Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walled City Marathon

• 02-12-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna do it :eek: :D

http://thewalledcitymarathon.com/race-route/

Fahan Street is going to be a tricky climb after running for 25 miles!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Id say a few will roll down Shipquay St;)

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I feel faint just looking at that! I'm glad they are focusing it around the river, that walkway between Peace - Foyle bridge should be a great walk when it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Good luck, that's some run. Is the half marathon still on as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

circadian wrote: »
    Is the half marathon still on as well?

Not as part of the marathon. It's run separately in September time (I think).

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah right I thought both would have been done at the same time. The half marathon is a doddle compared to this. Fair play and the best of luck!

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Fair play and the best of luck!

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Registration for this had closed, but is open again for a couple of days, just in case anyone else wants to enter.

http://thewalledcitymarathon.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mmmmm. This or Belfast in May. Looking at some of that route, would say its that flat in places. Also could be a bit rural in places, what would the support be like outside the city/residential areas?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Mmmmm. This or Belfast in May. Looking at some of that route, would say its that flat in places. Also could be a bit rural in places, what would the support be like outside the city/residential areas?

It's only a provisional route at the moment. They are hoping to confirm it towards the end of this month. By support, do you mean people cheering you on? If that's the case, I can't see there being much between mile 6.5 and mile 14 to be honest. The rest should be good though...

Granted it's not been built yet, but I can't imagine there being much room between mile 18-20 for a wide enough running area and much of a crowd either. That map looks to me like it'll be the lower deck that's gonna be used? hopefully it all works out ok!

• Advertisement

guttenberg wrote: »
    Granted it's not been built yet, but I can't imagine there being much room between mile 18-20 for a wide enough running area and much of a crowd either. That map looks to me like it'll be the lower deck that's gonna be used? hopefully it all works out ok!

Yeah, I'd say 18 - 20 will be fairly quiet too. Lower deck for the first crossing (red) upper deck for the second crossing (blue).

One thing to note is the Belfast will have around 20,000 runners, this one only around 1,000, so it's quite bijou :)

That probably means that the support won't be as big, but with the City of Culture going on, I think the Derry one it more attractive. Insofar as a marathon can be...

Good point on the rural parts, the 7-14 mile segment would have very little support I imagine. As it happens, this is the hilliest part, the max height is 200 feet. (Belfast max is about 340ft, I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

0lordy wrote: »
    One thing to note is the Belfast will have around 20,000 runners, this one only around 1,000, so it's quite bijou :)

That probably means that the support won't be as big, but with the City of Culture going on, I think the Derry one it more attractive. Insofar as a marathon can be...

Good point on the rural parts, the 7-14 mile segment would have very little support I imagine. As it happens, this is the hilliest part, the max height is 200 feet. (Belfast max is about 340ft, I think).

Although based on my memory of Belfast last year, only a quarter of the total runners did the full distance, the rest were relay teams, and mini/half marathon runners.

Derry is currently looking a little more attractive based on the fact it will give me an extra month to prepare should I decide on a marathon in the first half of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone doing this marathon, on mile 25 there is a street called Fahan Street, which climbs up from the Bogside into the city centre.

Here it is
    http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/06/61/3066137_bfae6c9c.jpg

It is VERY steep!! Doesn't look it in the picture but it is.
    I'd say there will be a few walking up it come the 25th mile.

Derry is currently looking a little more attractive based on the fact it will give me an extra month to prepare should I decide on a marathon in the first half of this year.

Just remember that entries for Derry will close at 4:00 PM tomorrow, or earlier if they reach the limit.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone doing this marathon, on mile 25 there is a street called Fahan Street, which climbs up from the Bogside into the city centre.

Here it is
    http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/06/61/3066137_bfae6c9c.jpg

It is VERY steep!! Doesn't look it in the picture but it is.
    I'd say there will be a few walking up it come the 25th mile.

Did you read the first post in the thread? :D

Although based on my memory of Belfast last year, only a quarter of the total runners did the full distance, the rest were relay teams, and mini/half marathon runners.

Maybe not even that...at the launch of the Derry marathon, they mentioned a figure of about 3,500 for the full marathon in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobtisdall

Does anyone realise that Derry host Down in the Ulster GAA Championship at Celtic Park on race day? This means that 20,000 spectators will be criss-crossing the marathon route. What time does the marathon start?

bobtisdall wrote: »
    What time does the marathon start?

9am. What time is the match?

Don't think the kick off time has been announced yet, Celtic Parks not actually part of the route, so even if there was an overlap, Down fans could avoid having to cross paths with the marathon, traffic will be mental that day though!

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    9am. What time is the match?

No time published yet for the match, I assumed the match would be moved to the Saturday, maybe it still will be. Seems unworkable that both will happen on the same day, assuming that there's a minor match which would start at 2:00 PM at the latest

It's not just the senior match (3:30pm), it's also the minor match (1:30pm). Not only the Down supporters but 95% of the Derry supporters come in from the same directions. The entrance roads are all part of the marathon course, from Dungiven, Coleraine and Strabane directions. There is no way the GAA will change match - covered live on BBC. In fact almost all the marathon route, apart from path along old railway line and the proposed path through St. Columb's Park, is on a main entrance route. The race even goes past Celtic Park at 24 miles!

Airtricity are coming in with sponsorship of the race in the next few weeks.

It's not just the senior match (3:30pm), it's also the minor match (1:30pm). Not only the Down supporters but 95% of the Derry supporters come in from the same directions. The entrance roads are all part of the marathon course, from Dungiven, Coleraine and Strabane directions. There is no way the GAA will change match - covered live on BBC. In fact almost all the marathon route, apart from path along old railway line and the proposed path through St. Columb's Park, is on a main entrance route. The race even goes past Celtic Park at 24 miles!
    I think your getting the Brandywell confused with Celtic Park. The marathon comes from the Foyle Road to the mini roundabout beside Brandywell stadium, then goes right towards Lecky Road, Celtic Park is further out the Lone Moor Road. Dungiven/Coleraine traffic would be advised to use Foyle Bridge, and travel up Strand Road and approach Celtic Park from Northland Road direction. Traffic will be hectic, and visitors will likely have to park and walk further to the stadium, but the marathon route is easily avoidable for visitors.

That roundabout at Brandywell Ave to which you refer cannot be more than 40 metres from one of the turnstyles at Celtic Park.

That roundabout at Brandywell Ave to which you refer cannot be more than 40 metres from one of the turnstyles at Celtic Park.

It's a good 100 yards from the roundabout to the closest turnstile, and a good bit further from the turnstiles that most people will be using to get into the ground. Match times haven't been announced yet, or any travel arrangements, but considering the marathon has at most a couple of thousand runners, it won't be pandemonium, and likely will be finished before most GAA fans reach the city! You shouldn't have anything to worry about!

I was at a marathon talk this evening. There's a very good probability that the marathon will be brought forward to start at 8:30am now and the GAA are also starting the match later than normal to avoid any major problems. As the marathon passes, sections of the route will be re-opened to traffic which should also help with traffic flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 west side kid

Hi

Has anyone any information on the logistics of this? For example - When can you pick up your number and pack? Will they be providing sports drink and/or water on the course? If so - from what mile? (I see that High 5 are sponsoring).

I've been a runner for a while but decided to make this my first marathon due to its uniqueness and location. Is there much of a buzz about it locally. (I live in Dublin).

Also interested to get more insights from the information talk?

Cheers,

Hi

Has anyone any information on the logistics of this? For example - When can you pick up your number and pack? Will they be providing sports drink and/or water on the course? If so - from what mile? (I see that High 5 are sponsoring).

I've been a runner for a while but decided to make this my first marathon due to its uniqueness and location. Is there much of a buzz about it locally. (I live in Dublin).

Also interested to get more insights from the information talk?

Cheers,

Hi there,

I presume the pre-reg will be 1 or 2 evenings beforehand. I believe it's just High5 gels that will be provided. Best thing would be to fire a question on the facebook page, you should get an answer pretty quickly.

I wasn't at the talk, just got the information secondhand - didn't hear much that is specific to Derry, just general marathon training advice. The information is held on the website http://thewalledcitymarathon.com/training-zone/.

It's great that you picked Derry - it's my first marathon too, but that's because I work in Derry and live in Letterkenny, so it's a local one for me.

There's a great buzz about Derry, there's a lot of folks training for this. The route does go out the sticks a couple of times, so there won't be much by way of crowds there, but a lot of it will be in the city, I'd expect a lot of support there. With the 2013 City of Culture going on, it's a great year to be running this.

Hope this helps, let me know if you've any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 west side kid

0lordy wrote: »
    Hi there,

There's a great buzz about Derry, there's a lot of folks training for this. The route does go out the sticks a couple of times, so there won't be much by way of crowds there, but a lot of it will be in the city, I'd expect a lot of support there. With the 2013 City of Culture going on, it's a great year to be running this.

Hope this helps, let me know if you've any questions.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm also from the area too - so I know how friendly people in that part of the world are

Great to hear there's some a buzz about it!!

Will they be providing sports drink and/or water on the course? If so - from what mile? (I see that High 5 are sponsoring).

I think there are nine water stops but they have a contingency to have two more depending on the weather. There will also be four High5 gel stops.

It's been announced that the marathon is now starting at 8:30am and the route has also been changed to avoid the Loanmoor Road. They have taken over the Foyleside East car-park for marathon runners vehicles and they'll have a Park-and-Ride facility to take people across to the race HQ at the Everglades starting at 6:30am on the 2nd June.

It's been announced that the marathon is now starting at 8:30am and the route has also been changed to avoid the Loanmoor Road. They have taken over the Foyleside East car-park for marathon runners vehicles and they'll have a Park-and-Ride facility to take people across to the race HQ at the Everglades starting at 6:30am on the 2nd June.

Is the new route available online Penfailed? If I'm free that morning I'll definitely be going over to the startline to watch. How's your training coming along?

Is the new route available online Penfailed?

You can zoom in and out on this link -

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=8792F691-CE78-48CF-A7D8C0DCFC952233
    If I'm free that morning I'll definitely be going over to the startline to watch.

As far as I know, the Victoria Road will be closed to all traffic from 7:30 until 9:30.
    How's your training coming along?

I ran 20.7 miles last Sunday, did the Inishowen half marathon yesterday and I'm aiming for 22 miles next Sunday. Only six weeks to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought you were meant to stop at 20 miles when training for a marathon?

• Advertisement

Fair play Penfailed, have you ran Fahan Street yet? I'd say that'll be the toughest part. Never realised they made a walkway out the line, must go for a dander someday!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought you were meant to stop at 20 miles when training for a marathon?

Some say that, others reckon you should go up to 23/24 miles...I'll stick with 22 :)
    Fair play Penfailed, have you ran Fahan Street yet? I'd say that'll be the toughest part. Never realised they made a walkway out the line, must go for a dander someday!

Haven't done Fahan Street. I've run most of the route on different training runs apart from the first five or so miles and the last couple of miles...and I can't run the section from the Waterfoot towards the Peace Bridge as that bit is still under construction.

I know a lot of people are in debt up there but I think it's still called the Lone Moor Road!

I know a lot of people are in debt up there but I think it's still called the Lone Moor Road!

Haha! My mistake :o

Airtricity are coming in with sponsorship of the race in the next few weeks.

I don't know who your source was but they were wrong. These guys are the sponsors - http://www.sse.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SJT63

Hi guys,

coming off the back of the Boston Marathon to this one so haven't really been keeping up to date on the logistics, still not sure if I'll actually do it, depends on how the legs react over next couple of weeks.

Because of injury only managed a 6 week "get me round" programme for Boston and had in fact registered for Derry as a back up.

Just picked up on the fact that its now an 8.30 start so am tempted to travel down the night before and stay in an hotel, preferably a very quiet one, any suggestions?

Anyone know where I can get details on registration, where the water/gel stations will be located, road closures etc??

SJT63 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

coming off the back of the Boston Marathon to this one so haven't really been keeping up to date on the logistics, still not sure if I'll actually do it, depends on how the legs react over next couple of weeks.

Because of injury only managed a 6 week "get me round" programme for Boston and had in fact registered for Derry as a back up.

Just picked up on the fact that its now an 8.30 start so am tempted to travel down the night before and stay in an hotel, preferably a very quiet one, any suggestions?

Anyone know where I can get details on registration, where the water/gel stations will be located, road closures etc??

Are you on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/thederrymarathon?fref=ts

Penfailed, thanks for posting the link to the facebook page, have made a friend request and hoping I can then access all the race info.

Four weeks to go! I ran 22 miles on Sunday morning which will be my longest run to date and also the longest run that I'll be doing prior to the big day. The plan is for 18 next week, 16 the week after and 10/12 the week before the marathon. Once that's done, I might never run again!

Penfailed that sounds like a good plan, 22 miles beforehand is spot on.

I've only gone 12 & 16 since Boston and will probably only go 18,16,10 over the next 3 weekends.

Stayed up in Derry last weekend to get a wee feel for the course, done the first 16 miles Sunday morning and the last 6 on Monday, by the sounds no one will be able to run the section around 18 miles anyway before marathon day as it still under construction!

SJT63 wrote: »
    by the sounds no one will be able to run the section around 18 miles anyway before marathon day as it still under construction!

Yeah, I've heard that it will only open for the marathon and then close again to do the finishing touches (park benches, litter bins, etc.). How was Boston?

Boston was tough all round. Training was limited due to a variety of injuries so was just glad to get over the line, series of rolling hills between mile 16-21, uphill wasn't the problem it was the downhills that absolutely shredded my quads, by the time I got down Heartbreak Hill I was drained with still 5 to go!

But that all became irrelevant after the bombs I was still on Boylston Street in the baggage area when they went off, scary experience to say the least.

Ran 18 this morning and used the gels for the first time. They work! :D

15 miles this morning. Only two weeks to go! :D

15 miles this morning. Only two weeks to go! :D

12 miles for me. This is getting real!

• Advertisement
Advertisement