Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental site similar to Skyscanner?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Im trying to arrange car rental for Northern Spain. I tried a few of the main sites like Hertz and then one called carrentals.com which seems similar to skyscanner. However none of the quotes give you info re insurance excess and fuel etc. Is this normal?
    Would like to know what I get and pay before I book without nasty surprises when I pick it up.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Try looking up ebookers for car rental they give competitive enough quotes.
    I've rented myself from Argus Car Rental in Germany in the past and had no problems but a few boardsies here wrote up complaining about Argus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've never had a problem with Argus car rental, but beware the CDW, you pay the rental company for that and can end up paying more than the actual rental of the car.

The airline websites can often be pretty cheap places to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I usually use:

http://www.autoeurope.ie
    or
    http://www.cardelmar.com (The German site)

Also check moneysupermarket.com, that will check all of them and give you the cheapest price (in pounds sterling), just go to the site directly and book (in euros)

ebookers in my experience has always been one of the most expensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

An Irish company which assures you that all prices are fullly inclusive and you won't have any nasty surprises waiting for you :

www.novacarhire.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

Ponster wrote: »
    An Irish company which assures you that all prices are fullly inclusive and you won't have any nasty surprises waiting for you :

www.novacarhire.com

Yep used them lots in the past...they were alwys finding the lowes rates then...

• Advertisement

www.novacarhire.com

Everything on Moneysupermarket covers all the basic insurance.

You only have to worry about the CDW if you rent through a US Site.

Used Auto Europe 15 times in various countries, Netherlands,Germany,Greece, United States, Portugal, UK and never had extra costs.

Have also used Car Del Mar without any issues.

e.g.
    6th-9th of June 10am to 10am
    Novacarhire - Economy Class - 40.22 (Alamo)
    Auto Europe - Economy Class - 37.32 (Hertz)

For the Insurance excess I added it to my Travel Insurance policy for an extra tenner a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

try www.kayak.com very simular to skyscanner and trustworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have seen a lot of this lately where third party insurance companies are offering to cover the insurance excess on the car rental policy. Seems rather strange. I would have thought it would be more secure to have it all done through the one company. That's how I did it before when I rented a campervan, where you paid a bit extra to reduce the excess to zero, and this option was given to you when booking the rental. None of the main companies seem to be offering that.

I have seen a lot of this lately where third party insurance companies are offering to cover the insurance excess on the car rental policy. Seems rather strange. I would have thought it would be more secure to have it all done through the one company. That's how I did it before when I rented a campervan, where you paid a bit extra to reduce the excess to zero, and this option was given to you when booking the rental. None of the main companies seem to be offering that.

To reduce the excess to zero with Hertz via Autoeurope when I last rented was 18 euros per day.

On my Travel insurance it was only an extra 10 euros for the year, hence its significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I use carhire3000 any time I rent.

Usually the cheapest and if you ring them up for a "is that the best you can do?" chat, they'll usually give no excess or similar.

• Advertisement

From my experience the main difference when taking full insurance from the car hire company as opposed to a 3rd party insurance company is that you run the risk of being out of pocket until reimbursed by your insurance.

If you have no excess with Hertz and crash then you have no issues. If you are with a 3rd party then Hertz will need to be paid while you claim against your 3rd party insurance so there may be a period of time when you are down $$$.

The whole renting of a car seems to be very complicated and would put you off the whole thing.
    Every person coming on here has quoted a different company. I know there are lots of brokers like in insurance etc but a lot of the info re the rental doesn't seem to be upfront for the purchaser.

Read this online and you would be reluctant to book with any car hire company after reading it. Just seems to be huge hassles with the whole thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/15/holiday-car-hire-10-ways-avoid-being-ripped-off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

most don't give you all the extra prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Renting a car involves careful reading of all the terms and conditions. Once you've read everything and have taken out excess insurance it's pretty straightforward. The article you linked has a lot of good advice and there's more in this thread.

To add to your confusion I've found Rhino very good to deal with and have also used travelsupermarket to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I usually use travelsupermarket to get the best deals.
    http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-car-hire/

I reckon I would have to pay 300 euro for a week's hire. Even the smallest of cars are 250 without any excess cover or fuel costs etc.
    Having to decide if trains and buses would be cheaper. Also how much use you would get out of the car when you would be at beaches. Just two of us travelling so trains and buses wouldnt be too bad. Also have to consider tolls, not knowing the roads, have never driven on the right side plus parking at night at accomodation.
    Overall I would love the freedom of renting the car but the hassles seem too much plus the value you would get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone know if its possible to knock the excess down to 0 through insurances thus meaning they won't have to hold a chunk of money on your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm sure it is possible to get the excess to €0.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm sure it is possible to get the excess to €0.

Me too but AFAIK they still block a certain amount on your CC no matter what the excess is.

• Advertisement

Me too but AFAIK they still block a certain amount on your CC no matter what the excess is.

Yeah I just need to get that blocked amount down to as little as possible tbh. If anyone has any experience with it, if you could throw it my way I'd appreciate it.

cson wrote: »
    Yeah I just need to get that blocked amount down to as little as possible tbh. If anyone has any experience with it, if you could throw it my way I'd appreciate it.

If you take out the maximum insurance there is no deposit for the excess.

They will however hold an amount for fuel.

TBH .. I think i've rented cars about 15-20 times in different countries all over the World in the last 2 years and never had a problem.

Cheers, I've rented a few times on the continent and in the US too and had no issues but this is one time I really can't have them blocking 400/500 quid on my card for a few days.

I have checked rental with Hertz.
    For a Seat Ibiza (small enough car) it is €380 for 7 days with their excess reduced to zero.
    Is this pretty good?
    I'm definitely getting the excess reduced to zero as it means peace of mind and if any damage is done I don't have to worry about it. Only thing not covered is damage to/lost keys and putting wrong fuel in car.
    I am going to go with one of the main companies. It is less hassle and peace of mind and the Hertz desk and carpark are more likely to be close to you.

I have checked rental with Hertz.
    For a Seat Ibiza (small enough car) it is €380 for 7 days with their excess reduced to zero.
    Is this pretty good?
    I'm definitely getting the excess reduced to zero as it means peace of mind and if any damage is done I don't have to worry about it. Only thing not covered is damage to/lost keys and putting wrong fuel in car.
    I am going to go with one of the main companies. It is less hassle and peace of mind and the Hertz desk and carpark are more likely to be close to you.

That's very expensive.
    I'd be expecting around the 25-28 euro a day mark.

With the insurance I think of it as "How often do I crash my own car"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Try:
    http://www.all-in-car-hire.com/

Excellent rates and you can buy the excess insurance on the site also.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Try:
    http://www.all-in-car-hire.com/

Excellent rates and you can buy the excess insurance on the site also.

Again that excess insurance is separate to the Rental Company so you'll have to pay them first and then claim the money off the excess policy.

Not a big deal for me really as I'd have the excess in savings anyway.

Keith
    The 28 eur a day you are quoting- are you including reducing the excess to zero?
    From research I did you are taking a major risk not reducing your excess to zero. It is worth paying the extra especially in a foreign country driving on the RHS. As others have stated getting excess insurance is only hassle as you will to pay the carhire company upfront and then reclaim from the excess insurance. It would just be hassle.

From research I did you are taking a major risk not reducing your excess to zero.

It's a personal choice. I don't think that in the past 15 years of hiring cars that I have ever paid extra to reduce the excess to zero.

• Advertisement

Keith
    The 28 eur a day you are quoting- are you including reducing the excess to zero?
    From research I did you are taking a major risk not reducing your excess to zero. It is worth paying the extra especially in a foreign country driving on the RHS. As others have stated getting excess insurance is only hassle as you will to pay the carhire company upfront and then reclaim from the excess insurance. It would just be hassle.

I live in the Netherlands, I drive 50,000km/year between NL and DE and regularly swap between LHD and RHD.

I rent quite regularly, as long as you treat a rental like you would your own car then I don't see where the extra risk is.

How is paying it and claiming it back extra hassle ?
    I've done it with the Dog Insurance twice now and just had to pay and then wait a few days to get the money back.

I don't see the point in paying a massive premium to reduce my excess to zero with the rental company when I can do it with a big insurance provider for a fraction of the cost.

Advertisement