Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If learning to drive better, with or without an instructor?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I got my learner's permit last summer and since then I have been doing weekly lessons.

Gradually I'm getting a lot better, but still have a few problems.

Earlier today I went out with my Father. He said I had no problem on open road but was still having trouble with the clutch when I stop at the lights.

He then brought me down an industrial estate which was deserted on a Sunday and practiced the clutch up and down the road.

He's willing to give me more training during the week.

I feel a lot better and more comfortable with the instructor, but some people are suspecting that he might be more interested in delaying the progress to make more money, although he states that I could take the test when ever I felt like it.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Learning to drive possibly , learning to pass the test you will need an instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Start getting pre-test lessons if you think you are ready to sit the test. The thing about the clutch you have to learn to do it yourself and not coast and so on. Your instructor/father can tell you what to do and how to sort it out but you have to motivate yourself to take note of it and correct it. Takes practise.

Driving everyday can really help your progress and make you progress further wit h both your instructor and your dad.

You probably have learnt to drive at this stage but that's only the basics or the half of it to be honest, learning to drive once you have done that you can move on to prepare to pass the test which is a totally new level all together. Every fault you get you can be marked down very easily without proper preparation. Learning to drive is one thing but passing the test is another. A certain standard needs to be reached without little room for error.

Not enough observation, progress, hazards and Mirrors, reversing often are the usual culprits for failure of the test. Watch out if you stall or are coasting you can be marked down for it if doing so more than once. It come under not using vehicle controls/pedals properly.

Take note of the marking scheme when you are doing your pre-tests. The simplest things can cost you a fail. Not making disastrous or hazardous mistakes will lessen the chance of failure. Take note of the grading system though grade 3's instant fail (dangerous/red), the number of grade 2's (major/blue) determine if you pass or fail, grade 1's (minor/green) don't affect the test. Sample of the layout of how the test is marked is in the rules of the road. The marking's are set out in the pdf files I have linked here. Good luck.

http://rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

Advertisement