Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krakow in February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

zweton wrote: »
    i am going over the end of the month and got quoted 230 zl, i would say thats about average.

Are you going solo or with a group?

I went last year and we ordered a private taxi, cost us 320zl for the day, so worked out 160zl each but if we had more with us would have been cheaper. Think they take up to 4 people. Taxi collected us at hotel, took us to Auschwitz, then to Birkeanu and then back to Krakow, wherever we wanted to go, so we got dropped off at Schindler's factory. Worth it to pay an extra few bob for a bit of comfort unless on a tight budget.

It's 40zl for a guided tour of Auschwitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Hostel I stayed in did an arranged taxi pickup from the airport for 80zl (or €20) for 1 - 4 people. I was on my own but I got it anyway as the train is under construction till next year and I was arriving in the evening and couldn't be bothered walking to bus stops/going through suburbs etc. Figured it was worth it since everything else is pretty damn cheap in the city.

€60 seems like a lot for the tours tbh, again the hostel I stayed in did arranged tours (not organised by the hostel themselves as they picked up at numerous hostels/hotels but payment/logistics through them). It was 115zl for Auschwitz and 125zl for salt mines or about €30 each and even then I was told before I left by people that had been before that that was pricey enough compared to doing it by yourself (again I wasn't arsed messing about with trains/buses as that seemed pretty reasonable for tours that lasted several hours each). Price included pickup to/from hostel and a guide on both tours. Auschwitz included a documentary on the drive over as well as dropping us the Birkeanau after Auschwitz I. I don't know what the name of the tour company was but you should definitely shop around it they are quoting you €60.

EDIT: This was the company that ran the tours: http://mcit-tours.co.uk/ Slightly more expensive on the website but only by 10 - 15zl which is a pittance anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And is the bus fair from the Airport...

Any other scams worth noting?

Make sure any taxi you use (if you do use them) is a proper taxi. A favourite spot for the fake taxis to hang out is across from the train station. They will have signs saying 'Taxxi' or 'Taxii' or something similar, but they are not registered. The real taxi rank near the train station is through the large shopping centre next to it.

50 zl per person for a taxi from the airport is very poor. I use the same guy every time I go over, and he charges us 80 zl for a car load of four.

Unfortunately the airport trains are not running again until Summer 2015 or so, due to upgrading - they were a handy alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Are you going solo or with a group?

I went last year and we ordered a private taxi, cost us 320zl for the day, so worked out 160zl each but if we had more with us would have been cheaper. Think they take up to 4 people. Taxi collected us at hotel, took us to Auschwitz, then to Birkeanu and then back to Krakow, wherever we wanted to go, so we got dropped off at Schindler's factory. Worth it to pay an extra few bob for a bit of comfort unless on a tight budget.

It's 40zl for a guided tour of Auschwitz.

going over with the missus, cant wait i was there before love krakow theres something very special about it.
    just googling to see if theres anything else to do there, may take a trip to zakopane too its looks too nice to miss out on. Im there the bank hol wknd and its bank hol there in krakow too so should be well busy.

going over with the missus, cant wait i was there before love krakow theres something very special about it.
    just googling to see if theres anything else to do there, may take a trip to zakopane too its looks too nice to miss out on. Im there the bank hol wknd and its bank hol there in krakow too so should be well busy.

I was there for 3 days last year (was in Lodz as well) - did the Saltmines, Auschwitz, the castle, Jewish Quarter etc., etc., so much to do there. Zakopane looks so beautiful - will definitely head there for a long weekend at some stage.

Have a great time.

• Advertisement

Thanks Maire. Actually can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Krakow.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Or a good place for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Or a good place for breakfast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tom Naughton's Bar Mleczny on Sw. Tomasza do a nice breakfast.
    Facebook link

anywhere over there ya can get a decent aul fry:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't eat in the main square.. It's expensive but there is a tea rooms in the middle that brings you back to the 1940s. Really nice place and worth a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Any other tips for Krakow? Travelling next week however I have no tours booked, would it be simple/affordable enough to organise them out there?

Any other tips for Krakow? Travelling next week however I have no tours booked, would it be simple/affordable enough to organise them out there?

Book them directly with the company's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I was in Krakow last year and absolutely loved it, I really want go back as we didn't have much time for all the sightseeing.
    Food was fantastic wherever we went but we became very fond of those places:

http://www.miodiwino.pl/en/
    http://miodmalina.pl/en

We've eaten in the first restaurant twice and once in the other. It was very affordable, food incredibly tasty and portions were massive. They both are close to the main square (on either side of it).

We rented an apartment in an old building, which was really charming. The apartment itself was quite basic but well maintained and clean. We didn't spend much time in there anyway. Used to go for breakfast into a restaurant called Stare Mury in Pijarska street.

As for sightseeing we only managed to visit Wawel castle and took a trip to Wieliczka salt mine (http://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com), which I can recommend. We booked the tour when in Krakow with one of the companies. It was reasonably priced and well organised.

great stuff, must check out these places for food so. going next week for 7 days. staying here

http://www.apartmentsapart.com/europe/poland/krakow/apartments/detail/23717

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

great stuff, must check out these places for food so. going next week for 7 days. staying here

http://www.apartmentsapart.com/europe/poland/krakow/apartments/detail/23717

That looks fab! Great location too. Have a ball and let us know how did you get on! ;)

If you're doing autszwich bring a packed lunch and water with you. You'll get a break between camps but not long enough to sit down in the cafe.
    You'll also need a few zloty for the toilet.
    And Wear comfortable shoes.

Just wondering for anyone who has travelled there already, did you change your money here or wait until you got to krakow?

Just wondering for anyone who has travelled there already, did you change your money here or wait until you got to krakow?

You can change money at the airport there. Rates are standard. Just as you go out of departures in front of you to the left if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I just used my ATM card at the airport and took out what I thought would be enough to keep me going.

• Advertisement

ya true, makes the most sense i guess.

sorry should have asked this earlier, are thee any must trys regarding polish food/alcohol i should try when over:) i read the walnut vodka is supposed to be good so will give it a try, anything else:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

sorry should have asked this earlier, are thee any must trys regarding polish food/alcohol i should try when over:) i read the walnut vodka is supposed to be good so will give it a try, anything else:D

don't bother changing at the airport, they rip you off. Most streets in Krakow have wee shops called 'Kantor' they'll give you a far better rate.

Drink: caramel vodka and walnut vodka are mighty, zubrowka is good too. Tyskie or Lech are prob the best popular beers, you should also try House of Beer if you're into more obscure beers.
    If you want to experience what a restaurant was like in Communist times, look up the 'bar mleczny' on the street down to the castle from the main square, food is proper Polish mammy's food and you get a crazy mix of people in the place, one of the few authentic things around the square.

Kazimierz is the best part of Krakow.

nice one thanks, ya im staying in kazimierz.

Try ALL of the beer and falvoured vodka - they are so cheap. Myself and my friend basically went through them in the space of the 5 days we were there.

Edit: We didn't get through them all but made a decent effort :)

haha any favourite spots maire?

haha any favourite spots maire?

To be honest I couldn't name any pub we went into. Generally just rambled in and ordered a drink and stayed if we like it. There was an English pub (in name only really, had all the local beer) just off the main square, went there to watch the Premier League one day. Nice pub and nice staff. It might have had the name "bull" in it somewhere but can't be sure.

To be honest I couldn't name any pub we went into. Generally just rambled in and ordered a drink and stayed if we like it. There was an English pub (in name only really, had all the local beer) just off the main square, went there to watch the Premier League one day. Nice pub and nice staff. It might have had the name "bull" in it somewhere but can't be sure.

Called John Bull, it's just off the main square, on the small square (Maly Rynek) just behind the big ass cathedral on the square. It's a bit naff though, the Irish pub, Irish Mbassy is better imo and close by. But tbh, most of the pubs round there are a bit of a rip off and mostly just for tourists, that Kaz place is where the locals hang out.

Here's a list of the best places according to TripAdvisor for a night out:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274772-Activities-c20-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

Called John Bull, it's just off the main square, on the small square (Maly Rynek) just behind the big ass cathedral on the square. It's a bit naff though, the Irish pub, Irish Mbassy is better imo and close by. But tbh, most of the pubs round there are a bit of a rip off and mostly just for tourists, that Kaz place is where the locals hang out.

Here's a list of the best places according to TripAdvisor for a night out:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274772-Activities-c20-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

That could have been it - found it grand but was more interested in the football :) I found their prices reasonable in there given it was so close the square, but I suppose all prices are favourable when compared to here.

• Advertisement

That could have been it - found it grand but was more interested in the football :) I found their prices reasonable in there given it was so close the square, but I suppose all prices are favourable when compared to here.

Yea, that's true. I just prefer the Mbassy for the soccer coz they have Irish ads on instead of Sky ads and sometimes it's the only Irish accent I'd hear for weeks.

Krakow is very cheap for people coming with euros though, but some of the best nights I've had out in Krakow were in places where the beer was only 4zl and the vodka was 8zl....so 1 and 2 euro respectively......look out for places called "Ministries of Vodka and Herring" (I don't remember the Polish translation...'something Sledz i Wodka'.
    They don't get a lot of tourists so people will be only delighted to talk to you in there and practice their drunken English :D

Advertisement