Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the great leaders in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Well, like i say, there is a certain level of legitimacy lacking when such a large section of the population is excluded from the vote. i suppose President of Most of Ireland doesnt sound quite as impressive

He's the President of the Republic of Ireland, and a large section of the population of the Republic of Ireland is not excluded from the vote in those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Ah would you quit man. As if i needed another reason to vote SF

He was genuinely awful, worse than if Adams or Mary Lou had run. There's no way he would get support from anyone who wasn't already a die heard Sinner to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Calina wrote: »
    He's the President of the Republic of Ireland, and a large section of the population of the Republic of Ireland is not excluded from the vote in those terms.

That's not what his official title is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

C14N wrote: »
    He was genuinely awful, worse than if Adams or Mary Lou had run. There's no way he would get support from anyone who wasn't already a die heard Sinner to begin with.

So there were a quarter of a million die hard shinners in the south in 2011.
    Sounds like a good foundation to build a party on. I mean, if that's just the hard core.

So there were a quarter of a million die hard shinners in the south in 2011.
    Sounds like a good foundation to build a party on. I mean, if that's just the hard core.

Not really when the party in its present form had been around for about 40 years at the time. That was around 14% of the vote (pretty typical for what SF got in general political polls at the time) and, based purely on personal experience, very few people who choose FF, FG or Labour tend to go for Sinn Fein as a second choice in general elections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Those type of people are not stupid enough to go into politics in the first place and are more than likely running or high up in various major multi-national companies around the world
    Somehow I doubt the CEOs of major multinationals seriously considered going into politics before ultimately deciding it was unwise or stupid to do so due to some of the reasons given in this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Where are all the great leaders in Irish politics and our public service?
    Where are the strong, inspirational leaders you would be proud of? We did have them in the past.

Our last great leader in either politics or the public service was Lieutenant General Dermot Earley DSM.

An absolute mountain of a man, who cared about every last soldier in his organisation, he knew exactly how to make people buy into an idea, could walk into a room and instantly have the attention of every single person there and he had no issues with facing civil servants head on.

There's no doubt in my mind that a career in Irish politics would have followed the ending of his service in the Defence Forces and it's Ireland's loss that such a move wasn't realised.

K4t wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt the CEOs of major multinationals seriously considered going into politics before ultimately deciding it was unwise or stupid to do so due to some of the reasons given in this thread..

It's not that they made a list of pros and cons of each option and then picked "be CEO of a multinational company" over "be Taoiseach" but the fact that politicians in this country get so much flack means that smart and charismatic people won't even consider it in the first place and will instead tend to just drift toward private jobs. If we had a culture where being a politician or a leader of the country was widely looked upon as a noble role that demanded respect, more people would just grow up or come out of school aspiring to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

C14N wrote: »
    It's not that they made a list of pros and cons of each option and then picked "be CEO of a multinational company" over "be Taoiseach" but the fact that politicians in this country get so much flack means that smart and charismatic people won't even consider it in the first place and will instead tend to just drift toward private jobs. If we had a culture where being a politician or a leader of the country was widely looked upon as a noble role that demanded respect, more people would just grow up or come out of school aspiring to do that.
    A great leader would help change the culture (See Obama), not wait until it's fashionable and noble to be a leader. The smart and charismatic CEOS obviously lack something too which would make them great political leaders i.e. a sense of duty.

K4t wrote: »
    A great leader would help change the culture (See Obama), not wait until it's fashionable and noble to be a leader. The smart and charismatic CEOS obviously lack something too which would make them great political leaders i.e. a sense of duty.

That's great, so what you're basically saying is to just wait around for a messiah to descent from the heavens and come and save the country instead of just trying to encourage competent but existent people to get into politics. And Barack Obama really didn't change the political culture of the US at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement