Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing cigs back from Abu Dhabi

• 14-05-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick one for ye in the know.

I'm going to Abu Dhabi this weekend and there's a few of us smokers in the office that I'd like to be able to bring cigs back for.

I know the customs allowance in Dublin is 200 so I'm wondering does that just apply to duty free items brought back from the country you're coming in from?

Could I buy 400 on the way out in Dublin and bring 200 back duty free?

I haven't travelled outside of the EU for a while so I'm not sure what the story is as regards bringing stuff back!

Any advice appreciated (and I know smoking is bad for me btw. I don't drink anymore so just gotta love that sweet, sweet nicotine :pac:). Also not illegal intentions, just confused by what amount counts as actual duty free if I make the purchase outside of the airport :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No 200 is the limit in total if bought outside the EU and they keep a special eye on those flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

No 200 is the limit in total if bought outside the EU and they keep a special eye on those flights.

Cheers, so no matter if they're bought in the duty free area of the airport or if they're bought in the hotel shop or something, 200 is 200.

That's great, thanks for the clarification :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Their so cheap i'd chance it, worst case scenario they take them off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Certain brands of cigarettes are not the same in every country, Silk Cut Blue being one of them so I wouldn't get hung up on bringing back cigarettes for the crowd in the office. You could bring them back their favourite brand and they mightn't like them cause they're not the same as the ones sold in Ireland. For the Asian market there would tend to be more dark tobacco and that may also apply in the case of cigaretters sold in the UAE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

If you are going to Abu Dhabi don't bother buying them in Dublin on the way out. They are about 1/3 of the Dublin Duty Free price there. You can even shop when you arrive in AUH to cover you while you are there. The absolute maximum they will sell you though is 800.

Yes customs do watch non EU flights but unless you are laden down with luggage they will probably ignore you. As said worse case scenario is you lose all but 200, not that anyone here condones smuggling mind you.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I brought back 800 from Bangkok last year and they were pulling in loads of passengers on the Dubai Emirates flight. I had 600 seized and had my passport details noted. If you are a male single traveller then you are very likely to be searched, I had my case wrapped in that clingfilm stuff which probably aroused suspicions even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stinicker wrote: »
    I had my case wrapped in that clingfilm stuff which probably aroused suspicions even more.

Invitation to the customs people to stop you. Carry your valuables like jewellery and cameras in your hand luggage and if you have to wrap your check-in bag in plastic it's sending a signal to the baggage handlers that there's goodies in the bag, in turn that's going to attract the attention of the customs people.

Putting a padlock or any kind of protection on your bag attracts all the wrong attention. The more beat up and worn your luggage is, the less likely it is to be pilfered and you'll be better able to blend in with the crowd when exiting the customs lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

coylemj wrote: »
    Invitation to the customs people to stop you. Carry your valuables like jewellery and cameras in your hand luggage and if you have to wrap your check-in bag in plastic it's sending a signal to the baggage handlers that there's goodies in the bag, in turn that's going to attract the attention of the customs people.

Putting a padlock or any kind of protection on your bag attracts all the wrong attention. The more beat up and worn your luggage is, the less likely it is to be pilfered and you'll be better able to blend in with the crowd when exiting the customs lane.

I agree totally, however as I was returning from Bangkok Irish customs were the least of my concern, there is a major scam at Bangkok airport of planting drugs in passengers luggage when it goes down through the bowels of the airport and then when you would be pulled in for questioning about it by corrupt police who are willing to turn a blind eye in return for a bribe of €1K - €2k despite the drugs being planted there in the first place. So I always wrap and lock to try and prevent my baggage being tampered with when traveling home from Thailand.

I was pulled in at Cork in December off a flight from Warsaw despite no cellophane wrapping but I had no cigarettes on me. Both my suitcase and carryon was x-rayed in Dublin last time and after they seized my cigarettes I gave them plenty verbal abuse and told them where to shove the cigs and am not sorry for it either! and I'm not even a smoker!

Advertisement