Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Serious runner' gear

Options
  • 09-04-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Was reading this:
    Although 7 inch shorts have been a recent stylistic phenomenon for many runners, split shorts have been the choice of runners for decades. It’s a time honored tradition and a style that shouldn’t go anywhere.

Which got me thinking, is there a cross over point in running where you transition to being 'serious', become part of the tribe, and start wearing short/split shorts, singlets, tights in winter, etc.?

In cycling (my previous background), the point of no return is leg-shaving (which running elites appear to share), but there are earlier steps, like transitioning from baggy shorts to lycra (and many rules about what's acceptable to wear when racing).

Is there an equivalent set of unwritten rules in running?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't think so to be honest,

Shorts and either a tec t-shirt or singlet are the choice and you can be running 70+ miles a week wearing this stuff or just doing 20miles a week. Seems to be all a preference really, what works for people and what they feel comfortable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I reckon as your personal investment (commitment) to the sport goes up, you care less and less about how you look and what you are wearing and move in the direction of more practical attire. Things like running tights, split shorts, singlets all serve a very specific purpose. Have never heard of elite male runners shaving their legs and can't see any logic behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Runners tend to care a lot less about gear than tria participants of other sports.

The closest you get to "serious runner" gear is probably a singlet, which tends to be worn by faster runners. There is nothing to stop anyone from wearing one, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't think it has anything to do with elitism, but more about safety and comfort.

I find jogging in lycra is a lot more comfy and helps with chaffing which is horrible. Wearing technical shirts also helps tons with sweating and if you can, get yourself a super light rain jacket that fits into a small pouch. That's handy.

Runners are the most important as this will help with ankle, knee, hip and back pain. It will also help with your arches and blisters.

People run without any gear and they are fine. I used to, but found it was much more enjoyable running with gear that suits me and is comfortable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Interesting. My question was really about running culture, and the line that people cross over when they become committed to becoming fast(er), which is visible from their attire.

Overall, it seems less of a thing in running, than say cycling. (I know nothing about triathlon). In a cycle race, someone showing up with hairy legs and a wonky helmet would be given a wide berth because in cycling your safety in a bunch is highly dependent on those around you knowing how to handle themselves. Snobbery is also a factor.

On elites males shaving their legs, it seems to be reasonably common based on a quick Google and on pictures like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

I think the closest analogy to shaving your legs in running is the singlet and arm warmer combo.

Nothing says "2% body fat and aiming for a sub 2.30 marathon" like arm warmers - they are the opposite of a cotton t-shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

leg shaving is the norm with any elites(guess it depends what you define as elite)

Regards clothing eg split shorts and tights it becomes normal when you run with other runners,you actually feel odd if you wear a pair of square shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

At this time of year it's probably hard to tell the speed people will run from their clothes (although singlets are a clue.) But in a short-ish race in December snows and fog, the serious runners will be the ones who are basically naked but for skimpy shorts, singlets, and maybe arm warmers.* The back-of-packers will be the runners where only their faces are visible. The less overdressed back-of-pack runners will be age-group front-of-packers. A 35-year-old woman wearing a long sleeved technical T-shirt is highly likely to be overtaken by a 75-year old man in a singlet.

leg shaving is the norm with any elites(guess it depends what you define as elite)
    Any suggestions why, other than vanity?

Any suggestions why, other than vanity?

If you're getting frequent massages I can see the appeal.

My physio was saying there's a marginally higher chance of follicle infection on hairy legs.

• Advertisement

munkee wrote: »

My physio was saying there's a marginally higher chance of follicle infection on hairy legs.
    Ahh.. good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

surprised no-one has mentioned Eamonn Coughlan yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

The point of no return for a real runner is the singlet, or vesht.

To be a real runner, the vest must be worn for all races, including cross-country in Donegal in November. A t-shirt or base layer is never worn under the vest. The preferred vest is the standard club issue but old versions by extinct clothing companies are encouraged. One can progress to split shorts (in males) but normally no other accessories.

Personally I have not reached that exalted level of a "real runner".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Depends on the standard of massage to be honest though hairy legs can asborb the cream/ oil to the point where this can occur if over excessive effluerage techniques are used on same point (effectively friction burn)

Though follicilitis is not fun (got it about 3 weeks ago) I can now see the appeal of it and would consider it a bit more (though not there just yet)

I can't believe that no one has hit the nail on the head with regards the true definition of attire for the serious runner.

You know you have hit the big time when summer comes and all your track sessions are done topless forgetting the fact you are still in Ireland :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dna_leri wrote: »
    The point of no return for a real runner is the singlet, or vesht.

To be a real runner, the vest must be worn for all races, including cross-country in Donegal in November. A t-shirt or base layer is never worn under the vest. The preferred vest is the standard club issue but old versions by extinct clothing companies are encouraged. One can progress to split shorts (in males) but normally no other accessories.

Personally I have not reached that exalted level of a "real runner".

Neither have I,
    I wore a singlet for Conn Ultra but I had another layer underneath it,

Maybe some day..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

tiny shorts. The guy who won the Ras UCD 5k had the tiniest shorts on. I know this because on an out and back part of the course, he was coming back and I passed him on my way out and from a fair distance away I could see his lad, hanging out of the tiny shorts and swinging like only a free willy can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm only a beginner in my last week of C25k, with my pair of Nikes, tracksuit bottoms and a grey cotton t-shirt. I have wondered if I will ever reach the heights of going shopping for serious running gear and, if so, at what point the initial thoughts will start to appear.

I'll report back. In a long time. Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I bought a pair of 5 inch shorts, they are really short, bit of a split on the sides too. I normally always wear 7in ones.

Met the lads for a run one evening with them on, "Oh My", was the reaction.

They chaffed me badly anyways, so I haven't worn the Oh My Shorts since, purely cause of the chafing of course.

I'm only a beginner in my last week of C25k... have wondered if I will ever reach the heights of going shopping for serious running gear ...

I'm a firm believer in statements of intent.

So I'll be dragging myself down to sub 30 5k glory looking something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

In a cycle race, someone showing up with hairy legs .....would be given a wide berth because in cycling your safety in a bunch is highly dependent on those around you knowing how to handle themselves.

I would not equate hairy legs in cycling with inexperience.

I've seen lethal riders with their shaven & oiled legs and the best of the best equipment and helmets fastened correctly.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I would not equate hairy legs in cycling with inexperience.

I've seen lethal riders with their shaven & oiled legs and the best of the best equipment and helmets fastened correctly.

As a general rule, it still holds. Most riders who go the route of leg-shaving are into racing, and should have some notion of how to handle themselves in a bunch.

Of course there are vastly experienced cyclists who tour, do audaxes (300k + events) and who will have hairy legs. I was specifically talking about it in terms of racing.

Anyway, entirely OT. This thread is about running culture. :pac:

ecoli wrote: »
    You know you have hit the big time when summer comes and all your track sessions are done topless forgetting the fact you are still in Ireland :D
    Eh... *cough*. Half of my sessions these days are topless (a la today). Does this mean I'm now big time? (or big eejit?).
    I was going to shave my torso, but more for the boy-band manscaped look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Eh... *cough*. Half of my sessions these days are topless (a la today). Does this mean I'm now big time? (or big eejit?).

This the look you're going for KC? :D

303368.jpg

Saucony so obviously and pathetically have the hots for Anton:

krupicka-anton-1.jpg

AKW wrote: »
    This the look you're going for KC? :D
    Bloody hippy. The rest is about right though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭event

Jaysus I wear a singlet for all races and long runs, but there's always a compression vest underneath. I hope Im not considered an elite runner or anything, Im far from that

event wrote: »
    Jaysus I wear a singlet for all races and long runs, but there's always a compression vest underneath. I hope Im not considered an elite runner or anything, Im far from that

You are safe, the compression top keeps you on the jogger side of elite.

dna_leri wrote: »
    You are safe, the compression top keeps you on the jogger side of elite.

damn I've been downgraded to a jogger now? Kind of considered myself a runner :P

Cabaal wrote: »
    damn I've been downgraded to a jogger now? Kind of considered myself a runner :P

Don't despair. AFAIK the continuum is Jogger>Runner>Club Runner>Elite

The cross-over point to "real (or serious) runner" is somewhere in the middle of the "Club Runner" section. So you may still be a runner but the jogger v's runner is a whole other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'd go topless except for the bouncing moobs, the muffin top and the hair. Apart from that, I'd be topless in a shot. With short shorts. And probably some kind of headband. Serious dick runner.

Advertisement