Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil finish for stock?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

It's either spending loads of money to get it done properly or do cheap job like I did turns out ****e the guy did it for me used boiled linseed turpentine mix just got it back so I'll leave it for while the stock I want done has cci finish I did myself few years back does anyone have any suggestions for best oil finish that can be self done the wood is a very nice well figured walnut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Never had much of a problem using beeswax and elbow grease so long as it was done regularly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Linseed oil and bees wax is the ticket. Takes a while to do it, but its one of my favorite finishes.
    When finished and the rifle is being used just rub it down at the end of each session.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

landyman wrote: »
    It's either spending loads of money to get it done properly or do cheap job like I did turns out ****e the guy did it for me used boiled linseed turpentine mix just got it back so I'll leave it for while the stock I want done has cci finish I did myself few years back does anyone have any suggestions for best oil finish that can be self done the wood is a very nice well figured walnut

I used Birchwood Casey Tru-oil stock finish kit. It was a good bit of work, had to strip the existing, sand with various grains over a few days, then start applying finish followed by the gloss.

Was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

landyman wrote: »
    It's either spending loads of money to get it done properly or do cheap job like I did turns out ****e

:confused:

This is not rocket science. If you have the patience to sand and discipline to not destroy checkering, there should not be much of a problem.

Linseed oil, turpentine, buthcers wax, beeswax et al are grand. Whether the stock looks good or not is mostly in the prep work. You may want to buy a checkering kit, however, that can be tricky to learn at first and you will want to use the same tool as the original engraver.

There are some stains/oils that you can purchase at gun stores that will have hardeners in the mix to toughen up the stock.

Advertisement