Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reserve Defence Forces - Still recruiting?

• 11-05-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Reserve Defense Forces are taking people on at the moment? How do I get involved? When can one expect to start? Their website isnt brilliant.

I wear glasses and have a record of asthma. Is that a problem?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
    Justin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

You're in for a long wait. I know my coy is only dealing with people who have already had their paperwork in the system rather than looking for people. And you can't start training until security clearance comes back with in my case was about 9 months + :(

But your best bet is to contact or go down on a parade night show you face, talk to them, see whats happening and hopefully they can sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

As with what craigsy said, the recruitment process is alot longer at the moment as there is only drips of people being approved every x months to be attested. But again its better to attend and go through all the paper work and be ready for when its your turn.

You wont be able to attend anything next week, but do drop down on the week starting the 23rd, if you have an idea of what unit you wish to join ring ahead or email one of the following:

http://www.military.ie/reserve/want-to-find-out-more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Craigsy wrote: »
    You're in for a long wait. I know my coy is only dealing with people who have already had their paperwork in the system rather than looking for people. And you can't start training until security clearance comes back with in my case was about 9 months + :(

But your best bet is to contact or go down on a parade night show you face, talk to them, see whats happening and hopefully they can sort you out

Sound. Thanks.

Cool.

Just been looking at the following website http://www.62infantry.com/Joining.shtml
    Baldonnel or Cathal Brugha Barracks are the only ones I know that are close by.

I live in Drogheda. Is there a RDF unit closer than Dublin?

Does anyone know if history of asthma in last four years is a problem for attempting to join Irish Army itself should they be recruiting next year? Thats presuming this country is still in existence next year. The way things are going, I'm not overly confident.
    Asthma medical history has already prevented me joining British Army and fighting for the Queen ;-)

I'm 29 now so its looking like the only crowd that will realistically recruit me at this stage is the Taliban :-)

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Justin1982 wrote: »
    Cool.

Just been looking at the following website http://www.62infantry.com/Joining.shtml

Does anyone know if history of asthma in last four years is a problem for attempting to join Irish Army itself should they be recruiting next year? Thats presuming this country is still in existence next year. The way things are going, I'm not overly confident.
    Asthma medical history has already prevented me joining British Army and fighting for the Queen ;-)

I'm 29 now so its looking like the only crowd that will realistically recruit me at this stage is the Taliban :-)

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, 29 means you are now too old for the Irish Defence Forces. The PDF anyway. You have six years until hit the RDF age limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Justin1982 wrote: »
    Cool.

RDF Unit Locator

Drogheda unit info

Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan, Kells and Swords all have RDF units or at least they used to. Even McKee Barracks in Dublin would be closer to you than Cathal Brugha or Baldonnel.

If you make a few phone calls or send a few emails, you'll be pointed in the right direction but there's no knowing when exactly they'll be recruiting again. Your best bet is to just be on the radar of a unit for when/if they do get the go ahead to recruit.

Craigsy wrote: »

Some pre-induction training does take place once a month or so. It's just classes and a little bit of drill training while waiting for security clearance/approval to recruit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan, Kells and Swords all have RDF units or at least they used to. Even McKee Barracks in Dublin would be closer to you than Cathal Brugha or Baldonnel.

tut tut tut

can assure you we are ALL still in existence and VERY active training wise!!! the recruitment embargo has thinned us out a bit though. Im in swords, the drog unit is down the bottom of the road that the football stadium and the lourdes hospital is on. cant miss it, the eegits blended it into the urban surroundings by painting it DPM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

tut tut tut

can assure you we are ALL still in existence and VERY active training wise!!! the recruitment embargo has thinned us out a bit though. Im in swords, the drog unit is down the bottom of the road that the football stadium and the lourdes hospital is on. cant miss it, the eegits blended it into the urban surroundings by painting it DPM.

Some pre-induction training does take place once a month or so. It's just classes and a little bit of drill training while waiting for security clearance/approval to recruit.

This is being clamped down on and stopped for various reasons, mainly as until you are attested you are still a civvie

• Advertisement

Grand thanks for the comments. I'll try get in the system and hope they start recruiting in the next year or two. A unit near Lourdes hospital in Drogheda? Thats a small bit of luck at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

your looking for the 67th reserve with HQ coy based in droagheda drop me a pm and ill see if i can get you some names and numbers

Morphéus wrote: »
    tut tut tut

can assure you we are ALL still in existence and VERY active training wise!!!

I'm happy to hear that and I didn't mean to question you're existence or activity, just wanted to add a disclaimer in case I'd gotten my facts wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is being clamped down on and stopped for various reasons, mainly as until you are attested you are still a civvie

This is incorrect. "Because You're a Civvie" isn't the reason.

trellheim wrote: »
    This is incorrect. "Because You're a Civvie" isn't the reason.

It is one of the reason as because you are a civvie you cannot receive military training. Another reason being a certain incident with a local newspaper and a bit of a hoo hah for a unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

oh never heard about that what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

Cryos wrote: »
    As with what craigsy said, the recruitment process is alot longer at the moment as there is only drips of people being approved every x months to be attested. But again its better to attend and go through all the paper work and be ready for when its your turn.

You wont be able to attend anything next week, but do drop down on the week starting the 23rd, if you have an idea of what unit you wish to join ring ahead or email one of the following:

http://www.military.ie/reserve/want-to-find-out-more

Im 16 and im still in school and I want to join the reserve defence forces . I live in Tralee and I was wondering if the barracks was recruiting ? Any info would be appreciated . Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Kiddd94 wrote: »
    Im 16 and im still in school and I want to join the reserve defence forces . I live in Tralee and I was wondering if the barracks was recruiting ? Any info would be appreciated . Thanks

Come back whe you are 17. The situation may be different then.

Kiddd94 wrote: »

Because of the length of time it takes to get Garda clearance and the fact that there likely won't be any recruitment for a few months they might begin processing your paperwork now. You'll probably be 17 by the time they recruit and you'll have the paperwork and clearance out of the way (unless you've just turned 16).

Contact your local unit in Tralee and ask them, they'll tell you everything you need to know. There's contact details in the unit locator link I provided above and also here for you local unit which is 32 Reserve Infantry Battalion.

Because of the length of time it takes to get Garda clearance and the fact that there likely won't be any recruitment for a few months they might begin processing your paperwork now. You'll probably be 17 by the time they recruit and you'll have the paperwork and clearance out of the way (unless you've just turned 16).

Contact your local unit in Tralee and ask them, they'll tell you everything you need to know. There's contact details in the unit locator link I provided above and also here for you local unit which is 32 Reserve Infantry Battalion.

Thay won't begin processing any of your paperwork until you can produce a birth cert saying you are 17 or older. 31MP alsa have a section in Tralee.

• Advertisement

Thay won't begin processing any of your paperwork until you can produce a birth cert saying you are 17 or older. 31MP alsa have a section in Tralee.

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly sure I've seen it done and it's also mentioned in the FAQ section of that 62 Inf. website.

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly sure I've seen it done and it's also mentioned in the FAQ section of that 62 Inf. website.

Thats the way we used to do it in 32 inf Bn. I don't know anything about how 62 do things. There is so little recruitment these days the units can afford to be choosy, picking those who are already 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

I know this thread is a little out of date but I thought someone who was already following this might have some advice for me.
    I'll be 34 in October and want to get in to the RDF before I get too old (I'm not too old yet, right). I've been trying to get in for about three years now. I initially was just calling up the barracks in Swords every few months to ask what the story is and being told to call back again a few months later. So at the end of last year I went down to McKee barracks on the advice of a friend who is in the RDF and got my name taken down. I haven't heard anything since then.
    I'm starting a Masters Degree in International Security and Conflict in the next couple of weeks (I'm hoping to one day make it in to the UN or another NGO) and so I'm looking in to this again.
    So, my question is, is the fact that someone took my name and said I would get a call about all I can do right now, or is there any point in just calling around every unit I can to see if there is any other way of getting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

do they?! i've never seen them!

I'm not sure what the particular recruitment situation is with the Coy based in Tralee but if your not of legal age to join i doubt your information will be taken at all, I agree with goldie on this one, as soon as you turn 17 turn up on their training nite and speak to them to get the ball rolling.

Yeah, just inside the gate on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Yeah, just inside the gate on the left.

I haven't seen that building/shed used in years! I thought it was disused

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

i filled out all the forms any idea roughly how long before i get called???

i filled out all the forms any idea roughly how long before i get called???

Have you just filled out the forms recently?

If so, 2-3 years, if you keep on their back. Ridiculous amount of time, especially considering you're a volunteer, but that's just the way it is at the minute unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Have you just filled out the forms recently?

If so, 2-3 years, if you keep on their back. Ridiculous amount of time, especially considering you're a volunteer, but that's just the way it is at the minute unfortunately.

It won't be that long, but he'll be waiting a good 6 months before any movement on getting sworn in because of the re-org.

@dazza161989, don't wait for them to ring you. Give it till maybe April and then start getting in contact with them, asking for any update, go down to the barracks if necessary.

• Advertisement

Turbine wrote: »
    It won't be that long, but he'll be waiting a good 6 months before any movement on getting sworn in because of the re-org.

I'm not trying to dishearten him but unfortunately, there's very, very little movement in the way of recruitment at the minute, as you know, and there's likely a long waiting list of potential recruits who'll be above him in the pecking order. Add to that the usual long waiting time on Garda vetting and so on and it all adds up. 6 months would be nice, but highly unlikely.

Advertisement