Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer Phase 1 Application

Options
  • 21-05-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else applying for the Phase 1 Application of becoming a Chartered Engineer (i.e. that they have met the educational standard required)?

I've only got a BEng lvl 8 so I need a range of CPD and further learning on top of that to meet the educational standard required. The requirements explain that a 4,000 word formation report is required and the deadline is the last weekend in June but I can't find or see any way to apply for this online. Iv'e got my report half complete but would like to talk to a few other people in the same situation!

Comments

I got an e-mail from Engineers Ireland before giving me the following link:

http://www.engineersireland.ie/membership/chartered-application/declarations.aspx

(You may need to sign in, close the page, and then reopen the link for it to work).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

I get to that page if I click on the link to apply for full chartered status from my profile so I don't think so. I've emailed them there so hopefully will get a response soon.

I'd still like to talk to anyone in the same situation though!

Odd. I would say it might take awhile to get a reply - they seem mad busy trying to accommodate people in the January 2014 applications (like me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

If you got your level 8 degree during or before 2012, you don't need further learning apart from the usual CPD (as long as you apply before the end of 2020). If you look at the new regulations, section 1.3 should clarify things for you (1.3.2 (b) applies to you). If you are already a member of Engineers Ireland, my understanding of it is that if you contact them, they will confirm that you have already passed Phase 1 (assuming they already have your qualification details and that you have been a member for at least 3 months) and that you can proceed to Phase 2 using the online application on the right hand side of your profile page. I'd say the best thing is to ring them.

I only graduated in 2013 so have to take the new route.
    I heard back from IEI today and due to the number of submissions they received at the last deadline, they've extended the next deadline from the last Friday in June until the last Friday in September so that they can deal with the backlog. They're still finalising the Phase 1 On-line application and they will be posting it on-line in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Is anyone else applying for the Phase 1 Application of becoming a Chartered Engineer (i.e. that they have met the educational standard required)?

I've only got a BEng lvl 8 so I need a range of CPD and further learning on top of that to meet the educational standard required. The requirements explain that a 4,000 word formation report is required and the deadline is the last weekend in June but I can't find or see any way to apply for this online. Iv'e got my report half complete but would like to talk to a few other people in the same situation!

Regardless of your educational standard as a 2013 graduate you dont meet the rest of the requirements do you?

godtabh wrote: »
    Regardless of your educational standard as a 2013 graduate you dont meet the rest of the requirements do you?

I'm hoping so, this is the 1st round of these applications so we'll see how it goes!

The route I'm applying under states:

"You are eligible to apply through this route if you have qualified from an engineering programme accredited by Engineers Ireland as requiring further learning to meet the educational standard required of a Chartered Engineer. This is normally, but not always, at Level 8 on the Irish NFQ. In addition to that you have completed a range of CPD and further learning that, combined, is substantially equivalent to the learning outcomes of an accredited master’s degree in engineering. This route also applies to you if you have a degree awarded by the Engineering Council UK, under the Washington Accord, as requiring further learning"

And continues:

"Your further learning might include (this is not an exhaustive list):
    • the completion of a full master’s in another subject area (e.g., Master of Business Administration (MBA), Project Management), etc.
    • the completion of modules of further study at Level 9 on the Irish NFQ (e.g., the Future Professionals Series with Engineers Ireland, Project Management,
    • a Level 9 diploma in an engineering subject area such as environmental or energy engineering).
    • the completion of relevant CPD training or certification.
    • the involvement in a mentor–mentee relationship leading to development of knowledge required.
    • the completion of engineering research in the workplace, which has facilitated your development of the further learning required at master’s degree level."

I've done further study at Level 9 (The the Future Professionals Series with Engineers Ireland), am involved in a mentor-mentee relationship and I've 30 days (and counting) CPD since graduation. The guidance also states that the average time to satisfy this requirement is 12 months, when my report is submitted I will be 15 months graduated.
    I also have 18months experience prior to graduating so am somewhat further advanced in my career than most 2013 graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

That's all fine for completing Phase 1 but as I read it, you need a minimum of 3 years' responsible experience post attaining Phase 1 eligibility, i.e. 3 years after you got your Level 9 qualification (in particular, see sections 1.2, 7.1.1 & 7.3 of the Regulations). They may accept a maximum of 1 year IPD prior to that (see 7.4) but it's not a given.

That's all fine for completing Phase 1 but as I read it, you need a minimum of 3 years' responsible experience post attaining Phase 1 eligibility, i.e. 3 years after you got your Level 9 qualification (in particular, see sections 1.2, 7.1.1 & 7.3 of the Regulations). They may accept a maximum of 1 year IPD prior to that (see 7.4) but it's not a given.

I am only talking about the application for phase 1.
    There is a whole mini-assessment complete with report and interview etc. now involved for this.
    Once I (hopefully) have been found to satisfy the requirements for phase 1, then I have to gain 3 years experience (since satisfying phase 1) before I can apply to become chartered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm hoping so, this is the 1st round of these applications so we'll see how it goes!

The route I'm applying under states:

"You are eligible to apply through this route if you have qualified from an engineering programme accredited by Engineers Ireland as requiring further learning to meet the educational standard required of a Chartered Engineer. This is normally, but not always, at Level 8 on the Irish NFQ. In addition to that you have completed a range of CPD and further learning that, combined, is substantially equivalent to the learning outcomes of an accredited master’s degree in engineering. This route also applies to you if you have a degree awarded by the Engineering Council UK, under the Washington Accord, as requiring further learning"

And continues:

"Your further learning might include (this is not an exhaustive list):
    • the completion of a full master’s in another subject area (e.g., Master of Business Administration (MBA), Project Management), etc.
    • the completion of modules of further study at Level 9 on the Irish NFQ (e.g., the Future Professionals Series with Engineers Ireland, Project Management,
    • a Level 9 diploma in an engineering subject area such as environmental or energy engineering).
    • the completion of relevant CPD training or certification.
    • the involvement in a mentor–mentee relationship leading to development of knowledge required.
    • the completion of engineering research in the workplace, which has facilitated your development of the further learning required at master’s degree level."

I've done further study at Level 9 (The the Future Professionals Series with Engineers Ireland), am involved in a mentor-mentee relationship and I've 30 days (and counting) CPD since graduation. The guidance also states that the average time to satisfy this requirement is 12 months, when my report is submitted I will be 15 months graduated.
    I also have 18months experience prior to graduating so am somewhat further advanced in my career than most 2013 graduates.
    \

Have you been indoctrinated in to the Church of AH?

That was the point I was going to make

• Advertisement

If anyone else is applying for this, contact Engineers Ireland.
    I had been in contact with them on numerous occasions about the application and was told that the application would be online like it is for the main application.
    I emailed today and was told it would be via email which is fine but they now have an application form which is structured for the requirements and far more guidance than was previously available - wish I had been made aware of this earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

Hi, I am thinking about applying to become chartered in the next while, I was talking to EI and I need to get my CPD hours up first, so it will be next year before I apply. But besides that I see the criterion 1 Design........ that may be a slight problem for me as I am a site based engineer with a civil company. Is there a way around this or anyone else in the same position?

Also thinking about doing courses to improve my further learning besides CPD, has anyone done this?

Any advice / opinions would be great.

Advertisement