Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options
  • 29-01-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Phoenix wrote: »
    So says Leonid Kravchuk,Ukraine's first post-independence president.
    covered here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25939737
    I have been spekaing to friends living in Kiev since the first clashes and some of the stuff that has been allegedly carried out by the state services against the protesters has been abhorrent to say the least...
    I hope this doesnt end up as another Yugoslavia

Dont know a whole lot about ukraine would it be divided along religous and ethnic lines like yugoslavia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

jimboblep wrote: »
    Dont know a whole lot about ukraine would it be divided along religous and ethnic lines like yugoslavia

Generally along ethnic lines.

North-West, Ukranian, nationalist, Pro-European
    South-East, Russian, imperialist, Pro-Russian

There have, however, been protests in the South-East/Russian stronghold.

Ethnolingusitic_map_of_ukraine.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And political divisions - voting maps since independence: Jdaiqwp.png

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

thanks folks fantastic answers
    the reason i ask is if something does happen could there be factions there who would use it as an excuse for settling old scores and would it then get into ethnic cleansing / genocide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

A war won't go well for pro-western Ukrainians. One side will have Putin to back them up and the other will have the EU blocking sunflower oil imports.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From what I know of Russian history in general, they have strong historical ties with that region and the political class regard it has part of the Motherland. Given the authoritian regime in Russia and the lack of military capacity within the EU (It being a trading/political union), any conflict would be rather one-sided. Unless the Poles get involved in replying the 1920/21 conflict ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....one can see this ending badly allright. Given that society is split along what appear to be diametrically opposed lines, its hard to get compromise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Phoenix wrote: »
    So says Leonid Kravchuk,Ukraine's first post-independence president.
    covered here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25939737
    I have been spekaing to friends living in Kiev since the first clashes and some of the stuff that has been allegedly carried out by the state services against the protesters has been abhorrent to say the least...
    I hope this doesnt end up as another Yugoslavia

this is americas creation!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Some nasty right wing elements involved in the protest too, and just like Syria, this isn't a black or white issue by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Would it be naive to ask whythe rioters did not respect the decisions of their elected government?

There appears to be a fascistic putsch in operation, but because the participants are pro-EU we are supposed to sympathise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/19/could-ukraines-crisis-become-a-civil-war/

Here's an interesting article from Max Fisher stating a civil war is highly unlikely as it's doubtful the army will split amongst itself. We may see the military used to restore order (which will be nasty) but I can't see a protracted civil war developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Some nasty right wing elements involved in the protest too, and just like Syria, this isn't a black or white issue by any means.

Some sanity, thanks be to god.

I've seen Klitschko described as the "leader of the opposition". Western media views this as a manichaeistic struggle between good guy western liberal protestors, led by the vibrant and populist Klitschko, and the evil regressive Yanukovych regime of doom. There has been a number of morally grey conflicts which have been portrayed as such struggles by the MSM lately: Syria, Libya, Egypt etc. They just don't understand that there are other alligators in the water aside from Klitschko....

On another note, why haven't the lethal protests in (American ally) Thailand been reported as much as those in Ukraine?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    On another note, why haven't the lethal protests in (American ally) Thailand been reported as much as those in Ukraine?

Probably because the Ukraine is in Europe and thus right on our doorstep.

Also the protests there are about if the Ukraine should lean more towards Europe or Russia. This all makes it closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I came on here to have a read of this as normally 1 or 2 punters seem to know a great detail on a political subject. Doesn't appear to be the case with Ukraine. It's looking serious, who is to blame the EU or Russia ?

Rightwing wrote: »
    I came on here to have a read of this as normally 1 or 2 punters seem to know a great detail on a political subject. Doesn't appear to be the case with Ukraine. It's looking serious, who is to blame the EU or Russia ?

Neither, this is an internal conflict which has been simmering for years.

The Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and beaten only by Belarus in Europe.
    HIV Infection rates are among the worst in Europe. Ukranians claims that resources for HIV Treatments have been stolen by the Yanukovich government.

Yanukovich has used his position to enrich himself and his family, and help his son evade criminal prosecution.

Ukranians flood the Polish labour market, particularly during Summer.
    The Nationalist Ukrainians compare themselves to Poland, and are conscious of their extreme divergence in economic and social success since the end of the Cold War, and see the EU as realistic escape from Russian Imperialism.
    Many formerly pro-Russian people are also in favour of EU membership.

However, there is a massive chunk of the population who are pro-Russian. It's very difficult to describe the nationalist mentality which ethnic Russians are typically afflicted by, it's really something you need to experience first hand - needs to be seen to be believed.

Throw in the extortionist tactics used by Russia via Gazprom, the imprisonment of Tymoshenko etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Would it be naive to ask whythe rioters did not respect the decisions of their elected government?

There appears to be a fascistic putsch in operation, but because the participants are pro-EU we are supposed to sympathise.

Because that's not how democracy works.

You don't elect a government and then allow them to do whatever they please. They still have to adhere to the will of the people, and at least 40% of the Ukrainians wanted to become part of the EU.

And the neo-nazis in the protests are a small portion, the rioters come from all parts of the political spectrum it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Guys I seen the FB post of a women asking us to help to talk to out TDs .today I seen on live leak. ???? Pictures if people unarmed been shot .im horrified can we do anything .as normal people. I'm all for the if you can help you should thought . But don't know what todo .im just so sad to see this happen.my friend is from the ukrain and shes a lovely kind mammy of one. My daughters best friend .what to do. ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

cathy01 wrote: »
    Guys I seen the FB post of a women asking us to help to talk to out TDs .today I seen on live leak. ???? Pictures if people unarmed been shot .im horrified can we do anything .as normal people. I'm all for the if you can help you should thought . But don't know what todo .im just so sad to see this happen.my friend is from the ukrain and shes a lovely kind mammy of one. My daughters best friend .what to do. ?????

Cathy, things have changed a lot in the last 24 hours. Have a look at the BBC to see what the latest situation is. The shootings have stopped for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

josip wrote: »
    Cathy, things have changed a lot in the last 24 hours. Have a look at the BBC to see what the latest situation is. The shootings have stopped for now.

Thank you i will. Its so sad in this day and age i thought we had moved on as a society. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

Edit: seems my information was old and not correct.
    according to Euro news, ukraine voted him out.
    which sparked the thought off well then some other random dictator would take over.
    good news or well close to good news, the head of security who got fired for not sending in armed force got hired again.

was rumors going around about their prime minister was resigning but now reports says he won't.
    watched the BBC report which brought some hope but the silence atm was due to the prime minister standing down.
    those protesters have put up with some amazing amount of abuse and torture.

might want to start looking at relief funds, it is Ireland and I would be very surprised if there wasn't one.
    public awareness always helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yanukovych's whereabouts unknown, border guards definitely stopped his plane taking off yesterday, but he could be anywhere by now

His own party has now fully disowned him, labelling him a coward
    "We condemn the cowardly flight of Yanukovych. We condemn the betrayal. We condemn the criminal orders , which framed the common people , soldiers and officers."

It looks like the speaker will be acting president until elections in May. Some ministers have been sacked and even arrested. The deaths of protesters will be investigated as "mass-murder". The boxer Vitali Klitshko has said he will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

The Nationalist Ukrainians compare themselves to Poland, and are conscious of their extreme divergence in economic and social success since the end of the Cold War, and see the EU as realistic escape from Russian Imperialism.

These people believe that their country's economic and political sovereignty is being taken by Russia and they want....wait a second. They want to join the EU?
    You don't elect a government and then allow them to do whatever they please. They still have to adhere to the will of the people, and at least 40% of the Ukrainians wanted to become part of the EU.

I believe that's incorrect. 40% or thereabouts wanted closer ties with the EU, they did not necessarily want full membership of the EU. another 37 or 38% wanted to join the customs union with Russia.
    However, there is a massive chunk of the population who are pro-Russian.

AKA actually Russian. Again more unhelpful dichotomies between sinister, regressive Russian nationalism and "Ukrainian nationalism" which you wrongfully describe as solely being pro-western, liberal and pro-EU in origin.

You conveniently ignore how Russian speakers are ALREADY having their language rights being taken away by the new government...you ignore how mobs of hooligans have destroyed priceless statues simply because they depicted Russians (in the vein of how the Taliban destroyed Buddhist monuments in Afghanistan after seizing power) such as that of Kutuzov in Brody, and numerous statues of Lenin (although Lenin is controversial, statues of him are nonetheless to be treated as historical artefacts and placed in museums and the like, not obliterated). There's obviously a sinister Russophobic streak in the protests (although, of course, not all nationalists behave as such).
    Throw in the extortionist tactics used by Russia via Gazprom

You mean that time Ukraine was illegally siphoning gas off Russia and then cried when Russia expected it to pay at market prices as opposed to the huge discounts it had been getting beforehand?
    The Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and beaten only by Belarus in Europe. Source?
    HIV Infection rates are among the worst in Europe. Ukranians claims that resources for HIV Treatments have been stolen by the Yanukovich government.

Interesting opinions but how are they relevant to the main issue here?
    Many formerly pro-Russian people are also in favour of EU membership.

And my assumption is, that given the recent crises in Europe, many formerly pro-EU Ukrainians are now either pro-Russia or neutral.

Joining the EU is not a magic bullet which ends corruption or economic stagnation or crime or AIDS or whatever.

All fisking aside, the violence here has been truly horrendous and I dearly hope that the Ukrainians do not have to suffer an escalation of said violence.

P.S people are beginning to speculate that Russia might send in the tanks. Such hyperbole is obstructive to a reasoned exploration of the issues at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It has to be said that there was a vein in that Kiev protest who would be the last crowd I'd expect to be described as "pro-EU". What appeared to be extreme Ukranian Nationalists, waved on by elements of the local Orthodox Church. It's a far more complex thing than good vs evil.

And of course now, we have the (for want of a better title) disgruntled "pro-Russian" side outside power.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Probably large scale dissatisfaction, overt corruption?

whatever it is, people are not happy, despite small numbers of more extreme elements who also have their own gripe.

The thing is, Im not sure of the advantage of allowing the Ukraine immediate access to the EU, with the levels of corruption it has. Added to that it seems very naive of the EU to go messing about on Russia's doorstep.
    Apart from the fact Russia supplies the EU with gas and could shut it off at will, makes it appear as if the EU is pushing expansion/integration of the Ukraine and it doesnt seem like that is something Russia would want or be happy with? or could easily use to manage support of nationalistic elements both in Russia and the Ukraine.
    Russia is likely more interested in maintaining what it sees as its areas of interest and how that affects politics at home, regardless of the EU turning up,whether that improves the lot of Ukrainians, which isnt going to happen overnight anyway. Any kind of fighting on Russias doorstep wont be an advantage, for most, maybe a small number would profit from managing the whole thing while the greater number of people would suffer.

Or this could be turned by the Russians as some face saving measure for Russia to come in with some kind of deal which allows them to be rid of Yanukovych but still hold the high moral ground.

If I were the Ukrainians, Id be happier not joining the EU, but reducing corruption, and maintaining ties with both blocs, even improving economic ties with EU but no suggestion of anything further, they a key geographical position between the EU and Russia, that other countries cant really fill ie Bellorussia (worse).

I honestly think there is more going on than meets the eye here, can the EU and Russia really go blundering around and not deal with this properly and allow things to deteriorate, even if both of those parties have no direct control over Ukraine internally (although that is probably not entirely true), they would or could have a lot of influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Magicknight94

I bet that we will have the Western Ukraine and the Eastern Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_in_Ukraine
    Does anyone really believe the EU (which means Germany) and the US give a toss about human rights and corruption in Ukraine? (last time I checked Saudi Arabia was an "ally" of the US and wasn't Saddam once an ally too?)
    Above is the real reason for the interest in "human rights" in Ukraine.
    Deutschland uber alles! - third time lucky perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_in_Ukraine
    Does anyone really believe the EU (which means Germany) and the US give a toss about human rights and corruption in Ukraine? (last time I checked Saudi Arabia was an "ally" of the US and wasn't Saddam once an ally too?)
    Above is the real reason for the interest in "human rights" in Ukraine.
    Deutschland uber alles! - third time lucky perhaps?

Not really, despite what might be said I have to say
    unfortunately
    Energy concerns is probably where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

Ye the western world pointing out russia anti gay position, cause the western world is about everyone have equal rights.. right? :P
    Anyone hear about that deaf guy in america got beaten up by the cops?
    linky
    Land of the free, eh?

• Advertisement

These people believe that their country's economic and political sovereignty is being taken by Russia and they want....wait a second. They want to join the EU?

Political sovereignty?
    They don't care so much about it.
    Why do you think they do?
    & How would a pro-European stance, or a pro-Russian stance, or a completely independent stance alter their political sovereignty?

They are one of the most corrupt countries on the planet and their political sovereignty is largely shaped far more by the geopolitical situation, than by the wishes of the oligarchy (evidently, based on recent events).

What they actually care about, primarily, about the economic divergence between Poland and Ukraine, with many secondary concerns.

graph2.gif
    Source: national statistics committees, IMF
    Table 1. Average Wages in Ukraine, Russia and Poland (dollars per month)

grig_1.gif

Source: National statistics committees, estimates by the Institute of Energy and Finance
    They want economic opportunity. Just like Poland has seen since 1990, and the Ukraine hasn't.

I suggest you read up on the divergence of Poland and Ukraine's economic fate since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
    I believe that's incorrect. 40% or thereabouts wanted closer ties with the EU, they did not necessarily want full membership of the EU. another 37 or 38% wanted to join the customs union with Russia.
    https://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/poll-ukrainian-public-split-over-eu-customs-union-options-332470.html
    Europe is favored by 39 percent of Ukrainians, and 37 percent prefer the Customs Union, said the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology.

Some 76 percent of the Ukrainians polled in the middle of this November said they were ready to take part in a referendum on the foreign policy vector.

Same as before, the European Union is mostly chosen over the Customs Union in the western and central regions (69 percent vs. 11 percent and 43 percent vs. 27 percent), while the Customs Union is more popular in the southern and eastern regions (51 percent vs. 29 percent and 61 percent vs. 15 percent).

Similar with the poll of this September, the entry into the EU mostly gained the support of young Ukrainians (52% of the respondents aged from 18 to 29 and 41 percent of the respondents aged from 30 to 39), while the Customs Union is favored by older citizens (41 percent of the respondents aged from 50 to 59, 42% of the respondents aged from 60 to 69, and 48 percent of the respondents older than 70).

Their past is with the Russian Federation certainly.
    Evidently, they want their future to be with Europe.

I - personally - do not want the Ukraine to be admitted to the EU until there is some serious reform, lest we risk another Bulgarian situation.

AKA actually Russian. Again more unhelpful dichotomies between sinister, regressive Russian nationalism and "Ukrainian nationalism" which you wrongfully describe as solely being pro-western, liberal and pro-EU in origin.

Strawman argument.
    I neither wrote not implied Russian nationalism was regressive nor that Ukrainian nationalism is positive.
    You made that distinction.

What I actually wrote is that ethnic Russians (such as my partner) as vehemently patriotic, in a way which is entirely foreign to most Westerners.
    The Russian media are partially to blame here: For example, some elements of the media had initially reported that the Ukranians were protesting because they didn't want to join the EU:D

However, many Russian natives are more sceptical and have much more balanced/realistic opinions - particularly those outside the Moscow & St.Petersburg regions, and see Russia as Moscow-centric, much like rUK see the UK as London-centric.

You conveniently ignore how Russian speakers are ALREADY having their language rights being taken away by the new government

That legal change occurred after I had made my post, so unless I you believe I have a crystal ball...

I personally don't approve of it, but this particular regressive measure is hardly isolated to the Ukraine.

A similar situation has existed in the other former Warsaw Pact countries for years, and it is hardly targeted solely at Russians.
    http://www.economist.com/node/21549987
    Lithuanian law says official documents, such as passports and birth certificates, may be written only in the Lithuanian alphabet, which lacks the letter W and most of the diacritical marks of Polish.
    ...you ignore how mobs of hooligans have destroyed priceless statues simply because they depicted Russians (in the vein of how the Taliban destroyed Buddhist monuments in Afghanistan after seizing power) such as that of Kutuzov in Brody, and numerous statues of Lenin (although Lenin is controversial, statues of him are nonetheless to be treated as historical artefacts and placed in museums and the like, not obliterated). There's obviously a sinister Russophobic streak in the protests (although, of course, not all nationalists behave as such).

Again, that's hardly isolated to the Ukraine.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/deadly-riots-in-tallinn-soviet-memorial-causes-rift-between-estonia-and-russia-a-479809.html

We tore down or blew up our monuments post-revolutionary struggle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson's_Pillar

(Something the Russians might know a bit about themselves?)

You mean that time Ukraine was illegally siphoning gas off Russia and then cried when Russia expected it to pay at market prices as opposed to the huge discounts it had been getting beforehand?

There is no denying that Ukraine did that, but you deny that Russia has used Gazprom as a political weapon against Ukraine, Moldova etc?

p.s. Huge discounts? Mykola Azarov seems to disagree
    Americans pay $70 for 1000 cubic meters of gas when Ukraine pays $550 to Russia for the same amount.
    Mykola Azarov, Ukraine Prime Minister

Why did Russia ban the importation of Moldovan Wine?

Why did Russia (& Belarus) ban the importation of Ukranian Choclate?

Then lift it after Yanukovich reneged on the EU agreement? LOL:p

Eggy Baby wrote:
    Source?
    https://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/transparency-international-slams-ukraine-as-most-corrupt-in-europe-332965.html

In its 2013 Corruption Perceptions Index released today, Transparancy International slammed Ukraine, calling the country the most corrupt nation in Europe and the fifth most corrupt in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).

Ukraine tied for 144th place in the ranking with Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Iran, Nigeria, and Papua New Guinea. That ranking placed it ahead of several Central Asian post-Soviet states, including Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.

Ukraine’s position remains unchanged from 2012, though Ukraine’s score fell, indicating a marginally higher level of corruption over the previous year.
    Eggy Baby wrote:
    Interesting opinions but how are they relevant to the main issue here?

How does the belief of Ukranian citizens that the Ukranian government has stolen vast quantities of money from their HIV fund - Sochi style - or their international reputation for corruption, cause an internal dispute?

I don't really need to elaborate do I?
    And my assumption is, that given the recent crises in Europe, many formerly pro-EU Ukrainians are now either pro-Russia or neutral.

That's nice, but the Polls I quoted above from the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology, don't reinforce that assumption.

Joining the EU is not a magic bullet which ends corruption or economic stagnation or crime or AIDS or whatever.

Agree. Hence why I'm personally very reluctant to admit them pre-reform.
    All fisking aside, the violence here has been truly horrendous and I dearly hope that the Ukrainians do not have to suffer an escalation of said violence.

P.S people are beginning to speculate that Russia might send in the tanks. Such hyperbole is obstructive to a reasoned exploration of the issues at hand.

Russia won't send the military into Western Ukraine.
    The Russian military are already in Eastern Ukraine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement