Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference in prices of Ryanair taxes and charges????

Options
  • 18-06-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a breakdown of Ryanair Taxes etc.
    Reason I ask is I am off to London (Gatwick) in August and I have paid 3 times as much as my sistser who is travelling with Ryanair to London (Stansted) in the same week. Both are for 2 adults.

GOING OUT
    From Dublin(DUB) to Gatwick South Term Uk(LGW)
    Fri, 10Aug07 Flight FR112 Depart DUB at 08:00 and arrive LGW at 09:30

COMING BACK
    From Gatwick South Term Uk(LGW) to Dublin(DUB)
    Sat, 11Aug07 Flight FR119 Depart LGW at 21:15 and arrive DUB at 22:35

PAYMENT DETAILS
    ********19.96 EUR Adult
    *******124.92 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    ********23.16 EUR Aviation / WCHR Levy
    *********0.00 EUR Car Rental
    *********0.00 EUR Insurance
    *******168.04 EUR Total Paid

GOING OUT
    From Dublin(DUB) to London Stansted(STN)
    Tue, 07Aug07 Flight FR206 Depart DUB at 08:10 and arrive STN at 09:25

COMING BACK From London Stansted(STN) to Dublin(DUB)
    Wed, 08Aug07 Flight FR293 Depart STN at 19:35 and arrive DUB at 20:50

PAYMENT DETAILS
    *********0.04 EUR Adult
    ********51.96 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    *********0.00 EUR Aviation / WCHR Levy
    ********52.00 EUR Total Paid

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Higher charges at Gatwick undoubtedly account for some of the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

Yeah would they account for a 150% increase though?
    And whats up with me paying a wheelchair levvy but none for my sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I'd definitely say you're paying for the "luxury" of flying into Gatwick. Of course, your flight is also €20 dearer from the start.

I'd love to see a proper breakdown of the taxes charged by the various airports. Are these available, or is a closely guarded secret/random number generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    I'd love to see a proper breakdown of the taxes charged by the various airports. Are these available, or is a closely guarded secret/random number generator?
    I think they are available, but the flight operator may be on a discount scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

Even with the higher taxes, why am I paying wheelchair levy and she's not.
    I tried calling Ryanair earlier but gave up after 40 minutes on hold......I'm guessing they're not pumping all their profits into their call centre :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It also depends on what offers RA have on at the time of booking, I would say that your sister booked under one of their special offers that have capped total fares.

For instance at the moment they have an offer of €10 one way fares, If you look at dates within the offer the "charges" for a single STN - DUB flight is €9.99 where the next day where the offer is not applicable the "charges" are €35.97

When all things are equal there is not a big difference between the charges for each of the London airports but they generally don't have special offers for Gatwick.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Gatwick probably doesn't absorb the cost of providing wheelchair service, where as STN probably does in order to attract more business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've noticed this several times before on the Ryanair website. If you book the 'free' (i.e. 1c each way) fares, the taxes and charges tend to be less (like half) than when choosing a higher fare (even if that fare is only 99c); there is also no wheelchair levy. This happens in the absence of specific 'capped at 10€' promotions as well. I suppose it just goes to show how much of the 'taxes and charges' are actually fares.

Re airports and wheelchairs - Stansted definitely does not pay for the wheechair service. In fact, it was a court case taken by a Ryanair passenger at Stansted that led to the introduction of the levy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I just flew to Gatwick with my girlfriend, total cost for the two of us was €64.

I would guess the wheelchair levy was accidently selected, there are possibly other things like priority boarding and travel insurance in there too. Ryanair "gives" you these things by default and you have to remove them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

it is my understanding that whatever about priority boarding and insurance, you cannot de-select the wheelchair levy.

Calina wrote:
    it is my understanding that whatever about priority boarding and insurance, you cannot de-select the wheelchair levy.

I didn't pay the wheelchair levy, this was for two people flying to Gatwick.

PAYMENT DETAILS
    *********0.04 EUR Adult
    ********63.96 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    ********64.00 EUR Total Paid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

paulm17781 wrote:
    I didn't pay the wheelchair levy, this was for two people flying to Gatwick.

PAYMENT DETAILS
    *********0.04 EUR Adult
    ********63.96 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    ********64.00 EUR Total Paid

As explained by Padraig Mor above, some Ryanair fares have taxes and charges capped when there are promotions on.

As explained by Padraig Mor above, some Ryanair fares have taxes and charges capped when there are promotions on.

This was outside of a promotion (that I could see) it was just 1c flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He covered that bit as well.
    I've noticed this several times before on the Ryanair website. If you book the 'free' (i.e. 1c each way) fares, the taxes and charges tend to be less (like half) than when choosing a higher fare (even if that fare is only 99c); there is also no wheelchair levy. This happens in the absence of specific 'capped at 10€' promotions as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

easy solution is to fly BMI or Aer Lingus into Heathrow.

I always try and avoid Ryanair, they are not much cheaper than the two above yet you end up being treated like cattle and having to walk half way there :eek:

Advertisement