Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop CC text tool Lag

Options
  • 08-08-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I got new photoshop cc and i experiancing this new problem that i never run into before .
    Whenever i press type tool, whole photoshop start to lag big time.
    My laptop has 4gb ram , intel i5 core , 1gb nvidia gt420m graphics card , so i dont think that is because of the machine i use.

Please help me whoever know what causes that issue .

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There might be too many fonts on your machine affecting performance. Check in c:/Windows/Fonts/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭OscarMike

tricky D wrote: »
    There might be too many fonts on your machine affecting performance. Check in c:/Windows/Fonts/
    there are 6k + fonts , what should i do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

OscarMike wrote: »
    there are 6k + fonts , what should i do?

Delete some? :pac:

Or at the least save some away in a different folder. You hardly need all 6k whenever you open photoshop.

Was it Spiekermann who said a good designer needs only 3 typefaces? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Roll up your sleeves, figure out the ones you will frequently want (a few hundred) and move the rest out to another unrelated folder like c:/extrafonts. When you want the less frequent ones, you'll have to go through that folder looking at large icons to see what they look like.

What I reckon is happening is when you select the type tool, it is taking too long for the fonts to get loaded in to PhotoShop's font cache due to the large number and possibly their complexity. Deselecting Font Preview in the Preferences might also help performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I had more a less the same problem I think. Had loads of fonts on my machine with 4GB of ram. I would click on the type tool and would have to wait a good while before I could use it. Once I upgraded to 8GB of ram, I've noticed the problem has gone. I don't have the same amount of fonts as you, which is worth keeping in mind, but I would imagine it would help?
    If you don't fancy cracking the laptop open, do as stated above, move fonts that you don't plan on using to a folder. You'll probably only need a handful in the end. You'll find fonts that you will never use. I find loads when I'm scrolling through fonts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Had to look up that quote from the Helvetica documentary by Massimo Vignelli

"We believe that there are not that many good typefaces. If. I want to be really generous, there are a dozen."

It took me hours to clear out the sh*t that I had in my font book. Still have about 60-70 though

Advertisement