Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best half marathon runners

Options
  • 19-04-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am signed up to do my first half marathon in cork in June and need some advice in the best runners to buy. I did a gait analysis yesterday which said I could use a neutral or structured runner. I am landing a little on the inside so arch support might be best, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If you already got gait analysis done, why are you asking for additional advice from some unknown weirdos on the internet? Go with the professional advice you have received already!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Way to welcome a new poster TFB !!!
    ( He's really soft underneath that hard exterior Ginger84 ! )
    Did the person who analysed your gait give you any advice on runner types?
    Some unscrupulous shop assistants do try and peddle the most expensive types to first time runners. I think you'll find that everyone has their own preference when it comes to types of runners we wear, but if you are looking for a much tried and tested neutral runner that very forgiving you can't go far wrong with Nike Pegasus!
    Nike keep updating this as its one of their best sellers, if you want to save a few euro then go for a pair of 29's instead of the version 30's but there's value to be had if you look around.
    As I said , its all relative and I'm sure others could give you advice on different types to try.
    ( If they're not too scared ;) )

Mr.W

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm using Brooks Ghost at the moment and find them quite good and very comfortable.

Best advice though is to go to a good running shop and try on a few pairs, and see which feels best for you.

Where do you live and where did you get the gait analysis done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I wasn't being scary. Just how sensitive are you guys all of a sudden?:confused:

Standard advice around here is to get gait analysis done and buy shoes accordingly. The OP already got that done, now just buy some.

The single most important thing is that they should feel comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There's no such thing as the ideal shoe for a half marathon, only the ideal shoe for you. If you are relatively new to running (or new to longer distances) then something with a bit of cushioning will serve you well (leave the minimalist shoes and racing flats until some time later, when you have more miles in the legs). As the grumpy one suggested, follow the recommendation of whoever did the gait analysis (where was this done?) and buy accordingly. Best to buy shoes from a proper running shop (which if you're based in Cork, would probably be John Buckley Sports).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ginger84

Thanks Adiran, got it done in Mahers Sports in Cork. Haven't heard of those brooks ones, must keep an eye out thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Strange they should advise you can use either a structured or neutral shoe.
    What have you used before and have you had any issues with your current shoe?If not go with the same type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

+1 on the Nike Pegasus. They are fantastically cushioned and comfortable...an ideal shoe for starting off in my opinion.

Advertisement