possible way do you believe that GM food will be dangerous?

Evolution?
    Oh and by last few years you mean the early 1900's?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sigatoka

Except that's not true at all.
    The modern Banana we all eat today can't grow by themselves. And the wild bananas we bred them from are inedible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana

King Mob wrote:
    How is it different?

Its different to me because a scientist - a man instead of nature, is playing god or mother nature..however you want to phrase it.
    Man is playing a direct role in the genetic structure of the animal or plant.

Breeding would allow nature to take care of the details.

It might not be different in your opinion, but it is to me so we'll agree to disagree on that.

Fair enough, KM :D
    King Mob wrote:
    Evolution?
    Oh and by last few years you mean the early 1900's?

Who is to say that the fungicides used didn't make the banana less resistant to disease?

Think about it...

Humans who take anti-biotics are more likely to become ill due to weakened immune system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Does it appear that HR875 might be at cross-purposes with the house garden established by Michelle Obama for the first time in White House history? Or is the bill just to ensure food safety, similar to the regs of the FDA and Dept of Ag? It would appear that the new Obama administration is advocating home grown foods?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House is getting a new garden.

First lady Michelle Obama is breaking ground Friday for a garden on the South Lawn that will provide produce for the White House kitchen. The White House says she will be joined by local elementary school students who will help with the planting and harvesting the crops later in the year.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-garden19-2008mar19,0,2187998.story?track=rss

Doubt that HR875 has much of a chance of getting through committee or passing in the US House, given the record of the bill's main sponsor:

Rosa DeLauro has sponsored 166 bills since Jan 3, 1991. of which 156 haven't made it out of committee and 3 were successfully enacted

Source: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400103

Its different to me because a scientist - a man instead of nature, is playing god or mother nature..however you want to phrase it.
    Man is playing a direct role in the genetic structure of the animal or plant.

Breeding would allow nature to take care of the details.

It might not be different in your opinion, but it is to me so we'll agree to disagree on that.

Fair enough, KM :D
    And? What ill effects come from having a direct role in the genetic structure?
    Or is this a complete irrational fear?

Who is to say that the fungicides used didn't make the banana less resistant to disease?

Think about it...

Humans who take anti-biotics are more likely to become ill due to weakened immune system.
    Because fungicides aren't anti-biotics?
    And lets say that was the cause whats your point exactly?

And just so we know where we're at.
    You have claimed that HR875 would prevent people from growing their own food, but can't back that up. You claimed that it would give them emergency powers to arrest people who do, again nothing to support that. And then you claim GM foods are dangerous but cannot support this statement except with an irrational fear of scientists.
    Sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Could you reference the items in the text of the bill which leads you to this assertion?

I ask because I've read through it and I can find nothing which would lead me to that conclusion.

Not only that, but in your second, third and fourth posts, you will go on to explain how its not reality, but is theory...which leads to the further question:

Did you change you mind about it being reality, or did you deliberately overstate your case in the original post?
    Again...could you show where in the text of the bill people providing food for themselves are covered?
    What higher purpose would be served by establishing improved guidelines regarding food safety?

Given that in recent months, there's been one food scare after another with regards to contaminated food supplies both in the US and abroad, I'm surprised that question merits asking, let alone that you think an answer is needed.

LMAO :D

sorry..but i can only laugh at these responses.

LMAO :D

sorry..but i can only laugh at these responses.
    I know it's ridiculous that anyone would ask you to support your claims with evidence.
    It's even funnier that people just don't agree with your fear even though you show a lack of understanding of the subject

Honestly KM, i can't be bothered answering you anymore.

This is a conspiracy theory forum, my post is about HR875 and the potential for its misuse on people of america in a time of national emergency.

You and bonkey on the other hand think its bollocks.. and thats fine, there is nothing else to say.

Honestly KM, i can't be bothered answering you anymore.

This is a conspiracy theory forum, my post is about HR875 and the potential for its misuse on people of america in a time of national emergency.

You and bonkey on the other hand think its bollocks.. and thats fine, its also where i stop answering.
    I believe that HR875 will be used by the government to force everyone in America to eat corn and only corn.
    Genetically modified corn that is evil for some reason.

• Advertisement

LOL :D

Honestly don't see how your argument is any different.

I believe that HR875 will be used by the government to force everyone in America to eat corn and only corn.
    Genetically modified corn that is evil for some reason.

actually, GM bananas could be used as when the GM companies remove the fungus in the lab, it will be a staple diet in every country.
    they might even remove the gene which requires sunlight to grow, so you can then grow them in your cupboard at home.

also, i heard from a very credible source that NASA have developed a non-hazardous excrement pre-treatment process which adds the recommended daily nutritional requirements, using a GM process that turns the excrement back into solid, edible healthy food.

it was originally intended for astronauts, but they think it might come in handy for the concentration camps when the banks are taken over by Obamas satanic cult.

You and bonkey on the other hand think its bollocks.. and thats fine, there is nothing else to say.

So you didn't come here to discuss your theory, then?

actually, GM bananas could be used as when the GM companies remove the fungus in the lab, it will be a staple diet in every country.
    they might even remove the gene which requires sunlight to grow, so you can then grow them in your cupboard at home.

also, i heard from a very credible source that NASA have developed a non-hazardous excrement pre-treatment process which adds the recommended daily nutritional requirements, using a GM process that turns the excrement back into solid, edible healthy food.

it was originally intended for astronauts, but they think it might come in handy for the concentration camps when the banks are taken over by Obamas satanic cult.

And can you provide any evidence to suggest this technology exists?
    And why do you believe they plan to use it in concentration camps?
    And what relevance does this have to the HR875?

bonkey wrote:
    So you didn't come here to discuss your theory, then?

yes, my theory is that when the FEMA camps are setup, only the government will be allowed to provide food, which complies to health and safety standards.
    King Mob wrote:
    And can you provide any evidence to suggest this technology exists?

NASA spokesperson said that they couldn't confirm its existence, but that it was a black project.
    Obama allocated $5 million of bailout money for further research last month.
    And why do you believe they plan to use it in concentration camps?

FEMA, not concentration..sorry.
    And what relevance does this have to the HR875?

what = what?

earlier you quoted bananas being saved by the GM industry, without even knowing what the problem was! haha :D

yes, my theory is that when the FEMA camps are setup, only the government will be allowed to provide food, which complies to health and safety standards.
    And where exactly in the bill is that?

NASA spokesperson said that they couldn't confirm its existence, but that it was a black project.
    Obama allocated $5 million of bailout money for further research last month.
    Then how do you know it exists? And where exactly are you getting that figure? How do you know it's going into the research of this technology if its a black project?

FEMA, not concentration..sorry.
    And how do you know that they want to use this technology in these camps?

what = what?

earlier you quoted bananas being saved by the GM industry, without even knowing what the problem was! haha :D
    No I quoted bananas as an example of a common crop that has been modified by humans.

Alot of claims here and still no evidence.

When i said "higher purpose" of the bill, i was simply joking..

I've no idea what the purpose of the bill is, but its certainly not to ensure the health and safety of people..who is naive enough to believe that?

We have alcohol, tabacco, drug problems mainly stemming from the FDA, and you all think the government cares what you put in your mouth? LOL :D

What sane person would think the government cares about its populations health?

Look at the costs of healthcare in america..eh? how about making it free if the government really give a damn.

Stop spending trillions of dollars on wars, spend it on health instead.... :P

When i said "higher purpose" of the bill, i was simply joking..

I've no idea what the purpose of the bill is, but its certainly not to ensure the health and safety of people..who is naive enough to believe that?

We have alcohol, tabacco, drug problems mainly stemming from the FDA, and you all think the government cares what you put in your mouth? LOL :D

What sane person would think the government cares about its populations health?
    Wow that's a lot of back tracking there.

If the government where to introduce registration to ban cigarette and alcohol people would still cry conspiracy.

But is that your only supporting evidence? The government is evil?

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote:
    And how do you know that they want to use this technology in these camps?

Alright, I made it up, thought you would have seen the funny side of it.

OK, I give in King Mob, the world is perfect and government are nice people who want nothing but the best for the people.

Yes, we're ruled by gentle men who are worried about the quality of our food consumed.

Alright, I made it up, thought you would have seen the funny side of it.

OK, I give in King Mob, the world is perfect and government are nice people who want nothing but the best for the people.

Yes, we're ruled by gentle men who are worried about the quality of our food consumed.

Yea that exactly what I'm arguing.

The reason you can't provide a scrap of evidence to support your position is obviously because the governments are perfect.:rolleyes:

That's some awesome logic there.

King Mob wrote:
    Wow that's a lot of back tracking there.

If the government where to introduce registration to ban cigarette and alcohol people would still cry conspiracy.

But is that your only supporting evidence? The government is evil?

King Mob, the government really care about people, I know this for a fact because even a starving man on the street can have a warm meal and a bed to sleep on at the end of the day.

Government have always cared for welfare of people, this is very true.

King Mob wrote:
    Yea that exactly what I'm arguing.

I know, and I was wrong..I'm sorry but it was only meant as a joke.
    King Mob wrote:
    The reason you can't provide a scrap of evidence to support your position is obviously because the governments are perfect.

Yes, I know they are, why would they ever hurt people that voted for them?
    That's some awesome logic there.

you said it, boss.

King Mob, the government really care about people, I know this for a fact because even a starving man on the street can have a warm meal and a bed to sleep on at the end of the day.

Government have always cared for welfare of people, this is very true.
    Therefore any government action that does attempt to protect people's health is obviously an elaborate conspiracy?
    Yet more awesome logic.

I know, and I was wrong..I'm sorry but it was only meant as a joke.

Yes, I know they are, why would they ever hurt people that voted for them?

you said it, boss.
    So have you anything to support you claims other than the belief that the government is evil?

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote:
    Therefore any government action that does attempt to protect people's health is obviously an elaborate conspiracy?
    Yet more awesome logic.

No, of course not.
    I was just winding people up.
    Its true, the government have the welfare of people at heart.

Blue Lagoon actually made the best comment on here, when mentioning that Michelle Obama was growing her own vegatables for the white house.

What do you think about that?

I think its good, obviously.

King Mob wrote:
    So have you anything to support you claims other than the belief that the government is evil?

No, nothing. Government are perfect.

So no you have absolutely no evidence to suggest that HR875 is going to be used to prevent people from growing there own food?

King Mob wrote:
    So no you have absolutely no evidence to suggest that HR875 is going to be used to prevent people from growing there own food?

nothing, but the excrement pre-treatment technology does exist..

nothing, but the excrement pre-treatment technology does exist..
    You're really not getting this.

How do you know that this technology exists?

• Advertisement

See how King Mob doesn't give an answer to what he thinks of Michelle Obama growing vegetables for the white house.

See how that goes ignored?

Why don't you tell us?

Are you worried about something being uncovered?

King Mob wrote:
    You're really not getting this.

How do you know that this technology exists?

You're not really getting this, I MADE IT UP.

See how King Mob doesn't give an answer to what he thinks of Michelle Obama growing vegetables for the white house.

See how that goes ignored?

Why don't you tell us?

Are you worried about something being uncovered?

And why won't you back up any of claims?

I think the first lady can do whatever she likes with her garden. Why is it important?

King Mob wrote:
    And why won't you back up any of claims?

about the excrement pre-treatment process? are you serious?
    I already said it was a joke, thought it was obvious.

about the excrement pre-treatment process? are you serious?
    I already said it was a joke, thought it was obvious.

That or the stuff you were claiming about HR875 preventing people from growing their own food?

Just to clarify my opinion on this.

The purpose of HR875 is to protect american people from diseases.

I was completely wrong about it being a way to stop people producing their own food.

Mods, feel free to delete.

I see no reason to delete anything.

I am, however, considering how to react to your approach here. Your reaction to being asked about stuff is to basically say you were on a wind-up...and I don't think mods should tolerate wind-ups.

I am, however, considering how to react to your approach here. Your reaction to being asked about stuff is to basically say you were on a wind-up...and I don't think mods should tolerate wind-ups.

No, in order to avoid further confrontation, I admitted being wrong.

Now, I admit that bonkey, you are the supreme being.
    Whatever you say is the truth, I swear to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Once again, I doubt that HR875 will get through the House committee given the poor bill passage record of the primary bill sponsor Rep Rosa DeLauro, thereby rendering this whole conspiracy theory as moot. Only 3 successful enactments out of 166 bills introduced (3/166=1.8%) since 1991 is not much of a threat. It would also have to get through the US Senate and be signed into law by Obama. To reiterate:

"Rosa DeLauro has sponsored 166 bills since Jan 3, 1991, of which 156 haven't made it out of committee and 3 were successfully enacted..."

Source: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400103

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No, in order to avoid further confrontation, I admitted being wrong.

Now, I admit that bonkey, you are the supreme being.
    Whatever you say is the truth, I swear to this.

No need to be like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement