Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Ryanairs standpoint on childrens carry on bags??

• 30-04-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a quick look but couldn't find a thread related to this same question. Ryan airs Q&A also proved as unhelpful as ever...

I have a 2 year old who is now required to have his own seat on the plane. As such I would have expected him to be allowed to have his own carry on allowance.

A friend of mine mentioned that he can only bring on a carry on case if he is able to manage it himself. He would be incapable of managing any bag by himself.

So, can I be wheeling his carry on case onto the plane for him or is this yet another typical ryanair scam where they now dont allow a 2 year old a discounted ticket but still do not allow him to carry any baggage onto the plane??

Similarly, as it specifies child rather than infant for his buggy i gather that this can at least still come free??

Thanks in advance.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

dohda wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a quick look but couldn't find a thread related to this same question. Ryan airs Q&A also proved as unhelpful as ever...

I have a 2 year old who is now required to have his own seat on the plane. As such I would have expected him to be allowed to have his own carry on allowance.

A friend of mine mentioned that he can only bring on a carry on case if he is able to manage it himself. He would be incapable of managing any bag by himself.

So, can I be wheeling his carry on case onto the plane for him or is this yet another typical ryanair scam where they now dont allow a 2 year old a discounted ticket but still do not allow him to carry any baggage onto the plane??

Similarly, as it specifies child rather than infant for his buggy i gather that this can at least still come free??

Thanks in advance.

D.

I don't think the buggy will be free but you will have an allowance for the bag. (At least that is how it was before a couple of years ago (standard tickets - standard baggage allowance).

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Thats great. Thanks for the reply. After it was mentioned to me I had visions of ryanair staff trying to make a 2 year old wheel his own blag onto the plane!!

Nothing would surprise me with them which is why I could almost see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thats great. Thanks for the reply. After it was mentioned to me I had visions of ryanair staff trying to make a 2 year old wheel his own blag onto the plane!!

Nothing would surprise me with them which is why I could almost see it happening.

That is what I have done in the past anyway, they didn't say anything to me about carrying my child's bag. This wasn't from Dublin though where they are terribly strict apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Anyone with a paid for ticket gets full carry on bagage allowance.
    We've brought a buggy for a 4 year old on Ryanair and never had to pay for it.

Gosh it will be great if the buggy is also free.

Besides, nothing like some abuse from friendly customer focused employees while your struggling single handedly with 2 small kids, 3 bags and a buggy.......

Fun from check in till check out......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

The buggy is free.

You are each entitled to carry on luggage.

The challenge for you will be pushing a buggy while also pulling two carry on cases. This will take approximately four times as long to get to the gate as it would if you are on your own.

Ryanair wont let you combine your allowances so that you only have to pull one piece of luggage while pushing a buggy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

steo67 wrote: »
    The buggy is free, its about the only thing you get free with swine air, besides the abuse.

Every bloody thread where Ryanair is mentioned. :rolleyes:

Another thing Ryanair don't charge for is your freedom not to fly with them.

I have flown with Ryanair well over a hundred times and never received or witnessed any abuse from their staff. Although I've seen them take plenty from passengers, usually expecting something for nothing.

OP, your 2 year old is entitled to the same baggage allowance as any other passenger paying to occupy a seat on a flight.

The buggy is carried free.

From Ryanair.com - "One fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge".

See Baggage info.

Thanks.

I had come across the baggage information alright. I was just trying to clarify if the one bag per person meant that my 2 year old could only have a carry on bag they could manage themselves (as in none at all) or whether I could carry their bag onto the plane for them. Thereby exceeding my 1 baggage allowance.

I would be asking the same question relating to any airline with a 1 bag policy. It only happens that I am currently travelling with ryanair

Thanks.

I had come across the baggage information alright. I was just trying to clarify if the one bag per person meant that my 2 year old could only have a carry on bag they could manage themselves (as in none at all) or whether I could carry their bag onto the plane for them. Thereby exceeding my 1 baggage allowance.

I would be asking the same question relating to any airline with a 1 bag policy. It only happens that I am currently travelling with ryanair

Yep, they have no problem with you carrying your child's bag as long as both bags are within the permitted weight. Although as another poster said, it might be difficult if you are on your own.

Do allow extra time to get to the departure gate.

Ryanair don't expect anyone not capable of carrying their own luggage to do so.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Thanks.

It could be worse. The other option is the kids not getting away at all.

Will be worth it once we get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Lapin wrote: »
    Every bloody thread where Ryanair is mentioned. :rolleyes:

Another thing Ryanair don't charge for is your freedom not to fly with them.

I have flown with Ryanair well over a hundred times and never received or witnessed any abuse from their staff. Although I've seen them take plenty from passengers, usually expecting something for nothing.

OP, your 2 year old is entitled to the same baggage allowance as any other passenger paying to occupy a seat on a flight.

The buggy is carried free.

From Ryanair.com - "One fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge".

See Baggage info.

Agree 100%. I saw Ryanair staff get abused by a black woman one night accusing them of being racist etc. just because they asked her to put her obviously oversize bag into the bag checker. Not only had she an obviously oversize bag but she had also several shopping bags having purchased multiple items in the airport shops.

If all the bags had been put in a line and you asked every passenger which one Ryanair would most likely have checked they all would have picked hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Eyanair have a clear policy on children & their baggage & seats & buggies.

Instead of coming online to ask random
    Strangers why don't you
    Read The terms & conditions of your
    Booking ?
    Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yes you can bring a buggy on for free.

Yes your 2 year old can bring a carry on bag.

No your 2 old does not have to carry the bag.

I've flown with ryanair with my kids every summer and they are grand. Staff have been helpful and polite...no issues.

You get what you pay for. 2010 i flew with Ryanair to milan for 450 return for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant. Same flights with Aer Lingus €1300.

Case closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Strangers why don't you
    Booking ?
    Ffs.

If everyone did that then boards would be a very quiet place.
    If everyone just used google in real life too sure there's be no need to talk to anyone :)

Anyhoo, having travelled with ryanair several times with 2 kids under 3, yes they do allow buggies as well as the standard baggage allowance.

Recently I have tended to book a reserved seat or the extra €10 per passenger. Makes things that little bit easier. As I tend to book months in advance, even with the reserved seat charge the flights are cheap!

Once you are organised, in the queue in time, bags packed correctly etc then it's quite easy really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

in relation to the OP's topic.... are you allowed to carry a nappy/changing bag for a child (2yrs) or has that to be included in your one carry on piece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

kassie wrote: »
    in relation to the OP's topic.... are you allowed to carry a nappy/changing bag for a child (2yrs) or has that to be included in your one carry on piece?

A nappy bag would be considered hand luggage, so make sure it fits into a larger bag if you know what I mean . We dont bring the usual nappy bag just pack all the baby stuff into a normal hand luggage.
    Also a slightly off topic FYI you can take in milk and juice bottles for the toddlers / babys through airport security they just ask you to taste it first.

Strangers why don't you
    Booking ?
    Ffs.

Thats an unfair thing to say and needlessly harsh.

Whats the point in having a travel forum if people cannot draw on the experience of others?

Part of the fun of travelling is being able to share tips with others (even "random strangers"), and advise people in a helpful way.

Few sayings are more true than the one that says 'travel broadens the mind'. Telling someone to go away and read the terms and conditions rather than making enquiries on their own inititave doesn't add much to anyone's insight into traveling.

People should be encouraged to ask questions on travel issues that concern them here, not dismissed.

Christ, what a dull and joyless world it would be if everyone simply listened to your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Children must fit into the dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
    If they do not fit into these dimensions they must be checked in and an extra fee paid.

It would be preferable if you could fold the child into the space underneath the seat in front of you.

Advertisement