Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a new watch

Options
  • 09-04-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new watch as my Timex Run Trainer (v1) is just about kicking the bucket.
    It now fails to get a satellite every 2nd time, requires a full battery drain & recharge to get it back working again.

So it looks like I now need to invest in a new watch. I'm a runner, don't dabble in any triathlon pursuits or anything like that, though I have done a couple of multi-sport races for fun too - but to be honest, I'd just lap it on the watch to get splits.

In the current reckoning are:-

Garmin 220
    Garmin 620
    Polar RCX3
    Polar RC3
    Suunto Ambit 2R
    Timex Run Trainer 2.0
    TomTom Runner Cardio

Anyone got any personal experience of any of the above watches and feedback on how they find them?

Note: I do like to be a bit different to the norm, so willing to try out something different if it's got good recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Presume you've seen DC Rainmaker's product comparison calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

munkee wrote: »
    Presume you've seen DC Rainmaker's product comparison calculator?

Thanks - I had seen it before, gonna check it out in detail tonight for the watches I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

In a similar boat to yourself, interested to hear what you go with in the end. Am leaning towards Suunto.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

I really liked new stats from Garmin - running dynamics. It gives you cadence, ground contact time and vertical oscillation. Not sure how useful is last one, but cadence is quite useful and before that you should buy separate footpad to have this stats.
    This feature available in FR 620 and fēnix 2.

WiFi is a real timesaver. Over the Air data transfer is kinda must have for me now. Fenix 2 doesn't have WiFi and it nearly stopped me from buying it but then I discovered that I can upload workout results from my iPhone via BT. This is less handy, but kinda ok for me.

Thanks OgreSwamp.

While I like the idea of some of the new features on the 620, am a little put-off by the multiple bad reports.
    Liking the Suunto with cadence derived from the watch, though am also tempted by the TomTom with its integrated HRM and no need for a strap.

Will have to weigh up the options - anyone else got any feedback on any of the above or alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Thanks OgreSwamp.

While I like the idea of some of the new features on the 620, am a little put-off by the multiple bad reports.
    Liking the Suunto with cadence derived from the watch, though am also tempted by the TomTom with its integrated HRM and no need for a strap.

Will have to weigh up the options - anyone else got any feedback on any of the above or alternatives?

I know it's only been 10 days but just seeing this post now.
    Like yourself im torn between the 620 and the tomtom that Ive just seen thanks to this post. Looks amazing.

OP what's the latest? Did you take the plunge with either?

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I know it's only been 10 days but just seeing this post now.
    Like yourself im torn between the 620 and the tomtom that Ive just seen thanks to this post. Looks amazing.

OP what's the latest? Did you take the plunge with either?

Decided on the Suunto Ambit 2R, but waiting on the good folks in AK Galway to get it in stock and keep my spending local.

That way there's a happy shopkeeper and a happy customer (should any issues arise). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Decided on the Suunto Ambit 2R, but waiting on the good folks in AK Galway to get it in stock and keep my spending local.

That way there's a happy shopkeeper and a happy customer (should any issues arise). ;)

Thanks for the reply, what made you go with that over the Garmin or TomTom

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, what made you go with that over the Garmin or TomTom

TomTom looks like its not available until May at the earliest, is more expensive and is not available locally from what I see.

Garmin 620 has more features I would like (but some require the new Garmin HRM), but the reviews are crap and it is the most expensive.

Suunto suggested by AK, looked at the reviews and it fits my needs, uses the existing HRM that I have (not that I use it much currently), and comes in at the cheapest price.

Advertisement