Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermoy Rifle club

Options
  • 16-06-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey Im looking to join a Rifle club. I read great stuff about fermoy( Fermoy is the closest btw). I have never held or fired a .22 before.

Would the lack of experiace be an issue? bare in mind im 22 and aware of danger involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hey Im looking to join a Rifle club. I read great stuff about fermoy( Fermoy is the closest btw). I have never held or fired a .22 before.

Would the lack of experiace be an issue? bare in mind im 22 and aware of danger involved.

I'm not a member of Fermoy so I can't talk for them but I've never heard of a range refusing somebody because of lack of experience. The club I'm a member of (Harbour House) runs safety courses for newbies and I suspect that most other clubs do something similar.

If you join a club, they will teach you safe gun handling skills and other such stuff that you need to know to enjoy the sport safely.

My advice, make contact with Fermoy, talk to the guys and see what the story is. It's a great sport to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Hey,

Would I be better of buying a rifle from a club member or a from a shop. I assume any .22 Lr would suite?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hey,

Would I be better of buying a rifle from a club member or a from a shop. I assume any .22 Lr would suite?

Regards,

Actually no, any .22 wouldn't suit. It all depends on the type of shooting that you want to do.

Don't worry about what type of rifle to buy yet. You'll have to see what kind of shooting you want to do before you can buy a rifle to suit.

Arrange with the club to go to the range to see the different types of shooting. All shooting isn't the same, there's loads of different types. All .22's aren't the same. The two main ones are bolt action and semi automatic.

Gallery rifle shooting involves using a semi automatic rifle to shoot at targets at varying distances, from 10m out to 50m. There are a good few disciplines you could shoot when it comes to gallery rifle so it's pretty varied.

Benchrest is a more accurate type of shooting and involves shooting off a rest. Most people use a bolt action rifle for this as they tend to be more accurate than semi automatics. This is (usually) more technical and is usually shot at 50m although it can be shot at 25m sometimes.

You can't pick a gun until you know what type of shooting that you want to do. Like I said, meet up with someone from the club and they'll show you the different types of shooting and you can see where you want to go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Ok Thanks. Im going to ring around and see whos got on site gun storage and go with them. Tanks for your time

• Registered Users Posts: 31 D-mac

no one has a number for fermoy rifle range, i sent an e mail but no reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement