Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soldiers under william of orange

Options
  • 20-03-2012 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

some people of the surname of robinett married into the darassus family. they were offices in williams army, where are the records of the grunts under him below quartermasters ??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

wjrobin64 wrote: »
    some people of the surname of robinett married into the darassus family. they were offices in williams army, where are the records of the grunts under him below quartermasters ??

What exactly is your query. Your post is unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If your query is "where are the surviving army service records from the time of William of Orange" the answer is "in the National Archives of the UK".

But there isn't a lot. In general the names of enlisted men are not recorded at all; just the total numbers serving in a regiment. Regiments were under the command of a colonel; he drew money for all expenses - pay, rations, equipment, the lot - and was subject to minimal oversight in how he spent it. The authorities in London only recorded how many men were - or should be - in the regiment; they didn't care who those men were. The regiment might have kept records of who had enlisted, or it might not. Most of those that survive have found their way to the National Archives, but that's not very many.

You have a slightly better chance if you are looking for a commissioned officer, since a commission must have issued at one point from the War Office in London. But I don't think many records of those survive either.

If you know the regiment in which your subject served, and if you can trace the modern successor to that regiment, they may be able to tell you at regimental HQ what records survive and whether any are to be found outside the National Archives. But, frankly, I wouldn't be wildly optimistic.

And that's if your subject served in an English or Scottish regiment. If he served in an Irish regiment - i.e. one funded out of taxes raised in Ireland - then any records relating to him which might have survived were almost certainly lost in the burning of the Four Courts in 1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ha, I thought it was a reference to his alleged bi-sexuality.

Am I imagining it but werent some of the payroll records for either williams or james army found. I seem to remember something concerning Aughrim ?

Try the links here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74807964&postcount=56

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wjrobin64

What exactly is your query. Your post is unclear.

I have robinett's as married into the darassus family. The darassus family were officers in the army of william of orange.

were there any robinett's in those regiments as well ?

I understand that the lower ranks had little of no records. but do they have traces left by pension lands for service ??

were there any robinett's in those regiments as well ?

I understand that the lower ranks had little of no records. but do they have traces left by pension lands for service ??

The army account books of W of O were found in 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8323461.stm

• Advertisement

thanks this gives me hopes of my questions getting answered. Is there any plans of making a summary of these pages ??

thanks very much !!

my ties are thru elias and john darassus both officers of that regiment. The robinett's married into this famil;y on Dublin.

thanks this gives me hopes of my questions getting answered. Is there any plans of making a summary of these pages ??

thanks very much !!

my ties are thru elias and john darassus both officers of that regiment. The robinett's married into this famil;y on Dublin.

I imagine they have a website that you can make enquiries on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The robinett's married into this famil;y on Dublin.

Why is the name Robinett familiar to me. ?

I have come accross it before and can't think why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

CDfm wrote: »
    Why is the name Robinett familiar to me. ?

I have come accross it before and can't think why.

ADA on Law & Order ?

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    ADA on Law & Order ?

Could be :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

CDfm wrote: »
    Ha, I thought it was a reference to his alleged bi-sexuality.
    Snap :)

BTW, I don't think he was even bi, he was gay full stop AFAIK. No kids with the wife or relationship of any kind from what I remember.

BTW, I don't think he was even bi, he was gay full stop AFAIK. No kids with the wife or relationship of any kind from what I remember.

And he won.

I had some fun with that topic once.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056206669

looking for a list of soldiers in the regiments that fought in the battle of the boyne

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

William and Mary did have one pregancy, but it ended in miscarriage. I don't think there's any suggestion that the child wasn't William's. Mary never conceived again, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the marriage was sexless; she was ill the year after her miscarriage, and the combination of the two events may have rendered her infertile.

In any event, a near-sexless marriage wouldn't, in itself, point to William being homosexual. The marriage was entered into for dynastic reasons. William had at least one acknolwledged mistress, Elizabeth Villiers, who was a lady-in-waiting to his wife.

Having said that, allegations about William having homosexual relationships did circulate widely during his life, and the names of two friends who accompanied him from the Netherlands to England, Hans Bentinck and Arnold van Keppel, were often mentioned in this regard. At this remove we can't say conclusively whether there was any truth to the allegations of a homosexual relationship; they're certainly plausible, but William had plenty of enemies who would have been happy to circulate these stories whether they were true or not.

Advertisement