Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blog post / Tutorial ideas

Options
  • 26-08-2013 5:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A thread to post, suggest, comment and discuss blog post, tutorial, screen-cast etc ideas.

So far I'm considering:
    • Front-end performance testing
    • Create your own Wordpress boilerplate/starter theme
    • My setup, toolbox, and workflow for back-end-development (PHP)
    • My setup, toolbox, and workflow for front-end-development
    • Modernizr - What is it and how do I use it? - A guide for web design/dev students or maybe junior web devs
    • Introduction tutorial for ember.js
    • Tips for college freelancers
    • How to project manage, approach pricing, get paid, and protect yourself (and your client). This would be aimed at computer science & design students who freelance on the side.
    • How you can get the most from your interns, and how they can get the most from you.
    • Lead generation for freelancers
    • Get Sassy with .scss - An introduction, overview, and some examples/exercises to get you up and running with Sass. Comment
    • Pricing strategy for design/web shops & freelancers

Well folks, what are you guys considering?

Any suggestions?

http://helpmewrite.co/ is pretty handy for coming up with (or refining) ideas and worth checking out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

KonFusion wrote: »
    • Front-end performance testing

• My setup, toolbox, and workflow for front-end-development

• Tips for college freelancers

• How to project manage, approach pricing, get paid, and protect yourself (and your client). This would be aimed at computer science & design students who freelance on the side.

• Get Sassy with .scss - An introduction, overview, and some examples/exercises to get you up and running with Sass.

The above would interest me most.

And the following would also be interesting (well at least to me):
    • OOCSS
    • Yeoman / Grunt workflow
    • Using the command line for development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Getting setup with Apache, PHP 5.4 and MYSQL on OS X including Dropbox syncing (databases included) :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

miralize wrote: »
    Getting setup with Apache, PHP 5.4 and MYSQL on OS X including Dropbox syncing (databases included) :)

On OSX? No idea. On a nix server, no problem! (Actually it's prob not all that different).

Maybe there's also a blog post/discussion in there on building local vs building online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

KonFusion wrote: »
    On OSX? No idea. On a nix server, no problem! (Actually it's prob not all that different).

Maybe there's also a blog post/discussion in there on building local vs building online :)

No discussion nessecary, build locally until you cant anymore ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

miralize wrote: »
    No discussion nessecary, build locally until you cant anymore ;)

No way! Can't stand building locally. Online ftw :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I read a lot of blogs and am interested in web design. Some of the topics suggested above are quite technical, which is fine, but I'd love to read some quality Irish blogs about

- freelancing
    - tips for students
    - Getting the most out of Wordpress
    - Building sites for others using Wordpress
    - A comparison of the various CMS systems
    - Adobe tutorials (like PSDTuts)
    - Lead generation
    - How to find and pitch to clients
    - A blog about web design as a career

Perhaps we can exchange links?I do love a bit of SEO.

Advertisement